Round 2 : Sale of the team

Well, here is something:

"Has a prospective owner been rejected• Yes. Several times," said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, pointing to the failed 1998 bid for the Vikings led by novelist Tom Clancy and the 1999 pursuit of the Redskins by New York developer Howard Milstein.

"Often the rejection is somewhat informal. In other words, it becomes clear that there will not be sufficient support or that there are insurmountable hurdles to approval, and the prospective owner withdraws prior to a formal vote being taken."

http://triblive.com/...s/s_581142.html

I see your point but I'm not sure that the Clancy example is a good one. I have to shake some cobwebs out of the memory here, but back when I spent more time following sports I recall reading an article indicating that Jerry Jones had spoken to Clacny about the Vikings deal and learned that Clancy was putting a "mere" $5m of Clancy's money into the deal. Jones pointed out that Jones had just given a guard (Larry Allen, I believe) $5m, with the point being that Clancy was grossly undercapitalized. Milstein seems to be a much better example - not sure why his bid was rejected.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point but I'm not sure that the Clancy example is a good one. I have to shake some cobwebs out of the memory here, but back when I spent more time following sports I recall reading an article indicating that Jerry Jones had spoken to Clacny about the Vikings deal and learned that Clancy was putting a "mere" $5m of Clancy's money into the deal. Jones pointed out that Jones had just given a guard (Larry Allen, I believe) $5m, with the point being that Clancy was grossly undercapitalized. Milstein seems to be a much better example - not sure why his bid was rejected.

Agreed. My point being, some prospective owners are indeed rejected. But most are rejected before a vote takes place. Most.

Fans that are worried, please dont be. This will be over soon. Only 2 possible owners, Golisano group or the Pegula's. Golisano is the easy sale, Pegula the trust has to vet thoroughly. I will guess that after the vetting process Pegula passes with flying colors and the sale to Pegula goes very quickly.

Truth: do you agree with Kirby and others that Pegula is the preferred buyer? Thanks for the insight.

My birthday is September 4, this would be an amazing gift.

Truth: do you agree with Kirby and others that Pegula is the preferred buyer? Thanks for the insight.

My birthday is September 4, this would be an amazing gift.

The trust does things like Ralph did things. They like people they know. They know Golisnao. Thats all I know. But based on PEgula's wealth and political support, if he wants the team and passes the vetting process I don't see how the Pegula's lose.

The stadium is one way. Its a huge factor in all of this. One has to believe Terry and Kim Pegula planned this purchase years ago and have a solid stadium plan in place. Everything the Pegula's have done so far shows they were well prepared and ready to buy the Bills. Would not be shocked to hear this week or next that they have been chosen as the next owners.

The trust does things like Ralph did things. They like people they know. They know Golisnao. Thats all I know. But based on PEgula's wealth and political support, if he wants the team and passes the vetting process I don't see how the Pegula's lose.

The stadium is one way. Its a huge factor in all of this. One has to believe Terry and Kim Pegula planned this purchase years ago and have a solid stadium plan in place. Everything the Pegula's have done so far shows they were well prepared and ready to buy the Bills. Would not be shocked to hear this week or next that they have been chosen as the next owners.

A couple of things. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Mrs. Pegula may well be the controlling owner. Putting aside Kim's local upbringing and the benefit that her youth provides to the future ownership question, it would be such a good "look" for the NFL to have a young, female, minority owner. Not that the Ray Rice story is a reason to do something like this, but Kim would be good for the NFL on so many levels.

On the political end of things, maybe I'm not hearing the same things as you, but my impression is that the relevant pols are more concerned with a buyer keeping the team here than with the identity of the buyer. Perhaps Cuomo would prefer the Pegulas because the Pegula wealth might lessen the state's contribution on a future stadium, but that's speculation on my end. I wondered whether Golisano might have a pipeline into the governor's office through Bob Duffy or maybe Joe Morrelle, but from what you're saying that might not be true.

Are you an insider as well like the others? (Sorry if I missed this question earlier)

Not an insider, just friends with a local media member. I trust her because when the reports came out that Golisano did not submit a bid she said he was still going to bid later, and he did.

Good deal. I know we have a few on here and it's nice to make sure those who are providing info get their due for it.

A couple of things. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Mrs. Pegula may well be the controlling owner. Putting aside Kim's local upbringing and the benefit that her youth provides to the future ownership question, it would be such a good "look" for the NFL to have a young, female, minority owner. Not that the Ray Rice story is a reason to do something like this, but Kim would be good for the NFL on so many levels.

On the political end of things, maybe I'm not hearing the same things as you, but my impression is that the relevant pols are more concerned with a buyer keeping the team here than with the identity of the buyer. Perhaps Cuomo would prefer the Pegulas because the Pegula wealth might lessen the state's contribution on a future stadium, but that's speculation on my end. I wondered whether Golisano might have a pipeline into the governor's office through Bob Duffy or maybe Joe Morrelle, but from what you're saying that might not be true.

Many people here forget about Kim. She is a huge sports fan. I also agree it would be a great look for the NFL.

Pegula's having political support comes from what I read from Tim Graham.. So I dont know if its true or not.

Many people here forget about Kim. She is a huge sports fan. I also agree it would be a great look for the NFL.

Pegula's having political support comes from what I read from Tim Graham.. So I dont know if its true or not.

Thanks for the reply.

Kim Pegula I believe is a BIG X-factor. After reading more than a few articles, she wanted Darcy gone right away after they bought the Sabres. I would not be shocked at all if she was named lead owner in this. By most accounts she is a very bright woman.

Thanks for the reply.

Kim Pegula I believe is a BIG X-factor. After reading more than a few articles, she wanted Darcy gone right away after they bought the Sabres. I would not be shocked at all if she was named lead owner in this. By most accounts she is a very bright woman.

She is awesome. Terry and Kim used to tailgate at Bills games back in the 90's.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd expect her to have more focus on the Sabres than the Bills. She was the driving force in picking up the Amerks.

Thanks for the reply.

If that is true my respect level for her just shot way up.

@JohnKryk: @ByTimGraham is right, re #BonJovi - Jim Kelly talks. Hat-tip to Tim. My column on what it might mean: http://t.co/S9xaceiO7O #Bills

@JohnKryk: In column I report what I'd heard over past 2 mos., re BonJovi reaching out to other partners. TorSun link: http://t.co/WerBo6yEgY #Bills

@ByTimGraham: Source close to Jim Kelly and Jeffrey Gundlach tell me JK met w/Bon Jovi face-to-face in Buffalo last wk to discuss teaming up, but no deal.

I'd expect her to have more focus on the Sabres than the Bills. She was the driving force in picking up the Amerks.

Taro: Fairport born/raised, big get for the hometown and smart for the organization and business as a whole. Bengnini has reported a few times that she plays a big role in this and has taken a more active role in the empire as of late. Again, very bright by accounts.

If that is true my respect level for her just shot way up.

Monkey: by the accounts I have read, she is painted as the heavy between the two. Not ruthless, but very matter of fact.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 3m

Source close to Jim Kelly and Jeffrey Gundlach tell me JK met w/Bon Jovi face-to-face in Buffalo last wk to discuss teaming up, but no deal.

Source: "Kelly and Gundlach do not feel confident that their aspirations for keeping the Bills in Buffalo long-term are aligned ..." (1/2)

"... with the interests of the Toronto group." Story coming soon. (2/2)

Edited by BRAWNDO

Truth: if it happens in the next 2 weeks, when the DC backers group heads up for the KC game, first round is on me.

Kirby and Kelly: I owe you a round too. Both of your posts brought me off the ledge on more than a few occasions.

Cheers to you all!

Stayin'

Truth: if it happens in the next 2 weeks, when the DC backers group heads up for the KC game, first round is on me.

Kirby and Kelly: I owe you a round too. Both of your posts brought me off the ledge on more than a few occasions.

Cheers to you all!

Stayin'

NFL has to know sometime early September so they can prepare for a vote at the October owners meetings. I have a feeling we get big news very soon. What better time to announce it then right before the season, get fans fired up.