Round 2 : Sale of the team

The paranoia and conspiracy theories are out of control.

Hmmm... That's just what JBJ/Rogers/Tanenbaum/The Freemasons/The Know-Nothings/Tom Brady/The Seven Sons of Mao would have us believe. Just who IS Kirby Jackson? Has anyone asked themselves that question?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://t.co/6EaQPSoEAS

"Two sources familiar with the sales process told The News the Kellys have made lofty partnership demands: 2 percent equity in the team, lifetime jobs for Jim and Dan, an up-front cash payment for their services and final say on all football decisions."

I've always liked Jim Kelly and I know what he means to us Bills fans, but I think Jim is being delusional with his requests.

The one "demand" that is shockingly missing from the list of "demands" in the report above is an ironclad agreement that the Bills stay in BUFFALO. Perhaps they did and it has not been reported.

I have no idea whether any of these reports are true or recite all of the demands. I do know that I do not trust JBJ and his Toronto money people. Why would anyone in Buffalo trust "Maple Leaf" SE to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

If any of this is true, I am disappointed. Whether he was approached or he approached them, I would like to think that Jim would not allow JBJ/Toronto group to use him like this.

The other thing I know is that I do trust that Kim and Terry Pegula would keep the team in Buffalo for generations. For the first time in about a quarter century, I would not have to worry about the team moving. The only thing we would have to discuss is football related topics like every other team's fans rather than parsing legal documents etc.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

The one "demand" that is shockingly missing from the list of "demands" in the report above is an ironclad agreement that the Bills stay in BUFFALO. Perhaps they did and it has not been reported.

I have no idea whether any of these reports are true or recite all of the demands. I do know that I do not trust JBJ and his Toronto money people. Why would anyone in Buffalo trust "Maple Leaf" SE to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

If any of this is true, I am disappointed. Whether he was approached or he approached them, I would like to think that Jim would not allow JBJ/Toronto group to use him like this.

The other thing I know is that I do trust that Kim and Terry Pegula would keep the team in Buffalo for generations. For the first time in about a quarter century, I would not have to worry about the team moving. The only thing we would have to discuss is football related topics like every other team's fans rather than parsing legal documents etc.

Just my two cents.

If there was a conversation or two, I don't care and I'm not disappointed. If they were to come to an agreement (which I don't see happening) that's a different story. As I've said before, we are privy to the stuff that normally goes on behind the scenes and never gets reported. I guess we think of it as entertainment to a degree, and that explains the strong reactions by some. I look at it as a dark comedy, myself.

Tomorrow, it will be 3 1/2 years since Pegula bought the Sabres. The year before Pegula took ownership, under Golisano, the Sabres won the Northeast division with a 61% winning percentage. In the ensuing seasons, that percentage has receded further each season: 58%... 54%... 50%... 31%. Last year was an all-time franchise record low winning percentage. For the time being, I don't think that the argument that Pegula will bring a Superbowl to the Buffalo Bills is anything other than blind optimism.

On the other side of the coin, I think that the Harborcenter will be a nice feature to the ongoing Canalside development. It's a great project, but the Harborcenter would likely have fallen through without the $37 million in tax incentives that Pegula lobbied for. Carl Paladino's competing project for the Webster Block may have received similar incentives, but one of Paladino's selling points for the project was that it would be minimally subsidized. Regardless of whether Pegula or Paladino developed the land, and whether it was highly or minimally subsidized by taxpayers, it's nice to see a project nearing completion again at Canalside.

Speaking of lobbying, though, I have reservations about the Bills being used as a device to leverage state and county politicians on legislature, in the way that Pegula has used the Sabres. I am glad that other bidders are stepping up, not named Trump or Bon Jovi, that are committed to keeping the team in Buffalo. Competition is a good thing.

This is quite possibly the worst post I've ever seen on this board. Bravo sir.

I guess it must appear on every page so for the 75,001st time Toronto is not an option!! It isn't now or in the future. The NFL has ZERO say in who they want to own the team. They just confirm them (for the 20,000th time). They look at this as a chance to push a new stadium to raise revenues. Ultimately, the decision is in the trust's hands. The paranoia and conspiracy theories are out of control.

Would have been nice if you had made these points clearer and much earlier..... :lol:

Edited by nucci

I guess it must appear on every page so for the 75,001st time Toronto is not an option!! It isn't now or in the future. The NFL has ZERO say in who they want to own the team. They just confirm them (for the 20,000th time). They look at this as a chance to push a new stadium to raise revenues. Ultimately, the decision is in the trust's hands. The paranoia and conspiracy theories are out of control.

The NFL may ultimately approve the trust's initial choice of a winning bidder. That does not mean that the NFL automatically just rubber stamps the choice. The NFL can either confirm or veto any bidder that the trust chooses. That means that the NFL does have a say.

While technically the trust picks a winner and the NFL later confirms or vetoes that choice, I would expect the NFL to let the trust know in advance if any of the round 2 bidders were likely to be vetoed - - simply because it's not clear to me how anyone benefits if a veto is publicized.

The trust has a deadline to pay estate taxes, and if reports about the Bills making up the bulk of Ralph's estate are true, it seems likely that they will not have cash immediately on hand to pay those taxes if the team isn't sold.

So if Goodell informs the trustees that some round 2 bidder is likely to be vetoed by the NFL, the trust is highly likely to choose a different bidder as the winner, and the public may never know the real role that the NFL played in the process.

Saying something 20,000 times doesn't make it true - - it just makes it repetitive.

The NFL may ultimately approve the trust's initial choice of a winning bidder. That does not mean that the NFL automatically just rubber stamps the choice. The NFL can either confirm or veto any bidder that the trust chooses. That means that the NFL does have a say.

While technically the trust picks a winner and the NFL later confirms or vetoes that choice, I would expect the NFL to let the trust know in advance if any of the round 2 bidders were likely to be vetoed - - simply because it's not clear to me how anyone benefits if a veto is publicized.

The trust has a deadline to pay estate taxes, and if reports about the Bills making up the bulk of Ralph's estate are true, it seems likely that they will not have cash immediately on hand to pay those taxes if the team isn't sold.

So if Goodell informs the trustees that some round 2 bidder is likely to be vetoed by the NFL, the trust is highly likely to choose a different bidder as the winner, and the public may never know the real role that the NFL played in the process.

Saying something 20,000 times doesn't make it true - - it just makes it repetitive.

The funny thing about that is, however, the one thing that the NFL would tell the Trust is, "The Toronto group has zero chance of being approved." ;)

That may be true - - but the point is that the NFL has a say.

Yeah, I think they do, too, but I'm curious as to how it is handled. I have no info on that at all. I imagine, however, that as long as things are going the way they are (Pegula being the clear frontrunner) they would not step in or have any say in the proceedings. I also imagine that they get their feelings known somehow, like perhaps through Morgan Stanley. I think the only reason that Pegula hasn't been officially announced as the winner of this is that the three entities, The Trust, Morgan Stanley, and the NFL, all stand to gain the longer it is drawn out and the more faux bidders they keep alive (as well as the non faux bidders like Golisano who simply is not going to bid enough to win it outright.

I imagine the NFL is partly responsible for the Bon Jovi group to be still in the "process" even though they never had a chance in hell for several different reasons.

That may be true - - but the point is that the NFL has a say.

They have the ultimate negative say, That's it. They aren't in the middle of these negotiations. How would "the NFL" know at this stage if someone won't get approved? Is someone is that questionable, don't you think The Trust already knows it? All the owners need to vote. Who contacts The Trust on behalf of the NFL? Goodell?

The idea some are pushing (I'm not saying you are) is the NFL wants the TO group to win. That makes no sense at any level. First of all WHO in the NFL? The NFL is a group of 32 owners. Have they taken a secret vote?

Yeah, I think they do, too, but I'm curious as to how it is handled. I have no info on that at all. I imagine, however, that as long as things are going the way they are (Pegula being the clear frontrunner) they would not step in or have any say in the proceedings. I also imagine that they get their feelings known somehow, like perhaps through Morgan Stanley. I think the only reason that Pegula hasn't been officially announced as the winner of this is that the three entities, The Trust, Morgan Stanley, and the NFL, all stand to gain the longer it is drawn out and the more faux bidders they keep alive (as well as the non faux bidders like Golisano who simply is not going to bid enough to win it outright.

I imagine the NFL is partly responsible for the Bon Jovi group to be still in the "process" even though they never had a chance in hell for several different reasons.

After further review, I can think of one possible way the NFL may play a part in keeping the TO group alive. Perhaps Goodell, or more likely someone else from NFL's front office, could advise The Trust to not simply dismiss the TO group without hearing them out, for legal and PR reasons. That is, no pressure for them to win, but to make sure they weren't discounted prematurely. I might buy that.

Edited by The Dean

Thanks for the rundown because I am unfamiliar with the process (sarcasm font). The bidders remaining (with the possible exception of the JBJ group) would be approved in about 2 seconds. In fact, I have heard that Golisano has already been vetted and approved. That is why he talked about taking control immediately. If you want to look at my 1,000+ posts on the sale and find something that I said would happen that didn't be my guest. Having been through the process twice I have a pretty good sense for what is going on. The guys left (ie Pegula) will be rubber stamped.

Exactly Edited by Kirby Jackson

Thanks for the rundown because I am unfamiliar with the process (sarcasm font). The bidders remaining (with the possible exception of the JBJ group) would be approved in about 2 seconds. In fact, I have heard that Golisano has already been vetted and approved. That is why he talked about taking control immediately. If you want to look at my 1,000+ posts on the sale and find something that I said would happen that didn't be my guest. Having been through the process twice I have a pretty good sense for what is going on. The guys left (ie Pegula) will be rubber stamped.

But, but. but....what if....

:lol:

They have the ultimate negative say, That's it. They aren't in the middle of these negotiations. How would "the NFL" know at this stage if someone won't get approved? Is someone is that questionable, don't you think The Trust already knows it? All the owners need to vote. Who contacts The Trust on behalf of the NFL? Goodell?

The idea some are pushing (I'm not saying you are) is the NFL wants the TO group to win. That makes no sense at any level. First of all WHO in the NFL? The NFL is a group of 32 owners. Have they taken a secret vote?

After further review, I can think of one possible way the NFL may play a part in keeping the TO group alive. Perhaps Goodell, or more likely someone else from NFL's front office, could advise The Trust to not simply dismiss the TO group without hearing them out, for legal and PR reasons. That is, no pressure for them to win, but to make sure they weren't discounted prematurely. I might buy that.

The easiest one to believe is that they are still a possibility and that they have bid 1.2b so Pegula has to go to (or stay at 1.3b to ensure the win). He could, for all intents and purposes call their bluff, but he probably wouldn't.