Round 2 : Sale of the team

I think putting any sports team in Canada makes them irrelevant to most Americans. Think about the Blue Jays and Raptors. No one cares about them. (I skip the Leafs because hockey is mostly irrelevant to American fans anyway.)

Most Americans cannot locate Canada on a map anyways.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Toronto group could still reshuffle with the same group of people and a different controlling owner, allowing them to bid more money. Will they? Who can say, but it is possible.

I think most believe they will keep the team there through the lease. It is after this point where opinions and inside information differ. Is it a ploy to outmaneuver TPegs? We'll find out.

While I doubt it happens or that they end up with the highest bid, it's why I wish like all of us that it was over. ... and yes, I would take that personal and do.

@ByTimGraham: Jim Kelly, Jon Bon Jovi have discussed joining forces to buy the Bills http://t.co/6EaQPSoEAS

I don't think that this is shocking. JBJ wants an NFL team more than he wants a team in Toronto (despite what many want to believe). They were really dumb to not go this route earlier. JBJ, Gundlach and Kelly would have made sense.

@ByTimGraham: Jim Kelly, Jon Bon Jovi have discussed joining forces to buy the Bills http://t.co/6EaQPSoEAS

Noooooo......... All the good Kelly has done in and for Buffalo could be undone in 7 years from now. Don't do it Jim. They are using you for PR, and would squeeze you out in no time.

Edited by Ohiostyle

I don't think that this is shocking. JBJ wants an NFL team more than he wants a team in Toronto (despite what many want to believe). They were really dumb to not go this route earlier. JBJ, Gundlach and Kelly would have made sense.

Kirby would this change the landscape of it being Pegula's to lose?

Bandit and Kirby,

Thanks for your thoughts, guys, but see below:

Hey Sleep.

The short answer is no, no requirement as to how ownership is meted out as far as I know.

That said, it doesn't change anything, as Rogers' wealth is largely tied up in solid assets, and what liquidity he does have is in a Trust that won't likely allow him access for the purchase of a pro sports team.

Hope that helps.

Apparently Bon Jovi is only interested in being the lead guy which would require him to own 30% minimum.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/18/rogers-joins-bon-jovi-and-tanenbaum-in-equal-stakes-bid-to-buy-bills

Sources say the Rogers family, and not Edward alone, is listed as an investor on the intention-to-bid document sent this week to the trust overseeing the sale of the Bills.

If the Toronto group wins the bidding, and the final sale price winds up at, say, $1.2 billion, then because NFL rules cap new-ownership financing at $200 million the three Toronto parties each would have to plop down about $333 million in cash.

If Forbes’ valuation of Bon Jovi is accurate he presumably then would have to drop down to the 30% minimum from 33% and still sell off almost everything merely to get up his share of the cash.

I don't know how good Kryk's info is, and I'm still getting caught up on recent developments. I did see, however, that Forbes recently reported that ALL first stage bids were "well under" $1 billion:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/08/10/all-offers-for-buffalo-bills-below-1-billion/

Kryk's Toronto Sun piece quoted above assumes that if Bon Jovi is designated as "controlling owner," he is required to hold at least a 30% stake. That is widely reported in the media, but I don't know if it's true, for reasons I stated upthread.

For the sake of argument, let's assume it is true. If bids have not yet gone over $1 billion as Forbes reported, I can understand Bon Jovi insisting on being the lead dog, because he thinks he's still in the hunt at this level of bidding.

But if Morgan Stanley in round 2 can keep going back to bidders and asking for more, what happens when Pegula's bid gets too high for the Toronto group to match if Toronto is required to have Bon Jovi plunk down 30% of the cash? We don't know if Bon Jovi would give up the lead dog role when faced with the prospect of being a minority owner or no owner at all, because at least according to Forbes, he hasn't been required to make that decision yet.

And that's assuming that the person designated as the "controlling owner" must have at least a 30% ownership share, which might simply be an assumption (though admittedly frequently made).

@HJKforever: Quick update on all the Jim ownership rumors. The things that you are being told by @ByTimGraham and the media are NOT ACCURATE!

@ByTimGraham: Member of the Kelly family told me if I ever asked him about Jeffrey Gundlach he would deny knowing him. So this doesn't surprise me.

Edited by FluffHead

@HJKforever: Quick update on all the Jim ownership rumors. The things that you are being told by @ByTimGraham and the media are NOT ACCURATE!

@ByTimGraham: Member of the Kelly family told me if I ever asked him about Jeffrey Gundlach he would deny knowing him. So this doesn't surprise me.

I never believed it anyways.