New sale of team thread

Agree on protection of wishes. Almost certainly written into trust. But what about an "all thing being equal" situation - that is, tie or near thing bw two local groups - one who will give them something they want v one that won't. I guess where I struggle is that if Russ isn't a trustee bc of conflict w future employment they (Littman and Owen) seem to have similar problem.

Russ wants to remain. I do not suspect that either of the other 2 do. They do not work out of Orchard Park. They may very well continue working for the Wilson's (and both be walking out with a chunk of the sale). The point is that their future is tied to RW and Russ is tied to the Buffalo Bills. Does that make sense?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure seemed like he played a significant role in the draft day trade for Watkins. All the images and comments suggested the same.

I disagree. Just because he was in the draft room and excited? It was Whaley's baby -- everyone acknowledged that.

Well said, and thanks for the rest of that post as well.

For my part, I have contended planet earth should be a Bon Jovi-free zone for 30 years, and I am glad the sentiment has finally caught on. Horrible tripe, that music.

You got it. Someone here said dont underestimate Russ's role, and I'll say a similar thing about Schumer. Schumer interest alone is a big threat to nfl. Notice gillibrand is uninvolved on issue, and prob wouldn't have the juice to do anything if she was in the mix. Cuomo key too on stadium end, but that doesn't matter if no local buyer or no local mandate.

Russ wants to remain. I do not suspect that either of the other 2 do. They do not work out of Orchard Park. They may very well continue working for the Wilson's (and both be walking out with a chunk of the sale). The point is that their future is tied to RW and Russ is tied to the Buffalo Bills. Does that make sense?

Absolutely. Totally agree w logic. Likely something in trust precluding future employment for trustees - just bc they wouldn't seem to want it for geograpghical or fiscal reasons doesn't mean something weird couldn't happen - think "Mary Owen, I will make you the queen of the bills and get your mug on espn all the time," and maybe she wants that. Anyhow, agree w you on unlikelihood of conflict, and will guess there is something in trust dealing w that problem.

of course... But he cleaned house with nix, gailey and Fitz. The new crew in its 1st yr, judging from one season and 2 drafts, is progressing. Jmo.

Since you brought up what you liked, I'll add my thoughts . . . . first, Gailey was fired in December before Brandon "took over". If Brandon accelerated the transition from Nix to Whaley, great, I like that move. I think Whaley is a good judge of talent and has had 2 good drafts.

What I don't like are two things:

1- The Watkins trade. Love the player, hate the trade. I would rather the team sit at 9 and take BPA (Ebron, Barr, Beckham to name a few). Giving up that 1st rounder in 2015 was too costly for a WR.

2- Cap management. Bills under spent in 2013 and are under spending again in 2014. I don't understand it. Not to mention the amount of dead money (over $20M!) which is ridiculous.

Jury is out on a few other moves.

I disagree. Just because he was in the draft room and excited? It was Whaley's baby -- everyone acknowledged that.

Whaley was quoted in post-draft interview that Brandon was on the phones with other teams trying to help complete trade.

He was the contact man between the Bills and the Browns. The Bills were negotiating with a few different teams and had a contact man for each one, discussing with the browns or other teams what they wanted or would accept. He was involved in every aspect of the trade, and I'm sure they asked him for his stamp of approval, but I doubt he would have stopped a trade that Whaley wanted to make if he didn't.

Whaley was quoted in post-draft interview that Brandon was on the phones with other teams trying to help complete trade.

The reason Whaley brought that up, in the post-draft interview, is because that's what he used to do in Pittsburgh. Brandon wasn't calling people to make the trade himself, he was just getting people on the line, basically doing the grunt work. That's what Whaley said in the interview because that's what he used to do.

The GM can't be tied up on just one phone call, so they have people doing it for them.

Brandon confirmed this after the draft as well.

The reason Whaley brought that up, in the post-draft interview, is because that's what he used to do in Pittsburgh. Brandon wasn't calling people to make the trade himself, he was just getting people on the line, basically doing the grunt work. That's what Whaley said in the interview because that's what he used to do.

The GM can't be tied up on just one phone call, so they have people doing it for them.

Brandon confirmed this after the draft as well.

There was also a video of it after the draft on bills.com.

Ugh... I'm just ready for this to be over with. Keep the team in town, find a stadium situation that doesn't strain tax payers in any way.

If the team stays the only people I see being upset are a few multimillionaire/billionaire's. If they go the backlash will be huge, and not just in Buffalo. Their is already a growing number of people who believe the league has peaked by pricing itself out of range of the avg person. This whole experience is going to give me gray hair or cause balding. I'd rather that happened more naturally, like paying taxes and raising my kids.

Been loving read all these passionate replies to "Our Team"... Thurman was right in 01/13... with the MOFO tweet.. It's our team and in the end, it will be our team... no interlopers... Gotta Billieve!!!

There was also a video of it after the draft on bills.com.

Yea I remember hearing it on the John Murphy show after the draft. That stuck out to me. They also interviewed Brandon and he confirmed it. Brandon basically said he was there to help as much as he could and that I think he said he had contacts in Cleveland... If I remember correctly.

Since you brought up what you liked, I'll add my thoughts . . . . first, Gailey was fired in December before Brandon "took over". If Brandon accelerated the transition from Nix to Whaley, great, I like that move. I think Whaley is a good judge of talent and has had 2 good drafts.

What I don't like are two things:

1- The Watkins trade. Love the player, hate the trade. I would rather the team sit at 9 and take BPA (Ebron, Barr, Beckham to name a few). Giving up that 1st rounder in 2015 was too costly for a WR.

2- Cap management. Bills under spent in 2013 and are under spending again in 2014. I don't understand it. Not to mention the amount of dead money (over $20M!) which is ridiculous.

It will be interesting to see how this trade plays out over the next few years. I know it isn't the same as the Bennett trade but I like that they are willing to make the moves to get them back and eventually over the top...

I am fine with them not signing players to bad contracts and eating the dead money now. They have lots of players coming up in the next couple seasons and if EJ really flourishes, we can go out and get us some players at a time when the team is ready to make a run....

Yea I remember hearing it on the John Murphy show after the draft. That stuck out to me. They also interviewed Brandon and he confirmed it. Brandon basically said he was there to help as much as he could and that I think he said he had contacts in Cleveland... If I remember correctly.

I guess it wasn't just getting people on the phone. He was relaying the terms that Whaley was in essence setting as far as how much the Bills were willing to pay. It's possible that Brandon made the deal with Farmer or whomever was in charge of the Browns side. But he wasn't doing it out of a position of power, he was carrying out the wishes of Whaley.

I guess it wasn't just getting people on the phone. He was relaying the terms that Whaley was in essence setting as far as how much the Bills were willing to pay. It's possible that Brandon made the deal with Farmer or whomever was in charge of the Browns side. But he wasn't doing it out of a position of power, he was carrying out the wishes of Whaley.

Yea, definitely wasn't out of a position of power. I remember Whaley just referring to that's what he used to do in Pittsburgh(what Brandon was doing). But it wasn't making the decision, it was Whaleys call on the Watkins trade.

@fanalliance: BFA response to @BonJovi letter calling on him to enter into binding agreement waiving escape clause in #Bills lease. http://t.co/X2KFgesl4w

It's a nice letter, but they shouldn't stop at the escape clause. To waive that provision would be a nice show of good faith (or a brilliant ploy, depending on your perspective), but my concern with the bongiovanni group is post lease.

@fanalliance: BFA response to @BonJovi letter calling on him to enter into binding agreement waiving escape clause in #Bills lease. http://t.co/X2KFgesl4w

Why just Bon Jovi? Why not call on Pegula and Golisano to do the same? Most agree that they would keep the Bills in WNY. But if anyone is going to try and demand JBJ enter into a unnecessary binding agreement that could only serve to hurt the team, why not target all potential owners?

Maybe because Pegula and Golisano would have to lose 100 IQ points before doing anything that stupid.

A lot of ridiculousness going on these days and the "fanalliance" is now leading the pack.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I'm beginning to think more and more that the real plan for this group is for the bad guys with real money to deliberately hide behind the rock star for the purchase, but then eventually relegate JBJ to minority background status when they are in a position to move the team.

The only chance they have is to put the largely popular rock star out front to absorb the flack from the public and hope he eventually wins everyone over.

I'm not a conspiracy guy in every instance, but I can't help thinking of that South Park episode about the OJ trial when Johnny Cochran was holding the monkey puppet in front of the jury, saying "Look at the monkey, look at the monkey. And the juror's head explodes.

Look at the rock star, look at the rock star!

Edited by BuffaloBob