Ryan Mallett - back on the block?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Brady plans on playing for another 5yrs, which I believe to be the case. People love to rail on him, but the dude is the ultimate competitor who loves the game. IMO, as long as Brady plays, the Hoodie will coach, too.

He may want to play another 5 years, but he'll be lucky to get halfway there. And the Pats feel the same way given they spent the highest pick on a QB in over 20 years and since Bledsoe this past draft.

Ryan Mallett is a free agent next year. If he believes he can get a chance to play for another team he will be gone on his own accord next season. Houston was interested in trading for him this past offseason but was not willing to give up what the Pats' were asking for.

Will Mallett eventually be better than EJ? I don't know. What I do know is that Mallett and Russell Wilson were available at reasonble spots in their respective draft years. Buddy decided to pass on the prospects. No one can say for sure (other than NYC Bill) that Mallett would have developed with us. But at least he would have gotten playing time and we would have known by now whether he is a legitimate starter in this league. Buddy's passing on Russell Wilson in the third round for TJ Graham has severely affected this franchise. There is a good probability that Graham won't even make this year's roster.

Edited by JohnC

I'd put him up against EJ in a QB competition for the starting job.

No. There can be no competition at QB on this team. Nor can even a late-round pick be spent on a QB. There are EJ's feelings to consider.

If Mallett sees himself as a starter. And most likely he does. They will have a very hard time keeping him when his rookie contract expires,

Spot on. They have no chance at signing him after this season (barring a career ending to Brady). He's simply not going to hold a clipboard for 3 more years.

I watched the Mike Mayock talk about Mallett on NFL network during the Redskins- Patriots ongoing scrimmages. Mayock stated that Mallett always had an NFL arm, and that he looked good in there in place of Brady. That Mallett has become an NFL QB.

The guy is like Brady in that he needs a good line in front of him to make things work. At this point i have to wonder if ole Bill is starting to lose confidence in Brady. Garoppolo looked like crap in throwing a bunch of INT's, and clearly isn't ready to step into the #2 spot. All I know right now is the Patriots look to have a decent backup QB should Brady get injured.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/patriots_training_camp_notes_brady_mallett_shine.html

I watched the Mike Mayock talk about Mallett on NFL network during the Redskins- Patriots ongoing scrimmages. Mayock stated that Mallett always had an NFL arm, and that he looked good in there in place of Brady. That Mallett has become an NFL QB.

The guy is like Brady in that he needs a good line in front of him to make things work. At this point i have to wonder if ole Bill is starting to lose confidence in Brady. Garoppolo looked like crap in throwing a bunch of INT's, and clearly isn't ready to step into the #2 spot. All I know right now is the Patriots look to have a decent backup QB should Brady get injured.

http://www.boston.co...lett_shine.html

The Pats have had a good OL (although I'm expecting the loss of OL coach Dante Scarnecchia to have a major impact on that) and Mallett has still looked bad. As for Garoppolo, I've also heard he looks bad.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/patriots_training_camp_notes_brady_mallett_shine.html

Mayock also rated Blaine Gabbert over Cam Newton. http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2011/02/nfl-draft-expert-mike-mayock-mostly-loves-blaine-gabbert.html

I like Mayock but it's still a guessing game. Especially with Qbs.

The Pats have had a good OL (although I'm expecting the loss of OL coach Dante Scarnecchia to have a major impact on that) and Mallett has still looked bad. As for Garoppolo, I've also heard he looks bad.

Belichick has essentially developed one qb as a head coach.

Ryan Mallett is a free agent next year. If he believes he can get a chance to play for another team he will be gone on his own accord next season. Houston was interested in trading for him this past offseason but was not willing to give up what the Pats' were asking for.

Right on from the players perspective. He can afford to wait. And there's a lot of risk for any team trading for Mallet. They would have to give up some picks and make a decision to commit to a new deal without a lot of information here. And what information would they use to make an evaluation of whether or not to commit big money and term? The guy hasn't played a regular season NFL game. Bringing in a QB you envision as your starter but has no experience at this point in training camp? Not seeing that as a winning formula.

Gotta believe the smart money passes here and if interested waits until the free agency period starts next year to express interest without giving up any draft choices. Pats are going to come up empty unless they find some desperate GM to deal with here. Mallet is better off riding the bench another season and getting some freedom in picking next gig..

Where is BuffaloBarbarian and how does Mallett stack up with Osweiler??

Probably go with OZ at this point but would take either over ej B-)

Tuel & TJ Graham for Mallet - Straight up no picks. #NoWayInHellThePatsTradeMalletToTheBills

DEAL!

All I know is that if BB dislikes Mallett than I say we have to make the trade.

too late

Will Mallett eventually be better than EJ? I don't know. What I do know is that Mallett and Russell Wilson were available at reasonble spots in their respective draft years. Buddy decided to pass on the prospects. No one can say for sure (other than NYC Bill) that Mallett would have developed with us. But at least he would have gotten playing time and we would have known by now whether he is a legitimate starter in this league. Buddy's passing on Russell Wilson in the third round for TJ Graham has severely affected this franchise. There is a good probability that Graham won't even make this year's roster.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mallet is better than EJ.

tonight is his chance with the 1's.

Mallet will be traded this year, probably within a week.

Mallet has a rocket arm and is very accurate.

he had maturity issues coming out of college (alcohol).

I would give up next years second rounder for him.

Mallet is better than EJ.

tonight is his chance with the 1's.

Mallet will be traded this year, probably within a week.

Mallet has a rocket arm and is very accurate.

he had maturity issues coming out of college (alcohol).

I would give up next years second rounder for him.

Some evidence of this would be nice, given that he's got all of 4 NFL attempts with 1 completion and an INT.

Also, his college stats don't exactly speak to your accuracy claim, given that his best season was a 64.7 completion percentage. He was a career 60.8 percent passer.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-mallett-1.html

For the record, EJ--who you claim is not accurate--was a career 67% passer, with a best season of 68%.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ej-manuel-1.html

I know you don't like EJ, but occasionally contributing a fact to the diatribe doesn't hurt.

Also, giving up a 2nd round pick in a draft where you have no first-round pick, let alone for a guy that was originally a 3rd rounder that hasn't started a game and has all of 4 career passing attempts, who may or may not have a drug problem, and who probably isn't going to win the #2 job in NE, would be massively stupid IMO.

I don't see Mallet fitting in with this offense. Liked him as a player alot, favorite mid round prospect besides maybe Glennon, but he is a pure pocket QB who relies on a rocket arm.

Sometimes a QB's success is dependent on what team he goes to, even if R.Wilson was drafted instead of Graham absolutely no guarantee he would be as good as he is perceived now.

@AlbertBreer: 1 AFC exec this AM on Mallett trade value: "4/5 now. You'd want to do a long-term deal. Not ideal to trade for him, unless a QB gets hurt."

IMO it makes no sense for a team to trade for him. He has 1 year left on his deal and has 3 weeks to learn the playbook. If you are bringing him in as a backup, then you are wasting a draft pick and renting him because he will just leave in FA to go somewhere he has a chance to start. Sure there is a possibility he ends up playing, and starting, somewhere like here... But that is a big risk using a 4th rd pick for that and someone you've never seen play a real game.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't see Mallet fitting in with this offense. Liked him as a player alot, favorite mid round prospect besides maybe Glennon, but he is a pure pocket QB who relies on a rocket arm.

Sometimes a QB's success is dependent on what team he goes to, even if R.Wilson was drafted instead of Graham absolutely no guarantee he would be as good as he is perceived now.

Is Russell Wilson a more effective qb playing for the Seahawks rather than the Bills? Absolutely. You can say that about all qbs playing with good teams compared to mediocre teams. But what is apparent about Wilson is that he is mobile, an accurate passer, a terrific decision-maker and an exceptional leader. Those attributes are associated with him regardless where he plays.

I'm not an EJ basher although at this time I can't say for sure he will develop into a legitimate franchise qb. My sense of him is that he is the type of qb that is going to take time for him to get to a point where he can be relied on. If he steadily improves I will be satisfied.

But let's not get carried away with a hometown bias. There isn't anyone associated with the NFL who wouldn't prefer Wilson over Manuel, either now or at a later time. (I'm not suggesting that you are making that claim.) Although it is a very early stage in Wilson's career the near unanimous opinion is that RW is a quality starting qb. For Manuel it is still a very open question whether he will develop into an adequate starting qb.