Belated, Abbreviated Thoughts, in no particular order.....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) I liked what I saw of Bradham too. Light appears to be on. And they really need him to step up.

3) I agree with what you are saying there. The depth is going to push these veteran OL to work thru their injuries and just be tougher, IMO. Competition is good and it's been forever since there was any on the Bills OL. I must say I am shocked at how well Seantrel played. He pretty much sleep walked thru his entire Miami career. Interesting that he and Cyrus were both the top OT's in their class by various publications(Cyrus was rated the #1 recruit in the country regardless of position going into his senior year according to The Sporting News....Clowney was #2). Cyrus has talent too, I expect to see him play better but you gotta' be disappointed with him so far. Maybe with the depth on the OL the Bills take a chance and redshirt him this year and see if another surgery can get his knee right.

5)Bryce Brown is electric. I remember tuning in to his breakout game with the Eagles and I thought for a second it was McCoy. He literally has McCoy-type running talent. And they got him with a 7th round pick. You can imagine what I am thinking.....when the Bills need a RB it's always considered so urgent that they have to use a first round pick. I gotta' credit the Bills for taking flyers on talent like D'arrick and Seantrel lately. Big improvement in approach, IMO. Anyway, Bryce Brown can go OFF on a defense when his head is on right. The questions are the fumbling what kind of teammate is he, because the modern NFL RB can't really be a diva. There were reports that his impressive but very short burst of success lead to him trying to take the ball to the sideline instead of being willing to take the ball up the middle....and that kind of self serving style sounds a lot like what took him from being the top RB recruit in the country to a virtually non-existent college career and nearly going undrafted. Like it or not to be a lead RB in the NFL now you almost have to be the toughest guy on your team. It's the one position that gets no favors from the league.

8) EJ continues to live up to that "scouting" report. He gets his mechanics right but then forgets not to stare down his receiver or not to pat the ball in advance of his throw. Things that shouldn't be an issue for a QB who has been going thru the process of training to be a professional QB since he was going to big time passing camps in HS and played a lot of college football at a major program for 4 years. People here try to write these things off as "young QB" mistakes......but these are mistakes that you expect from a sophomore at Rutgers not an NFL QB.

IMO: he's just a really slow learner. He's smart but utterly uninstinctive so it's going to be painful getting him to that level. When he was drafted I compared him to Phil Simms in that regard. A slow learner but someday could become a very good QB because he has raw tools and once he gets it, I think he may have a broader understanding of the game than some for whom it comes much easier. There is a parallel to Alex Smith as well.......another very intelligent player who looked like a complete idiot until the switch turned on(of course remember he was a 21 year old rookie too).

Obviously I was hoping that since it's infinitely easier to play QB in the NFL now than it was in 1980 that maybe that timetable would be moved up. In the meantime both you and I thought he could use his ability to run the ball to his advantage to help bridge that performance gap. Three knee injuries later that run game might not be considered an option(it still should be IMO). From camp reports and the early look in Canton he is not showing encouraging signs. I really don't want to sit thru 3 more years of exactly the same kind of production he had last season before the light hopefully comes on. Maybe once he "learns" how to do things that come naturally to passers, like throw a catchable deep ball(etc..) he will bypass understandable young QB mistakes like poor decisions with the football.....and will emerge instantly as a top 15 NFL QB. But there seems to be this notion that if he is going to be good he will just get better and better and we should know by now that is not necessarily how it works.

Are the Bills willing to wait 3-4 more years for EJ to reach the level of those guys? I know I am not. If he fails this year, IMO it's time to learn from the bench behind a proven QB for a couple of years. I like the guy and hope he succeeds but if his ceiling falls somewhere between Todd Collins (another robot who eventually turned into a very capable NFL reserve QB) and Phil Simms.......then I wouldn't wait that long for that. The NFL caters to natural passers of the football. Game managers like Alex Smith put up bigger numbers nowadays because every one does. But they are outclassed by guys like Aaron Rodgers and the currently glued and taped together version of Peyton Manning...who would have been physically unable to take the abuse of the Simms era. So IMO, you are best served to always be pursuing THAT kind of QB.

9) What people need to remember with Henderson is that if he pans out, he is found money. If he turned into a top 5 LT in the NFL....a healthy Cordy Glenn at #10-12 OT in the NFL is worth more because he has shown to some extent that he can be trusted. If Henderson pans out IMO it will be a far bigger deal than Peters. Peters actually looked like a first round talent heading into the draft and wasn't a complete hot mess like Henderson. Henderson basically nearly worked his way out of the draft altogether with poor preparation in the draft process on top of a thoroughly lackluster career at his actual position. I don't want to get too far ahead but people should keep in mind that if he makes it he will A)want to get paid in a couple years and B)he will have earned it and will not owe the Bills anything for taking a shot on him because just like Peters somebody was going to do it. He will earn what he gets.

5) Yes, it sure looked easy for Bryce Brown. Put it this way.....I am thinking that he isn't too worried about getting his snaps. Why should he be?

9) Found money indeed!!! Put it this way.....if the Bills suddenly cut him today, I think that every team in the league would want to pick him up. Hyperbole? Not really. The kid is the size of a mountain, agile, and strong enough to push defensive ends away by extending his arms. Not many humans can be described as such.

I wasn't too pleased when Marrone was hired, but I like some of the things he is doing. A few weeks ago he was on Sirius and said that Henderson was looking good but had a lot to prove. The implication was that the leash would not be a long one. I praise this.

As for EJ, I am putting my eggs in the basket (once again) that he needs to, and CAN run. It will buy him time to learn what to do.

Edited by Bill from NYC

As for EJ, I am putting my eggs in the basket (once again) that he needs to, and CAN run. It will buy him time to learn what to do.

I don't have a problem with EJ running as long as he understands how to protect himself ie slide, go out of bounds and I don't need to see it in the preseason, save it for the regular season.

I don't have a problem with EJ running as long as he understands how to protect himself ie slide, go out of bounds and I don't need to see it in the preseason, save it for the regular season.

I think that EJ needs to develop that quick "side step" that guys like Rothlesberger and Brady use all the time. That extra time kills defenses, especially if you have the skilled "take it to the house" players the Bills have. With EJ's long stride, he should (and hopefully will) be able to develop that side step move. Yes, take the opportunities and run with it when there's a big open space in front of you. But I think he should pattern his game after Rothlesberger (which I believe that EJ said was a big influence in his style of game).

I think that EJ needs to develop that quick "side step" that guys like Rothlesberger and Brady use all the time. That extra time kills defenses, especially if you have the skilled "take it to the house" players the Bills have. With EJ's long stride, he should (and hopefully will) be able to develop that side step move. Yes, take the opportunities and run with it when there's a big open space in front of you. But I think he should pattern his game after Rothlesberger (which I believe that EJ said was a big influence in his style of game).

That and he needs to stop patting the ball too. It looks like a friggin drum roll sometimes./hyperbole

Are the Bills willing to wait 3-4 more years for EJ to reach the level of those guys? I know I am not. If he fails this year, IMO it's time to learn from the bench behind a proven QB for a couple of years.

Great post! Regarding this bit, I actually think it's more likely that the Bills would be more patient with EJ in one sense, but less patient in another. What I mean is that if EJ looks about the same this year as last year (which, let's face it, was bad), I think the Bills will and maybe should re-commit to him as a starter in 2015. Maybe bring in a token vet to compete for the starting job, but that would be someone like Matt Schaub if Oakland cuts him after another terrible season. Either Manuel turns it around in year 3 (great!), or continues to be mediocre or worse. In the latter scenario, the Bills draft a QB high in the 2016 draft and move on from Manuel.

Nice post Badol. As always, your analysis is a must-read, spot-on & greatly appreciated.

Excellent post Badol!

Thank you and Thank you and yeah one of EJ's problems last year was being unwilling to step up in the pocket with pressure around him. "Climb" the pocket is the new term. He wasn't comfortable moving within the pocket. The guy came in miles from being a pocket passer, which is why it would be nice to see him run and have designed plays where he is throwing on the move to keep that pocket from turning into a target at which he can be exposed. Didn't get an opportunity to see if his pocket presence has improved in the preseason game.

Great post! Regarding this bit, I actually think it's more likely that the Bills would be more patient with EJ in one sense, but less patient in another. What I mean is that if EJ looks about the same this year as last year (which, let's face it, was bad), I think the Bills will and maybe should re-commit to him as a starter in 2015. Maybe bring in a token vet to compete for the starting job, but that would be someone like Matt Schaub if Oakland cuts him after another terrible season. Either Manuel turns it around in year 3 (great!), or continues to be mediocre or worse. In the latter scenario, the Bills draft a QB high in the 2016 draft and move on from Manuel.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him have a poor year and get a third chance. All it takes is the organization being willing to make excuses for itself and any amount of futility is possible. If you listen to people here it's not the Bills fault that they couldn't find a better QB in the draft the past 5 years. Literally could not have been done. Period. :lol:

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him have a poor year and get a third chance. All it takes is the organization being willing to make excuses for itself and any amount of futility is possible. If you listen to people here it's not the Bills fault that they couldn't find a better QB in the draft the past 5 years. Literally could not have been done. Period. :lol:

No way. Not on this board.

Agreed but how can we go back in time and correct the prior regimes suicidal commitment to Fitz? I'm uncomfortable with Manuel too but what's done is done. And they did try for a veteran with kolb but he got KO'd and this time stayed down for the count. So what option do you recommend right now that we can do?

Agreed but how can we go back in time and correct the prior regimes suicidal commitment to Fitz? I'm uncomfortable with Manuel too but what's done is done. And they did try for a veteran with kolb but he got KO'd and this time stayed down for the count. So what option do you recommend right now that we can do?

I don't know I simultaneously received 5 concussions the moment they signed Kevin Kolb. Literally the worst football decision I have ever seen the Bills make. Not the most impactful by ANY means, but the most ridiculously asinine "choice" at QB imaginable. He was utterly worthless and they should have known because THEY personally finished him off just a few months earlier when he tripped on his shoe lace and Carrington gently laid him down in a bed of roses and broke every bone in his body and kinked his brain stem.

But in all seriousness......they didn't even take a chance on any of the developmental QB's that were available later in this past draft. You have to keep trying to find talented young QB's.

I don't know I simultaneously received 5 concussions the moment they signed Kevin Kolb. Literally the worst football decision I have ever seen the Bills make. Not the most impactful by ANY means, but the most ridiculously asinine "choice" at QB imaginable. He was utterly worthless and they should have known because THEY personally finished him off just a few months earlier when he tripped on his shoe lace and Carrington gently laid him down in a bed of roses and broke every bone in his body and kinked his brain stem.

But in all seriousness......they didn't even take a chance on any of the developmental QB's that were available later in this past draft. You have to keep trying to find talented young QB's.

They have tuel as their developmental guy. To your point, I started a thread this summer on drafting a qb again, but on draft day versus our other needs it would have been hard to justify qb in any round.

They have tuel as their developmental guy. To your point, I started a thread this summer on drafting a qb again, but on draft day versus our other needs it would have been hard to justify qb in any round.

It is never hard to justify drafting a QB. By far the most important, impactful positon on the field.

In the last draft, who available would you have taken, and which other player/position would we have foregone as a result?

Are you ready for to set sail for Cockrell Island?

Superb prior post.

When watching EJ I have two monstrous fears about his play that I can't wish away. His accuracy level is very erratic and his "feel" for the game is lacking. He is simply too mechanical with little natural movement. I'm not giving up on him at this early juncture but for someone who has defended him as a prospect I do get queasy after I watch him play.

As you suggested the Bills should be adding developmental type qbs whenever they can. In last year's draft Tom Savage and Zack Mettenberger would have been reasonable picks for that developmental role.

When one breaks down EJ's attributes as a draft prospect I can understand why he was very enticing. But when one watches him play you can tell that he has been heavily tutored and is still at the point that he is struggling to follow the instructions that he has earnestly tried to learn.

I'm far from being a Manuel basher. If I was offered the opportunity to trade for a qb such as Dalton I would leap at the offer. As it stands Whaley seems very invested in him with no backup plan. If Manuel doesn't take a step forward this year, not necessarily a quantum leap, then we are looking at another 7-9 record.

Not only that, they traded away a first round pick in 2015 in order to draft a receiver. This in a draft that was loaded with wideouts. And, while the team is very talented, how surprised would you be if the pick was a top 10? Seriously.

Whaley and Marrone are just completely sold on EJ. I think that they know that their careers hinge upon EJ being a good player. Others disagree and like the trade. It might work out too. But I don't think it will if they plan to use EJ as a complete pocket passer. Jmo.

And I must say that it truly is great to see you posting again and I hope all is well!!! :)

Not only that, they traded away a first round pick in 2015 in order to draft a receiver. This in a draft that was loaded with wideouts. And, while the team is very talented, how surprised would you be if the pick was a top 10? Seriously.

Watkins could easily be an excellent player for many years to come and will most likely be our best WR since Moulds (possibly best since Andre). Now that being said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see us give a top 10 pick back and IMO that may be way too much to give for Sammy. If we are top 10 it is because of an issue at QB. Doesn't matter how good WR Sammy is at that point....

There is no way we could even put a good enough deal together to move up for a QB at that point; which most likely gives us a wasted 2015 as well. That leaves us with another year of EJ or another blah type FA QB...Honestly, where does that get us?

Whaley and Marrone are just completely sold on EJ. I think that they know that their careers hinge upon EJ being a good player. Others disagree and like the trade. It might work out too. But I don't think it will if they plan to use EJ as a complete pocket passer. Jmo.

And I must say that it truly is great to see you posting again and I hope all is well!!! :)

The only alternative IMO was to take manziel in rd1 and the best WR or TE in rd2. Although I would have been OK with this, the problem is that neither manziel or EJ may ever develop since theres no clear #1 and the rd2 WR is a much riskier bet than Watkins to work out. Point is that there's potential downside to every scenario