Belated, Abbreviated Thoughts, in no particular order.....

The part that scared me about Tuel was that he looked fine during the first 10-15 scripted plays in his only start last year, but he came completely unglued when the full game plan started to unfold. The one thing that I think most would agree upon when it comes to EJ is that he certainly didn't fall apart later in games. In fact, it was something of the opposite, where he seemed to improve after the initial set of scripted plays were run.

Maybe that's something that Tuel would improve upon with experience though.

If Tuel were to play I would imagine that the game plan would look like rookie year Big Ben or Alex Smith's career. You throw to keep them honest and to move the chains but other than that you try to win at the line of scrimmage.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx. People get swept up in group think. Tuel sucks because he sucks. Just make up some facts to support that view. If EJ had the game Tuel did we'd be popping champagne.

Maybe EJ will be good eventually but he looked like he was nervous as heck. Meanwhile Tuel steps on the field and completes like 75% of his passes, grant it against 2nd and 3rd stringers. But the fact is he was accurate enough to do it.

And yet everyone insists he's garbage. I honestly don't get it.

But I do have an armchair theory on EJ. I wonder if Marrone and Hackett are trying to mold EJ into a player he isn't comfortable being? He plays like a guy trying to remember stuff, not a guy playing in a natural flow. Do you know what I mean?

Well, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say Tuel is a quality NFL QB, but I do think with time he can be a successful backup QB. Mostly my point was that I think his physical skillset isn't as terrible as people seem to make it to be. I think his arm strength is pretty decent, and he was slinging it with nice velocity the other night. I also think he is a good athlete and can scramble quite well, as Collinsworth pointed out during the game.

I actually think he can be fairly comparable with Fitz, given continued development, only with a slightly better arm.

Bill, you and I were watching pretty much the exact same game. I'm not quite as high on Henderson as you but I think that he will be a really good starter. I'm just not ready to make him an all-pro yet. Nice analysis and pretty much dead on!!

Hell I am! The kid shows already he can be a special talent in this league if he keeps his head on straight... unlike EJ....

I say if Glenn comes back, Henderson goes to RT for the rest of pre season

If Tuel were to play I would imagine that the game plan would look like rookie year Big Ben or Alex Smith's career. You throw to keep them honest and to move the chains but other than that you try to win at the line of scrimmage.

Which incidentally is the kind of team the Bills have this year. There should be zero excuse for the offense not to improve.

And there is nothing wrong with that. Just win baby!

I'd imagine so

Hell I am! The kid shows already he can be a special talent in this league if he keeps his head on straight... unlike EJ....

Seriously? Does every post have to include a shot at EJ? We get it; you don't like him.

Which incidentally is the kind of team the Bills have this year. There should be zero excuse for the offense not to improve.

Indeed.

1) Nice to see Duke Williams get his number called a few times. I have no concerns about the secondary on this football team, at least not yet.

2) Nigel Bradham played as if he had something to prove, and he does. I am going to credit Marrone and the staff for this.

3) I have a feeling that Cordy Glenn will soon have a miracle recovery. Yes, I'm feeling it. Seantral Henderson was special to watch last night. 7th round pick? First game??? He will remind many of Glenn, but not me. I liken him more to Jason Peters; I kid you not. He extended his arms and sent people such as JPP flying!!! More on him later.

4) Thad was very disappointing. On one play late in the game he had tons of space to run and got sacked. Yeah, I am bummed out about his performance.

5) Bryce Brown looks like a keeper. I think he might even win us a game or 2.

6) No Hunter lyrics today. I have them but I'm saving them.

7) Tuel was Tuel. He has no fastball. Fitz has to put his entire body into a pass to throw it hard but he can do it at times. In other words, I doubt that he will ever be as good as Fitz. BUT, I think that his read option run was a VERY impressive play. They need to call this play for EJ and/or Thad during the season. It works.

8) Watching EJ was depressing. Not much more to say.

9) The Bills should hire off duty canine cops and post them outside the door of Henderson's room. If this kid gets in better shape and stays clean, his potential is simply HUGE!!!

10) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No mention of Watkins getting all but shut down by Amukamara?

It's my belief that Watkins, who faced very few top CBs in college is going to struggle more than anyone here wants to let on.

My point is not that he'll suck or anything, but I think that the expectations on both him as rookie as well as what he'll do for the team are both unreasonable.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Good thoughts Bill. I do find it hilarious after a preseason game that Bryce brown might win as a game after all the shots you take at Spiller. Brown dominated those practice squanders and arena leaguers. :)

Brown had two really dominant games for the Eagles last year. He had some issues with fumbling the football, but in two games he ran for over 160 yards against NFL regulars. He is a big,strong, fast running back and if he can hold onto the football, he will be a steal. Edited by xsoldier54

While I was disappointed in EJ, the sample size was too small to adequately judge. Marrone should have sent him out for at least another series to get him more reps. All of us are desperately trying to find hope that he's turned the corner and that game did nothing to make me feel better that he has. Hoping he gets 1+ quarters at minimum in game 2.

Watching Tuel and Lewis doesn't give me a lot of hope that the backups are anything more than, backups.

Makes me wonder, if Bills are in a win now, why didn't they go after Vick ?

Thx. People get swept up in group think. Tuel sucks because he sucks. Just make up some facts to support that view. If EJ had the game Tuel did we'd be popping champagne.

Maybe EJ will be good eventually but he looked like he was nervous as heck. Meanwhile Tuel steps on the field and completes like 75% of his passes, grant it against 2nd and 3rd stringers. But the fact is he was accurate enough to do it.

And yet everyone insists he's garbage. I honestly don't get it.

But I do have an armchair theory on EJ. I wonder if Marrone and Hackett are trying to mold EJ into a player he isn't comfortable being? He plays like a guy trying to remember stuff, not a guy playing in a natural flow. Do you know what I mean?

To be fair, the argument started about taking a "stopwatch" to tuel's balls (hehe). His arm strength is terrible. I don't think Tuel is terrible, but his arm strength certainly is.

In re Tuel, the knock is that he's nothing special and at best will give you a decent series or two spelling the starter. Not quite at a Frank Reich back-up talent.

Regarding your theory on EJ, that's the whole point of his issues. He's not a natural at the position, but for him to be successful he has to be molded into how the position should be played. He wants to play the role as a great athlete playing a QB, and that rarely works in the NFL.

EJ needs to run. Not so much in preseason mind you, but the threat of him running (which he seems good at) might just buy him time to figure things out.

He might be one some day, but he doesn't appear to be a pocket passer imo.

Not worried about EJ, two new receivers on the field with him, no chandler and not with our final starting O-line. Nassib and Painter had the highest QBR.. Enough said on 1.5 series from EJ people. Our running game will open up some big pass plays this year and EJ is going to protect himself and the ball. I'm sure he knows if we don't have a winning record he will be a career backup

No mention of

No mention of Watkins getting all but shut down by Amukamara?

It's my belief that Watkins, who faced very few top CBs in college is going to struggle more than anyone here wants to let on.

My point is not that he'll suck or anything, but I think that the expectations on both him as rookie as well as what he'll do for the team are both unreasonable.

down by Amukamara?

Really?

Seems to me though, that when Tuel Time gets in, we pass MORE than we do with EJ. Seemed to be that way vs KC and again on Sunday night.

EJ needs to run. Not so much in preseason mind you, but the threat of him running (which he seems good at) might just buy him time to figure things out.

He might be one some day, but he doesn't appear to be a pocket passer imo.

And therein is another flaw. He's not a good running QB like Luck & Newton, either. Right now, he's neither fish nor fowl, and it must be bewildering to the coaching staff to figure out where to take him. To me, he's a taller more athletic Flutie, without the game knowledge.

Seems to me though, that when Tuel Time gets in, we pass MORE than we do with EJ. Seemed to be that way vs KC and again on Sunday night.

That's true. He threw it 39 times against KC but only completed 44%. My guess is that they would prefer he throw it about 24 times and completes 15-16 of those throws. The team is much more talented this year and will win more games if they minimize mistakes. Just a feeling but you could be right

Brown had two really dominant games for the Eagles last year. He had some issues with fumbling the football, but in two games he ran for over 160 yards against NFL regulars. He is a big,strong, fast running back and if he can hold onto the football, he will be a steal.

2 years ago. He only had 300 yards rushing last year. The Eagles might have the best run blocking oline in the NFL.

I would love to see Brown develop into something. But since his college career, it's been a lot of hype more than production.

Because we were somehow losing a game where KC didn't score an offensive td!

And therein is another flaw. He's not a good running QB like Luck & Newton, either. Right now, he's neither fish nor fowl, and it must be bewildering to the coaching staff to figure out where to take him. To me, he's a taller more athletic Flutie, without the game knowledge.

And hopefully with more than 10 games played, he will gain more game knowledge.

Haha. You have no agenda at all! Henderson plays a quarter in a preseason game and he is a special talent.

EJ has won NFL regular season games and has no talent! You hate EJ. Great. Don't watch the season because he's the starter.

I know it's not an EJ thread, but having watched his whole college career for both good and ill, his main attributes are atheleticism (especially running) and his ability to shake off all the mistakes and pull out a winnable game. His losses to the big programs (Oklahoma, especially) were more due to a crappy game plan and a horrid DC (Thank God, that guy is gone). The Bills need to let the guy run and deal with the injuries when they come. You are not going win with Manuel as a pocket passer. If they try to make him one, they are morons.

While I was disappointed in EJ, the sample size was too small to adequately judge. Marrone should have sent him out for at least another series to get him more reps. All of us are desperately trying to find hope that he's turned the corner and that game did nothing to make me feel better that he has. Hoping he gets 1+ quarters at minimum in game 2.

I don't think it was high on Marrone's priority list at the time. Perhaps he should have considered us fans and gone against his own plans(which I'm sure he had several good reasons for).....and put EJ out there for longer just so we(the fans) could have a larger sample size to judge him on.