Next Buffalo Bill in the HOF?

He wasn't just a punter; he was pretty much unquestionably the greatest punter to ever play the game, and it is part of football.

He was a weapon. Imagine having the ability to pin the other team inside the 10 on a consistent basis, and to punt your way out of trouble if you are stuck deep in your own end. When a punter is able to punt inside the 10 now it's a big deal. Guy was the player who made that a "thing."

He deserves it!

Same reason why Steve Tasker deserves to be in the HOF. He made Special Teams special. He showed the NFL that ST players can turn games. If Ray Guy belongs Tasker absolutely belongs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshawn Lynch.

Steve Tasker

This was my 3000th post!

Marshawn never crossed my mind but that is a really good call. He very well may win another Super Bowl and is one of the best at his position (and has been). He may end up in 7-10 Pro Bowls with a bunch of yards and 100 TDs.

Congrats on post 3k

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Ok. With all due respect to someone I think will be a tremendous player and MAYBE a HOFer, to even mention Sammy in this thread is ignorant and a disservice to all other players mentioned. As out current HOF inductee said, "he's a rookie, he hasn't done anything!".

We always do this as bills fans, we just assume that just cause someone got drafted high they will be HOF caliber. Then we freak out when they become Mike Williams. Just remember that Dareus was drafted higher than Sammy and hasn't given any indication that he is a shoe in.

I know Sammy has looked very promising in his first training camp, but to put him in a conversation with people who have completed or are executing high level long term careers is just ridiculous.

And yes the punter deserves to be in. If u think the punter is unimportant to the game go back and watch what happens in games when punters get injured. More importantly, HOF is about being the best at ur position, and changing the game or the position. Marv was a great coach but maybe not the best of all time. And he got in rather quickly. Ray Guy was the best to ever play his position and changed the way the position was played. Just cause ur too clueless to understand the importance of a punter doesn't mean the player doesn't deserve the hall. I think the bigger reason it's taken this long is because there are so few punters in the league, and Kickers-punters often keep to themselves, so there's not many people voting for you.

All well said...and IMO this should be common sense for thought processes. How can Guy the best at his position not be in. And, how can you even think about a rookie ever at this point. MAYBE Peyton or Luck as rookies, but, that is still very silly to think that!

This weekend has me reminiscing about those great teams of the early 90's. I think that Andre is the last of that group to go into the HOF and it got me thinking. Who will be the next member of the Buffalo Bills to put on the gold jacket?

TO is the obvious answer but he spent so little time there that I don't really count him. Of the players that spent a significant portion of their careers in Buffalo who will it be? My guess is that one or two of the young guys currently on the roster will develop into HOF players (Watkins, Dareus, and/or Kiko). Mario Williams has a shot as well if he turns in about 5 more years like last year. So the game is, who will be the next inductee that played at least 1/2 of his career in Buffalo and when will they be inducted?

My guess: Marcel Dareus class of 2029

Gonna be a loooong time before another Bills get in.... i think thats it for 10 - 15+ years... Mario maybe if he plays lights out sure. Tasker? No way. Guys from the 60's ? Only if they're in a very giving mode. All good. Let's stay in the here and now.

in order:

#1- bill polian

#2- steve tasker

#3- rueben brown

#4- cornelius Bennett

they are the only legit candidates for HOF.

I could name about 10 other guys who could come close.

Agree with this.

Talley, Hull are also in my thoughts. Along with OG Jim Ritcher who played OG 14 years for Buffalo, and two more for Atlanta. 4x SB's, and played for both Chuck Knox & Marv Levy Only went to the pro bowl 2x tho.

While talking about long shots I can't forget Chuck Knox who took the Rams, Bills, Seahawks to the playoffs. With 39 more victories them Marv, and 6th winning est HC in the NFL.

In terms of Sammy he is the most highly touted skill player that we have picked since OJ probably. He obviously hasn't played a game yet but he comes in as about as sure a thing as you can be. His floor is a better Stevie Johnson and his ceiling is the best WR in the league. Where will he end up on that scale? Who knows

His floor is suffering a career ending injury in our next training camp practice and never playing a down in the nfl. That is why we should not be mentioning him in a "next HOF" thread. Assuming he does play a full career, there is just no predicting how good someone will be (floor/ceiling) in the nfl (regardless of what they did in college) until they a few real nfl games.

And yes I just knocked on wood turned around 3 times and performed an exorcism on the first sentence of my post.

His floor is suffering a career ending injury in our next training camp practice and never playing a down in the nfl. That is why we should not be mentioning him in a "next HOF" thread. Assuming he does play a full career, there is just no predicting how good someone will be (floor/ceiling) in the nfl (regardless of what they did in college) until they a few real nfl games.

And yes I just knocked on wood turned around 3 times and performed an exorcism on the first sentence of my post.

I hear you but some guys are sure things (Manning, Luck) Watkins is in that category IMO. Obviously injuries can come into play (see Greg Oden) but that's the only thing that can prevent him from having a great career.

His skill set, combined with his production and character are why EVERYBODY involved in scouting was in love with him. He is the top rated skill player to enter since Julio & AJ Green. Even bad QB play cannot stop him (see Josh Gordon). If he is healthy there won't be many (if any) seasons that he has less than 70 catches and 1,000 yards (Stevie territory). At his worst, that will be Watkins. At his best he could be 100 yard a game guy. If that happens over an extended period that's a HOF career. His skill is too refined and diverse to not be really good. I just don't need to see him play a few games to know how that skill set will translate.

There aren't any question marks in terms of Watkins. That is why he is different. With Clowney you can say he takes plays off, Manziel too wreckless, Bortles limited production and so on. With Watkins there are no concerns. Players like that do not come around every year and he is one. He may not go on to have a HOF career but if healthy he will be a difference maker.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Am I the only one who thinks Ray Guy getting into the Hall of Fame is more than a little ridiculous?

Just you and me it seems. NO punter deserves to get in before Drew Pearson, Everson Walls, or Jim Plunkett.

Edited by reddogblitz

in order:

#1- bill polian

#2- steve tasker

#3- rueben brown

#4- cornelius Bennett

they are the only legit candidates for HOF.

I could name about 10 other guys who could come close.

exactly my thoughts. Ruben will a serious look with 9 pro bowls to his credit. Polian should be in sooner than later with his achievements between buffalo, carolina, and indy.