I'm sitting here reading resumes for three hours

Did I get the job?

Only if you achieved significant turnaround of an underachieving division while also building self directed work teams that had superior interpersonal skills and collaborated well on major projects all while realizing significant investor returns and then most importantly managed customer relationships well.

:death:

If there were a drinking game for resume buzzwords, I would have passed out after five minutes.

:wallbash:

If they didn't use resume buzzwords, you wouldn't even be reading their resumes.

Not a defense, just an observation. You have to write resumes that way to get them in front of someone. I can't stand reading my own resume..."Resolved conflicting requirements and effectively leveraged communications skills to achieve buy-in from multiple stakeholders with diverse and conflicting visions." :bag: Why can't I just say "Worked with idiots. Most survived."

The worst part is getting an interviewee in there and realizing that their resume was a worked up fabrication of bull ****. They're as dumb as a rock, have no capability and cannot explain what they have done in real life scenarios.

That said, I could use a good job. I am a focused team member who brings a diverse background in ethical compliance and regulations which allow me to focus on safety, communication, and efficiency. In my many years I have resolved conflicts effectively removing wasteful expenses and developed methods to remove overhead.

aka. I am a janitor working with 3 others to clean the shitters, sinks and mop floors whilst only entering the womens bathroom prior to knocking and announcing myself clearly and posting a sign saying the floors are wet. In my 26 years of janitoring I have unplugged many toilets and drains and downgraded from two ply to one ply, as well as let the soap dispensers run out.

:death:

If there were a drinking game for resume buzzwords, I would have passed out after five minutes.

:wallbash:

I just jumped on here for a break and had to laugh. I've been doing the same thing for the past few hours. All these resumes blur together.

To tie this into my "I don't like marathons" thread, I have a real bias against people that list "running" as one of their interests on their resume. I have seen hundreds of resumes that have a section that says: "interests: running, foreign travel, blah blah blah." Very boring and cliche.

My resume says, "interests: buffalo bills."

You're starting to give me a complex. Though, thankfully, I don't 'list' it on my resume.

My wife was conducting interviews last night. Her back was to the public window in an office... The interviewee was looking the opposite way through the window... There was a ruckus with the cops coming in and kicking a bunch of unrully teens out of the place. The interviewee never lost a step saying what she saying and never gave a hint with a facial expression what was going on behind my wife... :lol:

Oh... Just your average evening @ a mid to large suburban public library... Cops busting unruly teens down (and rightly so). :doh:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

To tie this into my "I don't like marathons" thread, I have a real bias against people that list "running" as one of their interests on their resume. I have seen hundreds of resumes that have a section that says: "interests: running, foreign travel, blah blah blah." Very boring and cliche.

My resume says, "interests: buffalo bills."

A resume is valuable real estate and this information is totally useless. I would drop it.

Skim the resume, if something piques your interest, call the prospect and arrange to meet her/him anywhere but the workplace. Just talk to the person for thirty minutes, if there is interest in the candidate AS A PERSON, arrange something more formal, if that's required. After all, you're the insider, you know the skill sets and experiences necessary to fill the position successfully. If the candidate doesn't have the intangibles that you'd expect, go on to the next person.

Hiring is an art, not a science. Hiring the wrong person is never a mistake, but keeping the wrong person in your employ is always a mistake; so, if the new hire is the "wrong person" fire, counsel out, or otherwise separate him/her from the firm ASAP.

Easy Peasy!!

Edited by Keukasmallies

Skim the resume, if something piques your interest, call the prospect and arrange to meet her/him anywhere but the workplace. Just talk to the person for thirty minutes, if there is interest in the candidate AS A PERSON, arrange something more formal, if that's required. After all, you're the insider, you know the skill sets and experiences necessary to fill the position successfully. If the candidate doesn't have the intangibles that you'd expect, go on to the next person.

Hiring is an art, not a science. Hiring the wrong person is never a mistake, but keeping the wrong person in your employ is always a mistake; so, if the new hire is the "wrong person" fire, counsel out, or otherwise separate him/her from the firm ASAP.

Easy Peasy!!

Perfect!