I'm sitting here reading resumes for three hours

A resume is valuable real estate and this information is totally useless. I would drop it.

Wouldn't know that from the recruiters I talk to.

My resume says, clear as day, "Software engineer/architect. No relocation. Please contact me via email." So what happens? I get dumbass recruiters calling me offering a "great opportunity" for which I'm a "perfect" fit...in Yucca Flats, Nevada for a chemical engineer, relocation at my expense. Why do I even bother with a resume if you're not going to read the !@#$ing thing?

I'd put "Don't bother me if you didn't read my resume" in my resume...but it wouldn't work.

Wouldn't know that from the recruiters I talk to.

My resume says, clear as day, "Software engineer/architect. No relocation. Please contact me via email." So what happens? I get dumbass recruiters calling me offering a "great opportunity" for which I'm a "perfect" fit...in Yucca Flats, Nevada for a chemical engineer, relocation at my expense. Why do I even bother with a resume if you're not going to read the !@#$ing thing?

I'd put "Don't bother me if you didn't read my resume" in my resume...but it wouldn't work.

While there are some very good head hunters out there keep in mind it is a practice with a very low barrier to entry. Anybody with a PC and a phone can call themselves a recruiter. Some of them don't even have inside knowledge or connection to the job they "represent."

They like you can read some job board, fish for people and then try to push them into the employer in the hopes that one will stick. I get it that you will toss aside the recruiter that is trying to get you landed in east bumblefart, NV. However, if you do have interest in a job among of the first questions you should ask the recruiter is how they became aware of the position, how long they have had a relationship with the company and also how they found you.

The better recruiters will get to know you, your professional skills and personal interests. From that they will only ask you about opportunities which have alignment.

Btw so you know I have some basis to make the statements, I am a HR exec with 25 years in the field working for companies that have strong HR functions (I am well aware there are many idiots in HR).

My wife was conducting interviews last night. Her back was to the public window in an office... The interviewee was looking the opposite way through the window... There was a ruckus with the cops coming in and kicking a bunch of unrully teens out of the place. The interviewee never lost a step saying what she saying and never gave a hint with a facial expression what was going on behind my wife... :lol:

Oh... Just your average evening @ a mid to large suburban public library... Cops busting unruly teens down (and rightly so). :doh:

While there are some very good head hunters out there keep in mind it is a practice with a very low barrier to entry. Anybody with a PC and a phone can call themselves a recruiter. Some of them don't even have inside knowledge or connection to the job they "represent."

They like you can read some job board, fish for people and then try to push them into the employer in the hopes that one will stick. I get it that you will toss aside the recruiter that is trying to get you landed in east bumblefart, NV. However, if you do have interest in a job among of the first questions you should ask the recruiter is how they became aware of the position, how long they have had a relationship with the company and also how they found you.

The better recruiters will get to know you, your professional skills and personal interests. From that they will only ask you about opportunities which have alignment.

Btw so you know I have some basis to make the statements, I am a HR exec with 25 years in the field working for companies that have strong HR functions (I am well aware there are many idiots in HR).

I know all that - I kind-of figured it out for myself. It seems significantly worse this time around, though (from four years ago). I generally only deal with better recruiters, who take some time to work with me to find a position that suits me...but the ration of decent recruiters to abject knuckleheads seems far out of whack right now, enough that I've taken my resume down from the job boards and am being very specific and picky with who I send it to.

The worst practice I'm seeing is the fly-by-night offshore companies who merely act like recruiters, mine Monster for resumes and positions, then match people up and act as though they're providing a service. I saw it occasionally five years ago, but now it seems to be common. I actually had one idiot argue with me that the commute to Seattle for me was easy, because Washington DC and Washington STATE were the same damn thing. :wallbash:

Mine is without all the fluff and big words......

except I print it out on hundred dollar bills

One of the few things I have read that literally made me laugh out loud !! I expected nothing less from you!! Thanks for that!!