Fred Jackson signs contract extension

Fred is the kind of guy I see involved with the team long after his career is over. Maybe in a professional (paid) capacity, maybe not. But at least visible and involved, much like many of our early 90s stars today.

i have always said my 3 hopes for Fred are, 1. He goes to the playoffs with the Bills at least once before he retires, 2. He retires a Bill, 3. He has a job at OBD once he hangs it up so he is still with the team.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need guys like that on a team. Willing to commit to one team. Set an example that it is a good place to be. Defuses some of the agent flaming that the $$ are the most important thing. Guy has 4 kids. Gotta like that . Leadership. Not enough of that on NFL rosters.

If you would have told me back in 2006 that a guy from the NFL Europe was going to be on the team in 2015 I would have laughed along with other. He's not hall or wall of fame material but the man has bled red white and blue and embrased every second of his career and bills nation.

In this article mark gaughan states Fred is a sure fire wall of famer:

@gggaughan: FYI: FredJ has 1,394 career touches. Thurman had 3,276 at FJ's age. And: FJ is a slam-dunk WallofFamer (it sez here). http://t.co/hqnZmDIyVZ

Edited by FluffHead

The GM has stated he 'loves' Brown. With the signing of this deal it shows a desire to keep and respect for Jackson.

Means nothing to Spiller IMO

The Bills are finally in the business of signing good football players. If they can get a deal done with Spiller (who doesn't have an agent right now), they will

How are the Bills are going to use Brown, Jackson, and Spiller?

I am seriously asking how you see the three backs playing in the system? Touches?Role?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

The GM has stated he 'loves' Brown. With the signing of this deal it shows a desire to keep and respect for Jackson.

I am seriously asking how you see the three backs playing in the system? Touches?Role?

Over the last few years CJ and FJ have been injured on and off, sometimes at the same time, and they've had to limp through games. Due to the nature of the position, I think there will be plenty of room for three backs.. it'll allow them to stay fresher, and allow us to deal with injuries better. Brown is certainly better than Choice, that's for sure.

Brown is the #3 back. He allows the Bills to play Spiller and FJ at the same time without having to keep one fresh. He also allows the Bills to limit Fred's carries at his age. And of one gets hurt, which history says will happen at some point for at least a game or 2, Brown can step right up. The depth allows the Bills to be very creative with the offense and really pound the rock.

The Giants did it with Earth, Wind and Fire (Jacobs, Ward, Bradshaw) and the Saints have been doing it for years (Bush, Thomas, Ingram, Sproles, Robinson, Ivory).

If the guys are more specialized it works. I think that would be the case with the Bills if they keep all 3. Maybe I am delusional but I really think that the Bills may start using Spiller this year the right way. He will be a 10 carry a game guy that spends some time split wide, catching screens, etc... Maybe even returning punts if they think that Leodis is too valuable to use back there? Spiller can play the Reggie Bush role from 2007.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The Giants did it with Earth, Wind and Fire (Jacobs, Ward, Bradshaw) and the Saints have been doing it for years (Bush, Thomas, Ingram, Sproles, Robinson, Ivory).

If the guys are more specialized it works. I think that would be the case with the Bills if they keep all 3. Maybe I am delusional but I really think that the Bills may start using Spiller this year the right way. He will be a 10 carry a game guy that spends some time split wide, catching screens, etc... Maybe even returning punts if they think that Leodis is too valuable to use back there? Spiller can play the Reggie Bush role from 2007.

I don't have much faith in Hackett to put CJ in space... but here's hoping.

Brown actually allow the Bills to use Spiller this way. In camp, numerous reports from OTAs as well - have shown sets with both backs. With Brown as a horse in the barn, they can afford to do this because they don't need to keep CJ fresh OR keep FJ fresh. CJ is a Bush/Sproles and should not be used as a FJ/Brown. Edited by YoloinOhio

See saints 09

Fred- Pierre Thomas

Spiller- bush

Brown- bell

Hopefully with cj being a bigger role. Bell got a ton of the grind it out carries

Edited by NoSaint

See saints 09

Fred- Pierre Thomas

Spiller- bush

Brown- bell

Hopefully with cj being a bigger role. Bell got a ton of the grind it out carries

Thank you both for answering my question. I appreciate that. i also really hope Hackett does as you both suggest. The glaring thing that stands out to me is the OC for both of those offenses. Gilbride and Payton are two of the better OC in the game over the past 15 years. Heck the last time the Bills offense looked good Gilbride was calling plays. ha

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Thank you both for answering my question. I appreciate that. i also really hope Hackett does as you both suggest. The glaring thing that stands out to me is the OC for both of those offenses. Gilbride and Payton are two of the better OC in the game over the past 15 years. Heck the last time the Bills offense looked good Gilbride was calling plays. ha

Marrone was the OC in NO.... but yes he was running Payton's offense

Marrone was the OC in NO.... but yes he was running Payton's offense

one thing to note, in this very specific discussion of 3 back systems, is that marrone had bush and mcalister in 06 with no one else getting 50 touches, then bush and stecker with pierre being a UDFA and mcalister being injured. he never truly had a 3 back stable in new orleans.

thats been more of a trend since carmichael took over for him with carmichael having 3 backs over 100 carries the first year he took over. Bush only had 70 carries in 2009 with bell getting almost 200 and pierre getting about 150.... but bush was active with catches, punt returns.... he finally had that massive breakout game against arizona in the playoffs. it was a hot and cold year for reggie but he got 8 tds in just about 100 touches and 14 games. then 2010 was a disaster of injuries and its been ingram/pt/sproles since.... and ingram/pt/robinson this year.

that arizona game was a thing of beauty - 5 rushes, 4 catches, 3 punt returns and he ended up with over 200 yards. i think he had like 2 touches that were less then 10 yards and 2 loooong touchdowns.

the struggle was always that PT was a good jack of all like freddy, they wanted a power back to grind out games with leads (bell, ingram) and then they just never could figure out how to get reggie consistently involved. some weeks he was primarily a decoy, others he was the most explosive guy on the field. when you are talking 5-7 touches though, 1 blown assignment on the line, 1 errant pass and a good play by a defender leaves the stat line incredibly bare which fans hate. hopefully we can get spiller in that 15 range, freddy likewise, and brown can be reliable to grind between the tackles when we need those drives.

Edited by NoSaint

one thing to note, in this very specific discussion of 3 back systems, is that marrone had bush and mcalister in 06 with no one else getting 50 touches, then bush and stecker with pierre being a UDFA and mcalister being injured. he never truly had a 3 back stable in new orleans.

thats been more of a trend since carmichael took over for him with carmichael having 3 backs over 100 carries the first year he took over. Bush only had 70 carries in 2009 with bell getting almost 200 and pierre getting about 150.... but bush was active with catches, punt returns.... he finally had that massive breakout game against arizona in the playoffs. it was a hot and cold year for reggie but he got 8 tds in just about 100 touches and 14 games. then 2010 was a disaster of injuries and its been ingram/pt/sproles since.... and ingram/pt/robinson this year.

that arizona game was a thing of beauty - 5 rushes, 4 catches, 3 punt returns and he ended up with over 200 yards. i think he had like 2 touches that were less then 10 yards and 2 loooong touchdowns.

the struggle was always that PT was a good jack of all like freddy, they wanted a power back to grind out games with leads (bell, ingram) and then they just never could figure out how to get reggie consistently involved. some weeks he was primarily a decoy, others he was the most explosive guy on the field. when you are talking 5-7 touches though, 1 blown assignment on the line, 1 errant pass and a good play by a defender leaves the stat line incredibly bare which fans hate. hopefully we can get spiller in that 15 range, freddy likewise, and brown can be reliable to grind between the tackles when we need those drives.

How many times last year were plays called that had him run into the middle of the line. It simply didn't make much sense. There is no doubt that he was hampered with a sprained ankle for a good portion of the season but still he was treated as if he was an interior runner instead of the elusive and explosive back that he is.

As others have said call plays that put him in space and let him make plays. What very much affected Spiller's performance besides his persistent ankle injury was the mediocre play of the OL. If the OL can be upgraded and create some creases for him he will bust his share of plays.

In my opinion Spiller is one of the most dynamic offensive players in the league. So far his elite talents have been wasted because of the inexplicable play calling.

Our offense has a bunch of speedsters in Watkins, Goodwin, Williams and Spiller. Hackett, who I felt did a mediocre job as a play caller last year, needs to adjust his play calling to promote the skill sets of the players on the field. He needs to step it up.

Worked pretty well in NO when they won a super bowl

Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory and Sproles