GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

In for 2021: togiai, tyreke, Garrett, Ruckert

declaring: fields, olave, meyers

subject to change if they find out they will be in B1G “jail” again with Covid protocols ... they have until 1/18 to declare 

Great news for the defense. Ruckert betting on himself to break out next year could be epic.

Good stuff — hopefully Stroud is a baller. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I've seen him make some really nice throws from the far hash, which is more impressive on a college field.

But I freely admit I haven't watched him enough to have a legit take on his accuracy.

What do you think of Mac Jones? Do you think that he has enough arm for the NFL. This question is also meant for @YoloinOhio, @Willyville Guy and anyone else.

Edited by Bill from NYC

38 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Great news for the defense. Ruckert betting on himself to break out next year could be epic.

Good stuff — hopefully Stroud is a baller. 

Stroud needs some serious time with mick. Hope they actually get an offseason program this year. But his talent is there. 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

What do you think of Mac Jones? Do you think that he has enough arm for the NFL. This question is also meant for @YoloinOhio, @Willyville Guy and anyone else.

I'm not the right guy to be answering this because I've only watched him play 2-3 times, but he looks to me to be the best QB prospect out of Alabama that I've seen in forever. I wasn't high on either Tua or especially Hurts as NFL players but Jones might be different.

On the other hand, it's really hard to tell just how good he is when he's standing behind that OLine, with that RB next to him and throwing to what might be the greatest collegiate WR corps that I've ever seen in my life. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

Monday was the only Tide game I really watched this season. OSU’s defense gave Jones the underneath passes and he took them all night. There were some nice throws and catches - and not just to Smith. I’m not sure how he would do against different defensive looks. He showed good heart after the leg got banged up.  It’s so tough to tell how these kids (if you can call Jones a kid) are going to do in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

His arm appears more than adequate and I think he’s going to make some team very happy for a long time. His decision making is off the charts. I know he was surrounded by all world talent, but he was the one directing it. I’d like to ask him how much freedom he had to check in and out of plays. And I’m looking forward to hearing how he does on the white board during the run up to the draft. 

41 minutes ago, K-9 said:

His arm appears more than adequate and I think he’s going to make some team very happy for a long time. His decision making is off the charts. I know he was surrounded by all world talent, but he was the one directing it. I’d like to ask him how much freedom he had to check in and out of plays. And I’m looking forward to hearing how he does on the white board during the run up to the draft. 

Jones is VERY smart. Imo the only concern with him is his arm strength. He is in a good spot. I doubt if he will be drafted early enough to go to a bad team. He might even get drafted and sit for a while, just like he did in Bama. 

This will be interesting to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

Only guy so far leaving to coach with urban is his son in law. He’s focused on nfl guys. Concern that it could impact Ewers commitment because he loves Corey Dennis who was his primary recruiter, but he’s 100% coming to play for Ryan Day. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Urban has offered Greg Mattison the DC job in Jax and he will probably take it

2nd choice on DC is Chris Ash

he has offered the DL job to Charlie strong. They have mended their relationship 

and... 
Pantoni may leave in some type of personnel role (not GM)

marotti is staying 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Urban has offered Greg Mattison the DC job in Jax and he will probably take it

2nd choice on DC is Chris Ash

he has offered the DL job to Charlie strong. They have mended their relationship 

and... 
Pantoni may leave in some type of personnel role (not GM)

marotti is staying 

Take Mattison for all I care. Coombs too (maybe but not really). Other than LJ I’m not happy with the senior leadership on defense. Find more young guys like Washington and let them cook. 

Pantoni... that hurts. 
Mick...  hallelujah. 

34 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Take Mattison for all I care. Coombs too (maybe but not really). Other than LJ I’m not happy with the senior leadership on defense. Find more young guys like Washington and let them cook. 

Pantoni... that hurts. 
Mick...  hallelujah. 

No I’m good with Coombs too. I like the guy and great recruiter and I do give these guys the benefit of the doubt on the jacked up offseason but I don’t think he should have the DC role. Secondary coach is fine. If he’s not into that, go back to the nfl. Day can do better at DC. I can’t believe Mattison as a NFL DC but whatever. I don’t think urban would poach Pantoni unless it was him saying he wanted a new opportunity and wants to do something different. I can imagine his job is never ending with these HS kids and parents. Interestingly, Eron Hodges was his assistant a few years ago and went to take a similar role at Purdue. Was reportedly doing a great job, but they parted ways a few weeks ago. I could see him returning. 

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No I’m good with Coombs too. I like the guy and great recruiter and I do give these guys the benefit of the doubt on the jacked up offseason but I don’t think he should have the DC role. Secondary coach is fine. If he’s not into that, go back to the nfl. Day can do better at DC. I can’t believe Mattison as a NFL DC but whatever. I don’t think urban would poach Pantoni unless it was him saying he wanted a new opportunity and wants to do something different. I can imagine his job is never ending with these HS kids and parents. Interestingly, Eron Hodges was his assistant a few years ago and went to take a similar role at Purdue. Was reportedly doing a great job, but they parted ways a few weeks ago. I could see him returning. 

Whoever decided to go with the 1920's style 4-4 defense against Alabama in the national championship game, and then stick with that defense until the very end even though it was obvious after 5 minutes that it wasn't working, is who needs to go in my view.  Mattison, Coombs, whoever.

Pantoni's former assistant recently separating with Purdue and potentially returning to OSU is the type of info that keeps me coming back to this thread  - lol. Great stuff!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Serious question Yolo as I know you are the king of OSU sports. Is Ryan Day a good coach for the program or benefitting from the recruiting system set up by Urban?

Full disclosure I live in Alabama and am a Tide fan, but this is by no means a trolling attempt. I just get a very small sample size of OSU games every year so it's hard to make a call on him, obviously he wins.

37 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Serious question Yolo as I know you are the king of OSU sports. Is Ryan Day a good coach for the program or benefitting from the recruiting system set up by Urban?

Full disclosure I live in Alabama and am a Tide fan, but this is by no means a trolling attempt. I just get a very small sample size of OSU games every year so it's hard to make a call on him, obviously he wins.

I think Ryan Day is a better recruiter then urban. Urban is a prick. Great coach, but some kids hate him. I absolutely love Ryan day. He has some growing pains as a game day coach but he’s such a QB totally different level of QB recruits with him here than urban. His offense is NFL sophisticated

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Ryan Day is a better recruiter then urban. Urban is a prick. Great coach, but some kids hate him. I absolutely love Ryan day. He has some growing pains as a game day coach but he’s such a QB totally different level of QB recruits with him here than urban. His offense is NFL sophisticated

Yeah Urban was always a win at all costs guy, imo he never cared about the kids. Not sure how his NFL stint will go.

Good to hear Day is well respected, I was always curious, I live in my SEC bubble during college football. Though good coaching is not that common in the SEC.