LaCanfora: bills may be willing to deal Spiller before season

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For a 1st round pick- I trade him all day long... For a second round pick, same thing... 3rd rounder and later I use him this year and either re-sign or let him walk...

Turning productive high draft picks into lesser ones is cool. It's the Buffalo way.

Disclaimer I think this guy is a tool and he may just be speculating

His article also referred to "Tom" Pegula

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24638260/bills-training-camp-sammy-watkins-a-star-will-he-make-ej-manuel-better

"I'd expect the Bills to field calls for running backs if contending teams continue to lose them (Vick Ballard and Kendall Hunter already out for the year). Buffalo has more backs than it needs, probably, and C.J. Spiller, in the final year of his deal and with no extension in sight, could be the odd man out. I anticipate Fred Jackson being a Bill for life, and he could end up with a few new years on his deal, and the speed of Bryce Brown is impressive. Anthony Dixon supplies depth. A trade market for Spiller could well develop over the next month."

He's not durable enough. Nobody's going to give up anything meaningful for a guy they can't rely on to be there.

He's not durable enough. Nobody's going to give up anything meaningful for a guy they can't rely on to be there.

He's missed 3 games in four years (as a point of comparison, Freddy has missed 12 in the same time frame). Both have played through injuries that have shelved lesser players. How does any of that point to a durability issue?

GO BILLS!!!

He's missed 3 games in four years (as a point of comparison, Freddy has missed 12 in the same time frame). Both have played through injuries that have shelved lesser players. How does any of that point to a durability issue?

GO BILLS!!!

He limped around last year with an ankle sprain and didn't even get 1,000, in an offense designed to feature running backs. Knock on him was always too small to run between tackles and be a durable every down back. Why give up anything meaningful for that?

Given our very serious concerns at OL, I am for it if we can grab a more than quality starting linemen. Nobody can run or pass behind this. The running game will be better if we can get some solid blocking. No matter who is running behind this, it will be garbage.

Mind you I am not for losing talent. I am against this for anything other than a really good young OL, even then I cringe a little, but at least get it

For a 1st round pick- I trade him all day long... For a second round pick, same thing... 3rd rounder and later I use him this year and either re-sign or let him walk...

Bills may be willing to trade Spiller. Just like they maybe willing to trade anybody on the roster. With Jackson at 33 and the 3rd string RB having 294 carries in the NFL and college combined along with a guy who hasn't cracked triple digit rushing yards in any of the past three seasons it's no wonder some want to get rid of Spiller.

That is utter crap. You are making stuff up now. Especially as it pertains to a no huddle, fast pace offense. Every one of the RBs you mention, don't play in that type of system and never have. Different philosophies, different type of backs as well. Apples and oranges, really.

GO BILLS!!!

Why don't those guys play in platoon systems?

And you can defend Spiller all you want, but a first round pick, even #32, in a contract year would be an awesome deal.

You even refuse to argue him living up to his draft pick.

Edited by FireChan

The Bills would be crazy to trade Spiller at this point. He is a proven, dynamic playmaker on the most run oriented offense in the NFL. He is one year removed from averaging 6.0 ypc on over 200 carries. He is primed to have an absolute monster season with the improvememts to the oline and WR corp.

I fully expect him to be the center piece of this offense & one of the most explosive players in the league. The Bills are one of the most run heavy teams in the league so moving their best RB makes zero sense.

Even if Bryce Brown lights it up, I would still hang onto Spiller. He is a special player that can literally score anytime he touches the ball. He is also entering a contract year.

I can't wait to see the damage he can do fully healthy & with an actual passing attack to prevent teams from loading up on from stopping the run. Not many offenses can roll out 2 dynamic playmakers like Spiller and Sammy Watkins every play. Those two should fees off each other and vault this offense into relevance

The Browns need a RB..

Josh Gordon (lost this year) + a quality player to add depth at LB or OL for this year ... I'd be very interested in that trade. I'm sick of waiting around for spiller to be "the guy". Plus as someone else alluded to in today's game rushing yards has a lot more to do with your oline and passing threat. Theres a reason RB FA values have plummeted on a relative basis

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The Bills would be crazy to trade Spiller at this point. He is a proven, dynamic playmaker on the most run oriented offense in the NFL. He is one year removed from averaging 6.0 ypc on over 200 carries. He is primed to have an absolute monster season with the improvememts to the oline and WR corp.

I fully expect him to be the center piece of this offense & one of the most explosive players in the league. The Bills are one of the most run heavy teams in the league so moving their best RB makes zero sense.

Even if Bryce Brown lights it up, I would still hang onto Spiller. He is a special player that can literally score anytime he touches the ball. He is also entering a contract year.

I can't wait to see the damage he can do fully healthy & with an actual passing attack to prevent teams from loading up on from stopping the run. Not many offenses can roll out 2 dynamic playmakers like Spiller and Sammy Watkins every play. Those two should fees off each other and vault this offense into relevance

I agree!

Fred Jackson is not a young player, and who knows when he will hit that proverbial wall. Bryce Brown had a known fumbling problem at Philly, and the Eagles were happy to trade away a 7th rounder for a 4th round pick 2015 pick, or possible 2016 3rd round pick.

Jeez, I can only hope this regime doesn't trade away the best "known" offensive weapon on the team before new ownership takes over. Is it Spiller's fault that Hackett thinks the best way to utilize him is runs up the middle? If this happens I'll be counting the days until this entire FO, coaching staff gets the boot.

It may be pure speculation at this time...although where there is smoke, there is usually a fire.