Training Camp 2014...Tweets from all sources, Week 1

Believe what you want to believe. Form your own opinion. Stick with the "happy talk" from the Bills marketing department. Do whatever makes you happy. I'm simply not basing my observations on the past 3 days, but on the past 3 months.

I'm questioning EJ because he's left himself open to questions.

I don't know what others are tweeting, nor do I care. I've formed my own opinion. I also know that there are those inside 1 Bills Drive that have the exact same questions and concerns.

but don't believe me. I'm merely presenting what I see and hear.

jw

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe what you want to believe. Form your own opinion. Stick with the "happy talk" from the Bills marketing department. Do whatever makes you happy. I'm simply not basing my observations on the past 3 days, but on the past 3 months.

I don't know what others are tweeting, nor do I care. I've formed my own opinion. I also know that there are those inside 1 Bills Drive that have the exact same questions and concerns.

jw

JW- I am interested in hearing, where he needs to improve, and you honest feeling on if it's probable he can work through it... From what I have gathered from you (please correct me if I misremember something) there is a feeling that he is indecisive, doesn't always carry himself with confidence, and is errant on his throws...

Do you see any bright spots? Something us realists can grab onto for some shred of hope?

jw

I'm sure your thoughts aren't coming out of nowhere, JW. I do think there I'd something to the notion that a team learns how to win, though, and there are plenty of examples of the QB growing with the team. I think any rational observer thinks that the guy has a lot to prove, even if they are excited for him.

@AlbertBreer: Five quick ones to wrap up my visit to Bills camp ...

@AlbertBreer: 1) By now, everyone knows Sammy Watkins is impressive. The way the team sees it, this trade should be similar to the Julio deal for ATL.

@AlbertBreer: 2) Bills have big expectations for LT Cordy Glenn. Gave up just a 1.5 sacks in '13. He's been shelved with an illness. He's a huge piece.

@AlbertBreer: 3) A pivotal Bill: S Aaron Williams. Losing Kiko is huge, and not just at LB. D needs to replace his turnover production. Williams can help.

@AlbertBreer: 4) Add Stephon Gilmore to the list -- Told me yesterday his goal is to become the NFL's best CB in 2014. Very up and down last year.

Note to Breer, a fine Buckeye: he was playing with one arm most of the time

@AlbertBreer: 5) One checkpoint to watch as far as the sale of the Bills - The early October fall league meeting. Could well have some clarity by then.

And let's not forget when Thurman Thomas said quarterback was the weakest position on the team. So, Kelly had a few dark moments as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Thurman made that comment after the Bills advanced to the AFC Championship the previous season. To argue that this is the same situation is pure sophistry.

Seems like Manuel doesn't have that fire in his belly and plays overly cautious. Good to be a cool customer but sometimes you gotta just let it loose. In that regard, Manuel could learn a lot from watching Tuel. Guy doesn't have half the talent of Manuel, but he plays with no fear and lets it rip.

Seems like Manuel doesn't have that fire in his belly and plays overly cautious. Good to be a cool customer but sometimes you gotta just let it loose. In that regard, Manuel could learn a lot from watching Tuel. Guy doesn't have half the talent of Manuel, but he plays with no fear and lets it rip.

EJ still looks like he's afraid of making mistakes and can cause him to get hesitant and not trust his receivers or what he sees. I see this as a potential huge problem for our offense.

EJ still looks like he's afraid of making mistakes and can cause him to get hesitant and not trust his receivers or what he sees. I see this as a potential huge problem for our offense.

Hit the nail on the head!! I think he fears failure which shows a lack of confidence...

im telling you, and I've been to camp twice already, that EJ has been airing it out on medium and deep throws quite a bit more than not only I expected but from what I saw last year. If you look at my notes in my training camp day threads, when I said overthrown... I'd say about half of those were 20+ yards downfield at least. Many were deep to the sidelines. For all we know, he may be trying to get his timing down with his WRs on the outsideore than anything.

Just my opinion

I'm not riding the fan bus. But I'm not out with my pitchforks either. He's looked good and bad at times from what Ives seen. Honestly, of he stays exactly the way he was last year hit stays healthy the entire season... It's probably enough to make the playoffs. Just a little better than last year and we do significantly better in record.

Again, just my opinion.

Players that do not make mistakes in practice are either heads and toes above their peers OR are not trying to push the envelope of skill, without real consequence. That is the only way to get better. Believe me, the coaches know when a play is not made or made and the reasons for it. I do think right now that EJ is the latter. His effort is unquestioned but I would be very wary if he shows less improvement than the other QB's. His entrenchment is not solid here and it wouldn't take much to push that snowball off Proverbial Mountain.

I think the press actually hampers a team a little as a result by insisting that they answer to every question relating to emotion, physical etc... placing a stressor where there needs not be one. They are riding the razor's edge out there. That being said, consistently making the same errors and/or displaying the same negative tendencies should raise a few eyebrows. Probably starting with the coach. I would think there is a great deal of designed testing going on that is looking for these very flaws and how embedded they might be in our most important player.

The obvious disparity between Marrone and EJ's statements/body language was interesting. What do you think Mike McCarthy would do if Manuel was out here in Packer country? Harbaugh? Carroll? Is it time to get in his grill and let 'em have it in front of all? I dunno if that's Marrone's style or if it's conducive at this point.

But a larger sample is definitely needed. Even if we do get excited about awesome play on both sides of the ball. And then sink to suicidal lows when Watkins drops a pass.

yum beer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Thurman made that comment after the Bills advanced to the AFC Championship the previous season. To argue that this is the same situation is pure sophistry.

Exactly. He only said that because they all hated each at that point.

the ever positive thing. i think he needs to take more of a leadership role and be more assertive. not sure who he's trying to please with these all's good comments. they don't reflect well upon him, in my opinion. i'm told even Tuel expressed disappointment today in the offense's production. if not Tuel, why not EJ.

too often, and this is something i failed to mention in the story i wrote today, EJ is starting to get that hang-dog look after a bad throw. that's a discouraging sight from a supposed leader, and people see that, and it has an effect on morale, no?

as for some people losing respect for me because i just so happened to defend a friend of mine that they don't like, well, nertz. i didn't defend Tim because he was a friend, i defended him because he did his job. not sure why EJ needed to seek justification by asking a question to a throw-away question.

jw

Thanks for responding. I'm generally positive, true, but I'm not giving EJ a free pass. I simply think people forget how little time he has actually had on an NFL practice field to this point, and he wasn't a "finished product" coming out of FSU. He needs more time and reps before we really know what the Bills have.

I haven't been at camp so I can't comment on the Joe Ferguson-like hang-dog look, but EJ doesn't give the impression in his interviews that he's down on himself.

And by the way, I have a great deal of respect for your reporting. My beef with a certain colleague of yours has nothing to do with that.

the ever positive thing. i think he needs to take more of a leadership role and be more assertive. not sure who he's trying to please with these all's good comments. they don't reflect well upon him, in my opinion. i'm told even Tuel expressed disappointment today in the offense's production. if not Tuel, why not EJ.

too often, and this is something i failed to mention in the story i wrote today, EJ is starting to get that hang-dog look after a bad throw. that's a discouraging sight from a supposed leader, and people see that, and it has an effect on morale, no?

as for some people losing respect for me because i just so happened to defend a friend of mine that they don't like, well, nertz. i didn't defend Tim because he was a friend, i defended him because he did his job. not sure why EJ needed to seek justification by asking a question to a throw-away question.

jw

This seems a bit conflicting, IMO.

He hangs his head on the field, it has an effect on morale as you say. But then he comes into interviews and is positive, which also could have an effect on morale.

Certainly, if he wasn't hanging his head on the field and came into the interviews and was honest and made sure to point out that the OL was terrible or comment that he didn't do very well, that would get back to other players and effect morale as well.

So I'm a bit confused, in one aspect you are expecting EJ to be a leader by not hanging his head (basically remain positive on the field), but when it comes to interviews you want him to stop the positive approach, because it doesn't reflect upon him well?

This seems a bit conflicting, IMO.

He hangs his head on the field, it has an effect on morale as you say. But then he comes into interviews and is positive, which also could have an effect on morale.

Certainly, if he wasn't hanging his head on the field and came into the interviews and was honest and made sure to point out that the OL was terrible or comment that he didn't do very well, that would get back to other players and effect morale as well.

So I'm a bit confused, in one aspect you are expecting EJ to be a leader by not hanging his head (basically remain positive on the field), but when it comes to interviews you want him to stop the positive approach, because it doesn't reflect upon him well?

You mean like this?

proxy.jpg?t=HBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2U1cDlleC5qcGcUmgQU9gIAFgASAA&s=zds_fErJn6ppYIdbbmtR1xB8sWfpT_CnIjV90agtNFYBnJj1YmCAAAFNgX.jpgBcH9HYsIAAABrGi.jpg

Edited by YoloinOhio