Dareus not cleared to practice yet

Hard to say. I doubt it. Saban is just like any coach, even though he is known as a disciplinarian. They treat different guys differently. And differently at various times of the season, depending on how much they need to win. Marrone benched Dareus for a quarter for being late one time and then the very next week for being late again (which was actually the very next day). If the game really meant something for the playoffs I doubt he would have done it, although it's possible. Dareus was a vital player on those teams in college, too.

Marcell was by far the best DT on that team. The 2 DT's (Josh Chapman and Jesse Williams) that were drafted in each of the 2 drafts after Marcell's were early-5th rounders and neither has done much in the NFL.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this. Did you notice that he, and a slew of other Bama players are fine when they are playing under Saban? It might sound corny to you but I think that he acts as a strict parental figure to many of these kids, and this is precisely what many young athletes need.

Dareus might be 25 but he is acting like a spoiled 18 year old. And you are correct in that he isn't as much of a criminal as he is a knucklehead. The problem is that he really isn't that far from throwing his career away.

This is one kid that I truly hope seeks help and gets his life together before time runs out.

Bill, I've never agree more with you. In college, it's a lot easier to control players. They have way less money and freedom. As good as Dareus was in college, Saban could kick him off the team or mess with his draft stock.

Dareus is a good guy who is immature. But who does he have to support him right now? All the figures in his family are gone. He always struck me as a guy who smiles and jokes a lot but secretly is hurting. I think the team should force to get counseling because a lot if athletes are probably too prideful to do so on their own.

If MD does get help now, he could be in real trouble. And I don't think the guy has a mean bone in his body.

Bill, I've never agree more with you. In college, it's a lot easier to control players. They have way less money and freedom. As good as Dareus was in college, Saban could kick him off the team or mess with his draft stock.

Dareus is a good guy who is immature. But who does he have to support him right now? All the figures in his family are gone. He always struck me as a guy who smiles and jokes a lot but secretly is hurting. I think the team should force to get counseling because a lot if athletes are probably too prideful to do so on their own.

If MD does get help now, he could be in real trouble. And I don't think the guy has a mean bone in his body.

I agree. He needs help, and he needs it now.

It's impossible for me to believe that Dareus was so committed, timely, a joy to coach and a model citizen at Alabama, and then suddenly because reckless, irresponsible, perpetually late and a moron as soon as he came to the Bills. Saban very likely had to deal with similar issues with him and, because he was a star and invaluable player, put up with a lot more crap than he normally would.

Lest we forget he WAS involved in a NCAA dust up over a party that he supposedly wised-up and left. Story seemed fishy then. Seems fishier now.

I agree. He needs help, and he needs it now.

The NFL has a very good EA program. The help is there. He has to want it. I think the perfect place for him right now is at SJF. Nothing to focus on but getting better - mentally and physically - and ready to play.

The NFL has a very good EA program. The help is there. He has to want it. I think the perfect place for him right now is at SJF. Nothing to focus on but getting better - mentally and physically - and ready to play.

Agreed!!

I hope he is responsible enough to deal with all the questions surrounding these events that I'm sure are being asked currently...

Man up, prove the doubters wrong....

And associated with known drug dealers. And his team was hiring private investigators to keep an eye on the situation.

And "Except for some traffic violations, the detectives observed no illegal activity, the newspaper said." Luckily he didn't hit a tree!

The story goes that when Dallas Green cut Hebner in spring training of the 1986 season, he said, "It's time to go home and dig graves in the summer too, not just in the winter."

Aw. That's mean.

He made a more meaningful statement when he came into camp out of shape. A PR person can write an impeccable statement for you. Working out and coming into camp is something that no one else can do for you.

24 year olds never make mistakes. I, for one, am glad the organization is sticking with Marcell. He has not shown himself to be a bad person -- just a troubled one dealing with a lot of things most of us can't fathom. The sportswriters and fans clamoring for him to be cut are certainly not people I'd want to put my faith and trust in.

And yes, he gets a longer rope than a 7th round draft pick. That's life.

24 year olds never make mistakes. I, for one, am glad the organization is sticking with Marcell. He has not shown himself to be a bad person -- just a troubled one dealing with a lot of things most of us can't fathom. The sportswriters and fans clamoring for him to be cut are certainly not people I'd want to put my faith and trust in.

And yes, he gets a longer rope than a 7th round draft pick. That's life.

Said rope is getting shorter and shorter with each transgression... I'm hoping that these events and the possibility of a suspension are these kick in the butt he needs to shake his head and get right

As long as he backs up the statement with actions, it's all good. I support Marcell. He seems like a fun guy who enjoys the game... he also seems like an immature guy who has dealt with a lot of ****. Hopefully he can use the opportunities given to him, to turn his life around personally, and to continue to perform professionally.

Go get'em Big D.