Dareus not cleared to practice yet

I think this makes perfect sense. The guy has way, way too much talent to not exhaust all you can to help him. Could that breaking point still come sometime this season? Sure.

This.

It is hard for us to fathom but millions of dollars isn't enough motivation for some people. Hopefully he can find his inner beast. We need him. Maybe some wins can help this dude get rolling. He has only scratched the surface of his potential.

I know in the draft they spend a ton of time on makeup but I still feel like a switch went off in this kid's head post- family trauma, and that he hasn't been right since. He didn't have the appearance of any red flags when he went #3. Sorry for the amateur psychological diagnosis.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't listened to this yet and are still wondering how the Bills are going to handle Dareus....listen. Sal talked to both Marrone and Whaley.

Howard WGR @hsimon62 4m

great stuff from Sal Paolontonio who was on with us this morning at camp http://audio.wgr550.com/a/94728971/sal-paolantonio-at-buffalo-bills-training-camp.htm#.U80VMZvhaEo.twitter …

If you haven't listened to this yet and are still wondering how the Bills are going to handle Dareus....listen. Sal talked to both Marrone and Whaley.

Howard WGR @hsimon62 4m

great stuff from Sal Paolontonio who was on with us this morning at camp http://audio.wgr550.com/a/94728971/sal-paolantonio-at-buffalo-bills-training-camp.htm#.U80VMZvhaEo.twitter …

Interesting that Marrone and Whaley remain supportive. Good for them, though the problems don't get resolved until the kid takes responsibility for his life, decisions and actions. Hopefully Dareus pulls through because the situation today has all the ingredients of another NFL talent goes wrong and wrecks his life.

AP NFL@AP_NFL 2m

Bills GM Doug Whaley is getting tired of all the setbacks for DT Marcell Dareus http://apne.ws/1tquuc2 (@john_wawrow) #NFL

The headline is not as nuanced as John's article, though. DW and DM are saying all the right things. They know that Dareus is an asset and they can't win by calling him out in the media. They need to get him to buy in.

The headline is not as nuanced as John's article, though. DW and DM are saying all the right things. They know that Dareus is an asset and they can't win by calling him out in the media. They need to get him to buy in.

Yeah, I think they are trying to achieve of delicate balance of not saying he can get away with anything and they don't care (i.e. we are growing tired, etc) but that he is important to the success of the team and we believe he isn't a bad guy so yes, we will do what we need to in order to get him on the field.

If you go back and read something like Paper Lion, in those days many of the guys were actually using training camp to get back into shape. It's such a different world. I'm not excusing Dareus - he's decided to be a part of today's NFL and is being paid handsomely to do so.

If you go back and read something like Paper Lion, in those days many of the guys were actually using training camp to get back into shape. It's such a different world. I'm not excusing Dareus - he's decided to be a part of today's NFL and is being paid handsomely to do so.

I actually had that thought this morning too. I know it isn't an excuse. Hopefully he goes the route of Bruce Smith and turns the corner. We just need a Darryl Talley.

This.

It is hard for us to fathom but millions of dollars isn't enough motivation for some people. Hopefully he can find his inner beast. We need him. Maybe some wins can help this dude get rolling. He has only scratched the surface of his potential.

I know in the draft they spend a ton of time on makeup but I still feel like a switch went off in this kid's head post- family trauma, and that he hasn't been right since. He didn't have the appearance of any red flags when he went #3. Sorry for the amateur psychological diagnosis.

I've been saying the same thing. I love fans calling a 24 year old guy a clown who has dealt with more death & loss than most people will in their entire lives.

And I get this is worse because of his offseason but he's a DT. I'm sure a guy like Wilfork fails them all the time but the Pats keep everything in house. Remember how stupid people were in freaking about Mario after he hurt his toe last camp?

He will be in football shape by the end of camp. But there's something deeper going on. He needs help and good for the Coaches and front office for not shaming him like some fans.

All sports used to be like that.

I live in the NYC area, and growing up I used to see a lot of NY Rangers in the summer. Most had pretty big bellies.

They also earned a fraction of what Dareus does.

Lots of athletes had off-season jobs. My favorite was Richie Hebner (MLB). He was a grave digger.

Edited by Kemp

Oh.

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully 10m

A pause from vacation to reiterate my position of early June: The Bills should have cut Marcell Dareus as soon as his car hit the tree.

He's the worst. Great point. Cut a talented player when right now, not a thing has happened. He hasn't missed a regular season snap.

The worst part about an idiot like Sullivan is he the first to complain about the lack of talent on the team.

He's the worst. Great point. Cut a talented player when right now, not a thing has happened. He hasn't missed a regular season snap.

The worst part about an idiot like Sullivan is he the first to complain about the lack of talent on the team.

I presume he called for Bruce to get cut on multiple occasions?

Professional troll.

Professional troll.

Exactly. He was probably trashing the Bills for letting Lynch go. I guess the 49ers should cut Aldon Smith. How about the Steelers with Big Ben? Jim Kelly was hardly a saint.

It's freaking football. Dareus has had about a difficult of a life as most 24 year olds. He needs help and caught himself. But dear lord, a DT smokes week and failed a conditioning test. CUT HIM NOW!!!

I don't think he should be cut but he missed snaps in two games last season because of stupidity.

I don't think he should be cut but he missed snaps in two games last season because of stupidity.

That doesn't mean that the obvious solution is to call him "stupid" and send him packing.

If the Bills cut him, a smart team that knows how to deal with players who need help will find a place for him.

The Ravens, NE, Bengals, Broncos are all hoping we do something that stupid.

Edit: to add to this, I just want to ask a few honest questions, and this is not one that is meant to be taken as a potshot at other journalists, columnists, etc.

That question is: when was the last time you read a Jerry Sullivan column and felt like you understood something better? When was the last time you learned something? Whether you agree with him or not (and hell, I sometimes do), he is rarely doing anything other than appealing to base emotions. I guess it sells. It has kept him employed, we keep talking about it, it sells papers or generates clicks.

He has nothing to lose by saying the Bills should cut Dareus. The Bills have to make their decisions based on assets and available replacement talent. You know, like a real business that's run with real people, who sometimes have real problems.

I like the poster who shared Jerry's thoughts here, but I don't feel like JS' thoughts added anything to the conversation.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

Oh.

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully 10m

A pause from vacation to reiterate my position of early June: The Bills should have cut Marcell Dareus as soon as his car hit the tree.

Professional troll.

So then, Sully is on vacation at the start of camp. Makes me want to read his schlock all the more.

Exactly. He was probably trashing the Bills for letting Lynch go. I guess the 49ers should cut Aldon Smith. How about the Steelers with Big Ben? Jim Kelly was hardly a saint.

It's freaking football. Dareus has had about a difficult of a life as most 24 year olds. He needs help and caught himself. But dear lord, a DT smokes week and failed a conditioning test. CUT HIM NOW!!!

My response:

@TBNSully You're just salty because as long as he stays on the roster your 'inability to retain talent' column continues to collect dust.