What is better, no guns, or more guns?

7 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

No, it is clear to see that your approach is far more helpful to solving the problem.  Just cross your arms, scream about your rights, pretend to care about the victims, and give more thoughts and prayers.

I don't have all of the answers.  That is one of the purposes of trying to have a discussion.  An idea exchange can sometimes result in a reasonable solution.  What torpedoes those types of discussions are inflexible fools, such as yourself.

we went through this in the nuclear arms era, when 30 minutes of both sides in Prez debates talked about the details of missiles and war options, even Jimmy Carter was good at it...

it was okay to have a discussion between:

Party A:  who wants to keep increasing the nuclear stockpile as a deterrent to the USSR; and

Party B: who wants to slow down the increase and try to negotiate limits on the future.

It was pointless to have a discussion between:

Party A:  who wants to keep increasing the nuclear stockpile as a deterrent to the USSR; and

Party B: who wants to unilaterally destroy the US stockpile, release all violent criminals, fire the police and have a tea party on every street corner

Just now, DC Tom said:

Obviously, you're not bound to any sort of personal consistency either, which makes it impossible to discuss anything with you at all.

Pretty consistent. I'm fine with my 2nd amendment rights being infringed if it's in the interest of public safety.

It's why I have no problem with US citizens being barred from owning nuclear weapons.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Really?  I would think the standard AR-15 is a little too unwieldy for home defense.  Even the carbine version strikes me as a little much for your average homeowner.

I have a full size for home defense as well as my "oh ****" gun for work.  Granted, I'm a 6'4" tall man, but with minimal range time you can get a smaller person comfortable with it since it's relatively lightweight.  Some modifications are probably necessary to make it super effective for home defense (a front hand grip, for instance) but the fact that it's so customizable and can be built around several different calibers allows pretty much anyone to put together an AR that works for them.

Just now, gatorbait said:

Fair enough. Do you think assault weapons should be harder to get? Not outlawed, banned or taken away. Just simply harder to purchase.

In a perfect world?  Sure.  Here?  Not so much.

2 minutes ago, garybusey said:

Pretty consistent. I'm fine with my 2nd amendment rights being infringed if it's in the interest of public safety.

It's why I have no problem with US citizens being barred from owning nuclear weapons.

This is a boring strawman and I'm bored

9 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

No, it is clear to see that your approach is far more helpful to solving the problem.  Just cross your arms, scream about your rights, pretend to care about the victims, and give more thoughts and prayers.

I don't have all of the answers.  That is one of the purposes of trying to have a discussion.  An idea exchange can sometimes result in a reasonable solution.  What torpedoes those types of discussions are inflexible fools, such as yourself.

Bob, the thing is I don't view this as a problem requiring the infringement of the rights of US citizens.

Again, an American citizen's odds of dying in a mass shooting over the course of their entire life span are approximately 1:110,000.  The same as dying in a dog attack.

While any death is unfortunate, this is not a systemic problem; and the system which protects our rights itself is far more important than individual outcomes, especially those generated by circumstances which are exceedingly unlikely.

The problem, as usual Bob, is you and your poor arguments.

7 minutes ago, garybusey said:

This is a strawman argument, and one that's easily dismantled to boot.

Would you like me to dismantle it for you?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

7 minutes ago, garybusey said:

Thoroughly inconsistent, since you explicitly stated your 2nd amendment rights weren't being infringed, but now you're saying they are.

18 minutes ago, gatorbait said:

Fair enough. Do you think assault weapons should be harder to get? Not outlawed, banned or taken away. Just simply harder to purchase.

i thought it was practically impossible to ban assault weapons any further.

each time they bring up a specific item it is already banned?

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Bob, the thing is I don't view this as a problem requiring the infringement of the rights of US citizens.

Again, an American citizen's odds of dying in a mass shooting over the course of their entire life span are approximately 1:110,000.  The same as dying in a dog attack.

While any death is unfortunate, this is not a systemic problem; and the system which protects our rights itself is far more important than individual outcomes, especially those generated by circumstances which are exceedingly unlikely.

I was just going to ask you if you viewed these US mass shootings as a problem?  I see you don't see it is much of one.  Wow.  Passing an amendment is too much effort in the face of these shootings, eh?

Well that explains why you don't give a damn about looking to lessen the carnage.  I had no idea you were such a cold hearted jerk.  I mean, obviously anyone who posts here knows full well the jerk part but damn, that is cold to not see these massacres as a significant problem.

I suppose I would rather exchange ideas with folks looking at this as a problem.  

2 minutes ago, Justice said:

Can we at least put metal detectors in all schools? Yes it’s costly, but so what? 

Of the 18 school shootings so far this year, 9 wouldn't have been stopped by metal detectors in schools, since they weren't even in schools.

23 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This is a strawman argument, and one that's easily dismantled to boot.

Would you like me to dismantle it for you?

Go for it

I don’t know much about guns. Don’t own one. Don’t want one. So you’ll have to pardon my ignorance on the matter. The AR-15 can be disassembled for cleaning purposes, correct? There’s no way to clean it without taking it apart? I’m sure the answer is no. That’s unfortunate, if so. That makes it far too easy to conceal it in public. 

9 minutes ago, Justice said:

I don’t know much about guns. Don’t own one. Don’t want one. So you’ll have to pardon my ignorance on the matter. The AR-15 can be disassembled for cleaning purposes, correct? There’s no way to clean it without taking it apart? I’m sure the answer is no. That’s unfortunate, if so. That makes it far too easy to conceal it in public. 

To properly clean an AR-15, you must field strip it.  This goes for virtually every gun.  You can do a quick clean (just the barrel and a couple other parts) by simply taking the upper part away from the lower part of the gun.

7 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I was just going to ask you if you viewed these US mass shootings as a problem?  I see you don't see it is much of one.  Wow.  Passing an amendment is too much effort in the face of these shootings, eh?

Well that explains why you don't give a damn about looking to lessen the carnage.  I had no idea you were such a cold hearted jerk.  I mean, obviously anyone who posts here knows full well the jerk part but damn, that is cold to not see these massacres as a significant problem.

I suppose I would rather exchange ideas with folks looking at this as a problem.  

No, Bob, it's not a problem rising to the level that requires the forfeiture of rights by every US citizen.

Again,  one death per 110,000 Americans over the course of their entire lives.

That's roughly 400 deaths per year on the very high end.

To put that in perspective, somewhere around 100 people die in the US every year from bee stings.  Roughly 45 people die every year from skiing and snowboarding.  The CDC reports that roughly 45 people die per year from tap water that is too hot.  Roughly 200 people die per year falling off of chairs.  Being constipated accounts for approximately 150 deaths per year.

Are these also circumstances requiring the suspension of rights?  Where is your outrage, Bob, you cold hearted jerk!