What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Actually, I'm not trying at all.

The Cato institute did a comprehensive study on this determining that tens of thousands of crimes are prevented every year by ordinary armed citizens.

Read it here.

Referencing a partisan institute? You're not seeing how many of you are just whiney liberals turned on their heads.

He he he...

Thank you BFLo Bills!

I like these moderates! You Guys are getting closer to Kurtz... Keep travelling upstream. ;-)

I see a lot of people talking about millenials like they have a pulse on our generation, but I feel we are the absolute perfect group to embrace a centrist movement.

Time is on our side.

And you just referenced the Cato Institute.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Rather than resorting to what looks to be the build up to a logical fallacy, how about reading the report, and then challenging it's findings with your own data.

And I still can't get over the fact that you believe children are the property of government, and the notion that parents being involved in the educational choices for their own children is un-American. Which America are you referencing? Malenkov's or Khrushchev's?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Referencing a partisan institute? You're not seeing how many of you are just whiney liberals turned on their heads.

You're engaging in logical fallacy.

Further, Cato isn't "partisan", as it soundly criticizes policies of both Democrats and Republicans. It's a libertarian (small "L") think tank; and I find it laughable that you both a) seem to believe that all think tanks don't have guiding philosophies, and b) that you're dismissive of the findings of studies whose guiding philosopies you don't subscribe to.

That's a near perfect definition of anti-intellectualism.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Rather than resorting to what looks to be the build up to a logical fallacy, how about reading the report, and then challenging it's findings with your own data.

And I still can't get over the fact that you believe children are the property of government, and that the notion that parents shouldn't be involved in the educational choices for their own children to be un-American. Which America are you referencing? Malenkov's or Khrushchev's?

I want serious self-reflection here...

If I posted an article from the NYT or CNN would you bother to read it at all before dismissing it as biased? If so, how is dismissal of the Cato Institute different?

And I still can't get over the fact that you believe children are the property of government, and that the notion that parents shouldn't be involved in the educational choices for their own children to be un-American. Which America are you referencing? Malenkov's or Khrushchev's?

Yikes. Not quite there.

Bummer. Get back to you in a sec tho, I'm driving.

Off topic and I apologize...I think they perpetuate the attitude of entitlement we suffer from today. I think they're insular, self-congratulatory, undemocratic, wholly unAmerican.

Do you think it's possible that private schools could offer a better education than public schools? If so, do you think those that can afford it should have the option of sending their kids there? If not, why?

I think...I can almost hear it...I think TakeYouToTasker's about to have an original thought! Deep breaths everybody...

So far your stances are so well thought out.

Guns are bad because I don't see the need.

Private schools are bad because they're Unamerican.

Well reasoned positions with lots of facts to back them up. You're about two keystrokes away from earning idiot status.

And Comrad Rockpile seems to have a great vision for the US. If only there was an example or two of his beliefs where we could that strategy played out long term...

I want serious self-reflection here...

If I posted an article from the NYT or CNN would you bother to read it at all before dismissing it as biased? If so, how is dismissal of the Cato Institute different?

I apologize in advance for triggering you by espousing idea that one should read not only an article, but then the supporting source material, before forming an opinion.

You're an idealist. I get it. I like it.

You're also starting to parrot the lobbyist line re: 'only criminals will have guns'. Gonna get bored quickly.

Make ammunition for illegal firearms impossible to obtain. Keep tabs on brass and powder for the DIYers.

This ain't rocket science.

So you want to make the ammo for AK-47s illegal impossible to obtain, but keep the ammo for an SKS legal and available. Even though they use the same round. Likewise, you want to keep make the M1 Garand's .30-06 ammo illegal, but keep the Winchester Super 70's .30-06 ammo legal.

Maybe it's more rocket science than you think.

Off topic and I apologize...I think they perpetuate the attitude of entitlement we suffer from today. I think they're insular, self-congratulatory, undemocratic, wholly unAmerican.

[This is an automated response.]

1icr79.jpg

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.7.

Do you think it's possible that private schools could offer a better education than public schools? If so, do you think those that can afford it should have the option of sending their kids there? If not, why?

It's absolutely possible. I'm more in conflict about how we fund public education than the concept of private schools, truth be told.

There will always be better schools with better teachers, just like there will be parents with more who can afford to send their kids there. I just think a realignment of the DOE structure would go a long way toward a better education for more.

So you want to make the ammo for AK-47s illegal impossible to obtain, but keep the ammo for an SKS legal and available. Even though they use the same round. Likewise, you want to keep make the M1 Garand's .30-06 ammo illegal, but keep the Winchester Super 70's .30-06 ammo legal.

Maybe it's more rocket science than you think.

M1 Garand? SKS?!?

Go to bed, grandpa.

Further, Cato isn't "partisan", as it soundly criticizes policies of both Democrats and Republicans. It's a libertarian (small "L") think tank; and I find it laughable that you both a) seem to believe that all think tanks don't have guiding philosophies, and b) that you're dismissive of the findings of studies whose guiding philosopies you don't subscribe to.

Libertarian is a political sect, no? Obviously think tanks have guiding philosophies that doesn't even need to be stated. I'm naturally distrustful of political think tanks as it's typically a bunch of people reinforcing their own preformed conclusions. But, sure I retract any criticism of your link as I have yet to read it.

I still don't even know what "triggering" means in the context you are using it in. I suppose I'm supposed to be offended or something, but I'm pretty laid back.

Because I'm fairly certain the chances of getting to blow a jihadi away are miniscule compared to the amount of innocent people killed by guns every year.

What about a bad guy from down the hill where I live. What are the chances one of them will break into my house?

Make ammunition for illegal firearms impossible to obtain. Keep tabs on brass and powder for the DIYers.

This ain't rocket science.

Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING in the world is impossible to obtain. What fairyland utopia are you living in? :wallbash:

What about a bad guy from down the hill where I live. What are the chances one of them will break into my house?

Dunno. Shotguns are the preferred method of home defense, so that's what I'd recommend if you're nervous.

Much more user friendly. They make em in pink now.

Missed this one.

'High comedy broke out in the PPP section today as TakeYouToTasker simultaneously argued the Cato Institute was a nonpartisan think tank while accusing a dissenting poster of anti intellectualism. Great stuff.'

It's absolutely possible. I'm more in conflict about how we fund public education than the concept of private schools, truth be told.

There will always be better schools with better teachers, just like there will be parents with more who can afford to send their kids there. I just think a realignment of the DOE structure would go a long way toward a better education for more.

M1 Garand? SKS?!?

Go to bed, grandpa.

Really? I point out the rather obvious fatal flaw in your logic, that amply demonstrates your breathtaking ignorance on the topic, and an ill-advised grandpa joke is all you have?

I see a lot of people talking about millenials like they have a pulse on our generation, but I feel we are the absolute perfect group to embrace a centrist movement.

Time is on our side.

The above is why you're not. I have yet to meet a millennial who's capable of constructing a rational argument.