Profootballtalk has Bills 28th in preseason power ranking

The annual

You'd think people would stop getting riled up about preseason rankings when they've essentially been correct about the Bills being near the bottom for the past 10+ years.

It's an annual tradition to be upset about writers thinking the Bills will be bad. Everyone has to get their outrage out now before the season ends in early November.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Preseason power rankings are pretty meaningless. Media guys often talk/write just for the sake of talking and writing. Because it sells and we fans like it when they say (stupid) stuff, even when we don't.

Given that we have an unproven HC, unproven OC, unproven QB, a bunch of unproven WRs, a new DC implementing a new scheme, etc., it's not surprising we're ranked low. Where we see potential, the national media sees concerns & weaknesses.

Preseason power rankings are pretty meaningless. Media guys often talk/write just for the sake of talking and writing. Because it sells and we fans like it when they say (stupid) stuff, even when we don't.

Given that we have an unproven HC, unproven OC, unproven QB, a bunch of unproven WRs, a new DC implementing a new scheme, etc., it's not surprising we're ranked low. Where we see potential, the national media sees concerns & weaknesses.

Fair point.

I am participating in the Power Rankings at DraftTek this year. I have them beginning the season in 21st place, but I am the most optimistic of all of the Analysts, who average out at 26th place.

1 Seattle
2 Denver
3 San Francisco
4 New Orleans
5 Green Bay
6 New England
7 Cincinnati
8 Philadelphia
9 Chicago
10 Arizona
11 Indianapolis
12 Kansas City
13 San Diego
14 Atlanta
15 Baltimore
16 Detroit
17 St Louis
18 Carolina
19 Tampa Bay
20 Dallas
21 Houston
22 Miami
23 Pittsburgh
24 NY Giants
25 NY Jets
26 Buffalo

So how many of these teams predicted KC at 11-5 last year over the year before? How many predicted the Texans going from playoff contenders to 2-14 last year.

How many predicted in Arians first year he turns the Cardinals from 5-11 to 10-6?

They have absolutely no idea. I barely ever look at power rankings like these top 100 on the NFLN. It means nothing, and there is no predictive value in it.

Who the hell knows what EJ will do this year, or how will Preston Brown or Nigel Bradham do in the Wil position. How will Schwartz defense do with the changes over Pettine. Who predicted Pettine to get us 57 sacks, 27 Int's , amd so on. No one last year.

The funny thing being optimistic is our easier part of the schedule ( not that it's easy, but easier than the end of the year ) could end up giving us a maybe decent start. Then we climb the rankings. Then at the end we hope to be 50/50. Watch our power rankings drop. Does it matter?

No. It's as Kelly mentioned about playing in Buffalo we hope in January. Remember, it's not likely but Brady could get an injury like Rogers last year for 6 weeks, but if it does, everything changes. I'm not wishing that on Brady, just highlighting why this crap is meaningless.

Ok, end of my rant. Thanks.

So how many of these teams predicted KC at 11-5 last year over the year before? How many predicted the Texans going from playoff contenders to 2-14 last year.

How many predicted in Arians first year he turns the Cardinals from 5-11 to 10-6?

They have absolutely no idea. I barely ever look at power rankings like these top 100 on the NFLN. It means nothing, and there is no predictive value in it.

Who the hell knows what EJ will do this year, or how will Preston Brown or Nigel Bradham do in the Wil position. How will Schwartz defense do with the changes over Pettine. Who predicted Pettine to get us 57 sacks, 27 Int's , amd so on. No one last year.

The funny thing being optimistic is our easier part of the schedule ( not that it's easy, but easier than the end of the year ) could end up giving us a maybe decent start. Then we climb the rankings. Then at the end we hope to be 50/50. Watch our power rankings drop. Does it matter?

No. It's as Kelly mentioned about playing in Buffalo we hope in January. Remember, it's not likely but Brady could get an injury like Rogers last year for 6 weeks, but if it does, everything changes. I'm not wishing that on Brady, just highlighting why this crap is meaningless.

Ok, end of my rant. Thanks.

Dunno... every year power rankings predict the Bills to suck, and the Bills suck every year.... maybe they aren't as inaccurate as one would think. :bag:

Mike Florio seems to have it out for Buffalo...his tone about the sale of the team, amongst other things, is downright hateful.

This is the guy who had a hissy-fit about not being the "source" who was acknowledged with some 49ers news, maybe Harbaugh's status.

Take it with a grain of salt. This is the last outlet that should be cited as a "credible source." It's no different than Bleacher Report.

WELP.

1. Mike Rodak@mikerodak 4m
    Comprehensive work from our ESPN NFL Insider team, which ranked the Bills 30th in their “Future" Power Rankings: http://es.pn/1nhWFsC

That's another tool who never seems to have a clue as to what he's talking about.

Plus, who in the world would PAY MONEY to read that garbage? It's pathetic...you get better information here, in my opinion.

Someone rationalize for me why anyone would rank a perennial 6-10 team any higher?

Kirby already did.... 6-10 is normally in the bottom 10, but not bottom 5.... but im not losing sleep over that gap, because really, whats the difference there. its on the outside looking to prove they deserve to get in either way - which is fair.

Kirby already did.... 6-10 is normally in the bottom 10, but not bottom 5.... but im not losing sleep over that gap, because really, whats the difference there. its on the outside looking to prove they deserve to get in either way - which is fair.

True, and in all honesty, if the defense resembles anything like last year's unit, and EJ is the same player as last year, bottom 10 is where they will finish. Lots of sacks, lots of flashy moments, lots of yards given up on the ground defensively, coupled with piss poor QB play. Drafting 9th.... ohhh jeez I need a beer, and it's only 8 am where I am...

The difference between 28 and 24 means little and until we figure out if we have a reliable qb, and/or HC - we will show poorly in rankings

Winning solves all of this. Problem is, no one expects the team to win anymore. Like, its over. Team needs to change the perception, that will effect the reality. Win some d--n games, and after the "well, that is an aberration" and "well, Buffalo sucks in general" followup negativity subsides, then they will get the respect and rankings. Takes time and wins. Lots of wins.