Why so little competition for Moorman?

I don't get it. Moorman is 38 and was losing his leg years ago (and hence the Bills released him). Now he is 2 years plus removed from being released and he (seemingly) has no competition? The Ray Guy award winner from college last year is sitting at home. Why do they not bring in a young strong leg (like Tom Hornsey)? Maybe they have someone they plan to pick up after a release in late August?

http://rayguyaward.com/tom-hornsey-2013/

Edited by richNjoisy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as mentioned, they have the kid from Harvard. i've never seen a team have more than 2 punters at camp. that would be silly.

2 punters and 2 kickers, we do have some competition going

Edited by kdiggz

Moorman, close to worst unchallenged position player in football at this point.

Not trying to be flippant but i'm curious based on what I've read of your posts. What do you like about this team?

Not trying to be flippant but i'm curious based on what I've read of your posts. What do you like about this team?

Potential is good. But what is potential, really, without production and it translating to victories? This was not a well coached team last year.

I actually like EJ, I hope he can produce. I don't think he will be a big fantasy guy ever, but has maturity to be successful at the end of games.

I liked the trade to get Sammy Watkins. I liked getting rid of Johnson, he hinders the development of a young QB with erratic pass patterns.

I think Schwartz is a big upgrade of Pettine.

There are some talented players, I am sick of excuses. I am a little more optimistic this year.

Yes, I think Kyle Williams is the most overrated player in the NFL, the Bills have sucked against the run for 8 straight years, and he has been playing in the middle for 8 straight years, he is not big enough. There is no way around the on the field results, he is not a leader, he has no impact, he does not make the Bills better, and never has, and if you are not better you are getting worse.

Gilmour has a lot to prove still.

Aaron Williams was impressive last year.

as mentioned, they have the kid from Harvard. i've never seen a team have more than 2 punters at camp. that would be silly.

2 punters and 2 kickers, we do have some competition going

I'm sorry kdiggz if I sound obnoxious here - but I thought I was clear that by "challenged" I meant a real challenge. The Harvard kid averaged 5+ less yards net per kick. The Punter I mentioned won the top punting award . My question was about quality of the challenge. His stats certainly suggest he would be someone of value in camp.

One only needed to look at the roster to see the Harvard kid. I then looked up his numbers and , IMO, they were mediocre.

I'm sorry kdiggz if I sound obnoxious here - but I thought I was clear that by "challenged" I meant a real challenge. The Harvard kid averaged 5+ less yards net per kick. The Punter I mentioned won the top punting award . My question was about quality of the challenge. His stats certainly suggest he would be someone of value in camp.

One only needed to look at the roster to see the Harvard kid. I then looked up his numbers and , IMO, they were mediocre.

they must think he is a challenger or they wouldn't have invited him to camp. that was my point. if there are better choices out there then i'm sure the scouting dept is looking into them. punters are a dime a dozen and they usually don't get drafted so there are a large number of them to choose from

Moorman, close to worst unchallenged position player in football at this point.

I actually agree with you on this one!! Moorman was once great but he is done. The kid from Harvard is there but there has to be better options out there. It is weird that Moorman is the favorite to have a role as an NFL punter at this point in his career.

Google that Dombrowki kid. There's a video of him kicking one 70 yards with 5.6 sec. hangtime. No competition? Yeah, right.

C'mon promo that's one punt. What matters are his total numbers which look incredibly mediocre. Look I hope YOU are right and the kids great.

But, jeesh, you really think one punt on youtube means the kid is "competition"?

Did you check out the link I gave above in post #5? On that webpage there is a video of some of his Kohl's camp punts in a semi competition with Marquette King of the Raiders. Also, in the section ................

Kohl's Workouts Attended

National Elite Camp - (Free Agent/College athletes) - July 18-20, 2013 Results

Tampa, FL - Pro/College Training Camp - Jan. 27-28, 2013

......... the results link is to the stats he compiled while winning their competition/evaluation. Arkansas punter Dylan Breeding (Redskins FA signing) came in 2nd. About 25% of his Harvard kicks were inside the 20 and his net average is close to 40. He is definintely, imo, a challenger for Moorman's roster spot.

I would accept that bet. I have Moorman as the easy favorite.

I think the staff is more comfortable with a vet with good hang time and consistency, over a younger guy with a big leg and less consistency.

I think that you're right JR. That to me begs the question why we can't have both? I suspect that Moorman will have the job but he isn't even serviceable anymore. I know that Bandit swears up and down that the kid from Memphis is the guy. I have no idea if anyone picked him up at or after the draft but might be worth a flier. It couldn't hurt. Edited by Kirby Jackson