Why so little competition for Moorman?

Again, its not simply about punt ability. One of the biggest contributions Moorman made to putting actual points on the board was Morman's partnership with Carpenter. Moorman was nearly flawless in fielding sometimes pretty errant long snaps in rude Buffalo weather and getting the ball set for PK.

Part of the reason there is little competition for Mormann is the Bills do not want to risk something that works well for putting points on the board for a team which had to settle for FGs too often.

I have been reading a bit about this very point the past few days. But this means that Moorman's ability to hold for FG's is so much better than , say, another WR or QB on the team that the fact that he is nearly the worst punter in the league is worth the cost. I am sorry, but I can't accept that. This is not to say that holding for kicks is unimportant. It is. But punting IS important - kicks inside the 20, kicking a team out of trouble when backed up, long hang times to prevent big returns....this is important too. IMO, no amount of holding prowess makes it worth going into a season knowing you have one of the worst punters in the league.

I agree. But to say there are bigger fish to fry would be an understatement. Let's get some quality starters and depth on the defense so we can stop teams from running and scoring at will. Moorman isn't going to cause this team to lose. The defense is.

I'm sure they can address the punter situation along with any other roster issues. We have quality starters from last year, we brought in more this year via draft and free agency. I believe they are attempting to address their weaknesses very aggressively this year.

I'm sure they can address the punter situation along with any other roster issues. We have quality starters from last year, we brought in more this year via draft and free agency. I believe they are attempting to address their weaknesses very aggressively this year.

Look, if you're not willing to agree with everything I say, I'm just going to leave.

It wasn't one punt. Just admit the whole reason you don't see him as competition is you never heard of the guy, as if you ever hear about punters when they come out of college

This is exactly it... 99.9% of people never hear of punters, or if they do, it's bc they one some collegiate award... And of those punters that won some award, most don't pan out.

Punters are the great unknown, there is hardly ever a punter that comes out of college and everyone is SOO enamored with them that they are excited their team got them..

It generally goes something like this...

- team has a punter and brings in some guy to compete

- competitor wins battle in camp and people A.) either don't care or B.) ask who in the hell that punter is... Maybe both

- competitor punts well and starts garnering respect

- all fans vote for said punter for pro bowl

- years go by and same cycle continues...

The alternative is that the competitor doesn't win the job and fans instantly forget about him and claim the team didn't do anything to improve their punter situation...

Exactly. Of course they can. Or should. One possibility, perhaps, is they have an eye on a team that has two punters they like right now and are waiting for a release. A clue to this will

be who is doing the holding during Training camp and preseason games. If not Moorman.......

In 2013, Moorman finished near the bottom of the NFL in average yards per punt (30th place at 41.2 yards per punt) and in punts inside the 20-yard line (31st place with 16). His average from 2012 to 2013 went down 3.6 yards and his punts inside the 20 fell by six. Now, Dombrowski, averaged 39.99 average at Harvard in his senior year in 2012 which was was enough to earn him All-Ivy League honors and an invite to Jacksonville Jaguars rookie mini-camp last season.

Tom Hornsey booted 80 punts for a 42.7-yard average with a long of 63 and 24 inside the 20-yard line during his first taste of American football in '10. Led the nation and set the school record for number of punts in '11 after booming 95-42-L66-23. In '12, produced 60-43.4-L63-25 and had right knee surgery (torn meniscus) in May. Won the Ray Guy Award in '13 after recording 62-45.2-L79-29 and was the American Athletic Conference's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year. Was a threat during his career on fake punts, converting all four of his attempts with three rushes for 62 yards and completed a 61-yard pass.

Almost all punters, Doc, are UDFA, not all but most. So no surprise Moorman was an UDFA. Your point that he was on a practice squad is valid - aka went unnoticed until the Bills snagged him. Not here but I have read that Dombrowski indeed has yet-to-be-seen talent that can be brought out through pro coaching. But I started this thread asking the question , "why no challenge to Moorman?" Hornsey was just one example of a college player with better stats.

I'm sure the Bills evaluated several FA punters and thought JD was the best prospect. Still, it's odd for a Ray Guy winner to not even sign with a team.

I'm sure the Bills evaluated several FA punters and thought JD was the best prospect. Still, it's odd for a Ray Guy winner to not even sign with a team.

I would think so too. I am only raising the question.

In 2013, Moorman finished near the bottom of the NFL in average yards per punt (30th place at 41.2 yards per punt) and in punts inside the 20-yard line (31st place with 16). His average from 2012 to 2013 went down 3.6 yards and his punts inside the 20 fell by six. Now, Dombrowski, averaged 39.99 average at Harvard in his senior year in 2012 which was was enough to earn him All-Ivy League honors and an invite to Jacksonville Jaguars rookie mini-camp last season.

Tom Hornsey booted 80 punts for a 42.7-yard average with a long of 63 and 24 inside the 20-yard line during his first taste of American football in '10. Led the nation and set the school record for number of punts in '11 after booming 95-42-L66-23. In '12, produced 60-43.4-L63-25 and had right knee surgery (torn meniscus) in May. Won the Ray Guy Award in '13 after recording 62-45.2-L79-29 and was the American Athletic Conference's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year. Was a threat during his career on fake punts, converting all four of his attempts with three rushes for 62 yards and completed a 61-yard pass.

Almost all punters, Doc, are UDFA, not all but most. So no surprise Moorman was an UDFA. Your point that he was on a practice squad is valid - aka went unnoticed until the Bills snagged him. Not here but I have read that Dombrowski indeed has yet-to-be-seen talent that can be brought out through pro coaching. But I started this thread asking the question , "why no challenge to Moorman?" Hornsey was just one example of a college player with better stats.

I have his (JD) Sr. stats as a 44.0 avg with a 39.1 net, 11 inside the 20 (out of 42) with 6 touchbacks.

The Aussie appears to be 3 years older which means he was a more mature athlete for the duration of his college years and Dombrowski has likely gotten better (as per the video) since his graduation. At the Kohl kicking camp I linked, JD won their Elite Camp competition with an average of 52 yds and almost 4.9 sec of hang time.

The kid has an NFL leg and to me it's more of a question of how well he can handle ball placement. Back in the days of consecutive 7-9 seasons my brother asked me who I thought was the best player on the Bills. Moorman was my answer to which my brother agreed and added that it was a "sad situation." Brian is no longer an upper echelon punter and Dombrowski could take his job,imo.

One thing for sure is that Nix/Whaley have seriously upgraded the roster and I can't help but think this will be obvious to the entire NFL this season.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I have his Sr. stats as a 44.0 avg with a 39.1 net, 11 inside the 20 (out of 42) with 6 touchbacks.

The Aussie appears to be 3 years older which means he was a more mature athlete for the duration of his college years and Dombrowski has likely gotten better (as per the video) since his graduation. At the Kohl kicking camp I linked, JD won their Elite Camp competition with an average of 52 yds and almost 4.9 sec of hang time.

The kid has an NFL leg and to me it's more of a question of how well he can handle ball placement. Back in the days of consecutive 7-9 seasons my brother asked me who I thought was the best player on the Bills. Moorman was my answer to which my brother agreed and added that it was a "sad situation." Brian is no longer an upper echelon punter and Dombrowski could take his job,imo.

One thing for sure is that Nix/Whaley have seriously upgraded the roster and I can't help but think this will be obvious to the entire NFL this season.

I keep finding 45.2 gross and 41.2 net for his 2013 year (senior) for Hornsey

Edited by richNjoisy

My brother Darryl's theory is that when Kelsay decided to retire, he passed the photos (that allowed him to get a suspiciously large contract) on to Moorman. The team didn't believe Moorman had those photos, so they cut him. When Moorman proved he indeed had the photos, the team decided they better re-sign him.