Most overrated current Bill?

He gets a lot of credit but IMO he is clearly the Bills best player. In addition, he is one of the top 3 4-3 DE in football (with Hardy & Quinn). I think that Mario is the best football player that the Bills have had since the glory years.

Without question. This is beyond dispute.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without question. This is beyond dispute.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with this too. I think there's several others that have the potential to be as good or better but really only Mario has proven he's great and because of his age is still in his prime.

1. Kyle Williams - he makes plays DT's shouldn't and doesn't make a ton of plays DT's should. He is a liability in any base defense against the run. Great penetration in the pass rush.

2. CJ Spiller - two coaching staffs gave the ball to a 30 year old RB on 3rd and 2 and in the fourth quarter. Enough said. And he can't pass block anybody. Now enough said...

3. Kiko Alonso - at MLB. I think he will truly be special at OLB. He is too small to play the base MLB. It will be a huge decision to keep Spikes on the field in the nickel. If Spikes can hold his own in the nickel, I think Kiko gets 14 sacks and 3 INT's this year.

4. Brian Moorman - he is just bad. I add him to the list because some people still think he is adequate. I hope he gets beat out.

5. Dan Carpenter - Made some clutch kicks for a journeyman. That shows some guts under pressure. His kickoffs are not good. Despite the contract I think he gets beat out in camp.

He gets a lot of credit but IMO he is clearly the Bills best player. In addition, he is one of the top 3 4-3 DE in football (with Hardy & Quinn). I think that Mario is the best football player that the Bills have had since the glory years.

Well then, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I agree with this too. I think there's several others that have the potential to be as good or better but really only Mario has proven he's great and because of his age is still in his prime.

We've had some other really good football players (Freddie & some other backs, Kyle Williams, Jason Peters, Moorman, Pat Williams, Takeo, Clements, Cowart, Byrd, Fletcher, Winfield & Moulds come to mind). Those guys were/are really good football players. Mario is different though. He can take over games. IMO he is the 1st league wide superstar that we have had since.

1. Kyle Williams - he makes plays DT's shouldn't and doesn't make a ton of plays DT's should. He is a liability in any base defense against the run. Great penetration in the pass rush.

2. CJ Spiller - two coaching staffs gave the ball to a 30 year old RB on 3rd and 2 and in the fourth quarter. Enough said. And he can't pass block anybody. Now enough said...

3. Kiko Alonso - at MLB. I think he will truly be special at OLB. He is too small to play the base MLB. It will be a huge decision to keep Spikes on the field in the nickel. If Spikes can hold his own in the nickel, I think Kiko gets 14 sacks and 3 INT's this year.

4. Brian Moorman - he is just bad. I add him to the list because some people still think he is adequate. I hope he gets beat out.

5. Dan Carpenter - Made some clutch kicks for a journeyman. That shows some guts under pressure. His kickoffs are not good. Despite the contract I think he gets beat out in camp.

Few DTs in the league control their gap assignments as well as KW. This idea that he's a liability in the run game is a fallacy. Completely off base.

GO BILLS!!!

We've had some other really good football players (Freddie & some other backs, Kyle Williams, Jason Peters, Moorman, Pat Williams, Takeo, Clements, Cowart, Byrd, Fletcher, Winfield & Moulds come to mind). Those guys were/are really good football players. Mario is different though. He can take over games. IMO he is the 1st league wide superstar that we have had since.

Aaron Schobel never gets any credit. 78 sacks. Second all time. If Phil Hansen goes on the wall then Schobel deserves a spot too.

Aaron Schobel never gets any credit. 78 sacks. Second all time. If Phil Hansen goes on the wall then Schobel deserves a spot too.

I forgot all about him!! Schobel would be the perfect guy to mention in that thread of the most underrated Bills of all-time. He was a really good pass rusher.

Few DTs in the league control their gap assignments as well as KW. This idea that he's a liability in the run game is a fallacy. Completely off base.

GO BILLS!!!

His ranking against the run is inflated because he makes many plays behind the line of scrimmage. That is great except when that doesn't happen, the whole defense is gashed up the middle. He was out of position as a NT and the run defense was historically bad. I want nothing more than a Williams, Dareus, and Branch dominant rotation at DT. If they play well and keep Spikes clean, the run defense may be almost adequate for the first time in a decade.

this

No not this.

Kyle is a penetrating DT not ever a lane clogging hunk of meat . Its seems some people are asking something of him that even the coaches know better.

Hell they even ask MD to do the same. Pressure the interior .

Now throw an Allen Branch in there and you have a chance to take up a a tackle and guard.

Heres the the thing Kids . The line backers have been the weakness for this team since we let that undersized fellow go who went to the Redskins

Its a line backer problem not a DT problem !

And i thnk its fixed.

Mrags hold me to it please ! I sure don't mind .

Spiller is easily the most overated by the pundits. Maybe Gilmore for my opine.

but thats just another opinion of mine i wish to have squashed this year

Edited by 3rdand12

Not having much ability to personally assess players, this is a difficult topic for me(heh, should be for a vast majority of people too :) ).

Based upon his one year breakout production in a blitz happy system with 3 probowl DLmen & a superior secondary......I'd say Jerry Hughes.

I'd also have to agree also with one of the previous posters......Sammy Watkins. I think it reasonable to rate him as a potential superstar, but until he produces something on the field it is unreasonable IMO to rate him as even a decent WR at this point.

Edited by Dibs

SAY WHAT??

That's blasphemy I tell you

you should get fill in the blank

No not this.

Kyle is a penetrating DT not ever a lane clogging hunk of meat . Its seems some people are asking something of him that even the coaches know better.

Hell they even ask MD to do the same. Pressure the interior .

Now throw an Allen Branch in there and you have a chance to take up a a tackle and guard.

Heres the the thing Kids . The line backers have been the weakness for this team since we let that undersized fellow go who went to the Redskins

Its a line backer problem not a DT problem !

And i thnk its fixed.

Mrags hold me to it please ! I sure don't mind .

Spiller is easily the most overated by the pundits. Maybe Gilmore for my opine.

but thats just another opinion of mine i wish to have squashed this year

just like Country Cletus said about another player. The fact is, Williams is overrated by fans in the least.

Believe whatever you want about him. I won't take away that he's a quick penetrating DT. But the fact still remains that the DT position is around in the NFL to clog up running lanes. Where DE and OLB are there for run contain and/or pass rushing.

On offense, I'll go with CJ. To me, he's nothing more than an Eric Metcalf/Reggie Bush-type player. For all the hype about his speed and elusiveness, he can't hold a candle to Freddie J.

On defense, it's Kyle Williams. If he were to get down to about 270 lbs, he'd make a great MLB. But as a DT, he's so fixated on disrupting a play in the backfield that he puts himself out of position.

Call me crazy, but that's what I see.

Edited by Peace Frog

I'm a fan and keep hoping for that breakout season,

but I have to go with CJ Spiller

This ....

CJ is a role player and once he loses a step in speed due to age or injury he has nothing.

Kyle Williams and Kiko Alonso????

You are out of your mind...

Here's one no one has mentioned but I think is in the discussion:

Brandon spikes

Good player and seemingly a perfect fit for schwartzs defense but I think a lot of folks are only looking at the "pro" column and ignoring the "cons" now that he's our guy.

I kinda think CJ. National media is always yapping how we need to get him "20+ touches per game" kind of thing, because "when healthy" his YPC is "X". Problem is he's simply not healthy enough to be counted on. Unfortunately the concerns about being undersized have been more or less validated to this point in his career. Of course I hope the trend reverses and he stays healthy all year, because in this offense his production will be unlimited.