It's on like a mofo: NBA edition...Lebron opts out of Miami

Buftex

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a pretty cool move by lebron, he could have waited a week to announce, but he is giving suitors a few days prior to the draft to plan accordingly...i think Lebron & Melo end up in Cleveland and the Cleveland fans are rewarded with at least one championship and Lebron is forgiven

Whether he is really going to test the free-agent market, or if this is (as the article suggests) merely a ploy to get Miami to committ to upgrading their roster, another kind of weasley move, IMO. Jeepers... 3rd consecutive final...they lose one, and now the roster isn't good enough? He is a tremendous basketball player, and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat... but whatever his motivation, it just seems like the guy still doesn't "get it" in terms of being a leader.

that's a pretty cool move by lebron, he could have waited a week to announce, but he is giving suitors a few days prior to the draft to plan accordingly...i think Lebron & Melo end up in Cleveland and the Cleveland fans are rewarded with at least one championship and Lebron is forgiven

Now, that would be cool.... and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back with the Cavs, but not just yet. I think he will end his career there..but he in his prime... he and Melo might be able to win the east together in Cleveland, but I don't see them taking out a good team in the West. I do have to wonder if the Cavs owner said "too much" when LeBron left... but I love your scenario. Would love to see the Cavs do something.

Edited by Buftex

If he went back to Cleveland, it would be the greatest move he could make. He's not going to be Jordan since he's 2-3 in Finals. But one title in Cleveland would make him a God there and correct the biggest mistake he ever made (The Decision). They have a nice young team and as a Miami fan, how could you be mad at him for going back to his hometown? IT would be a great story and I hope he makes the right choice. But he'll probably just end up in LA.

I doubt Melo goes to Cleveland because his wife seems to think she has a media career and needs to be in a big market.

Whether he is really going to test the free-agent market, or if this is (as the article suggests) merely a ploy to get Miami to committ to upgrading their roster, another kind of weasley move, IMO. Jeepers... 3rd consecutive final...they lose one, and now the roster isn't good enough? He is a tremendous basketball player, and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat... but whatever his motivation, it just seems like the guy still doesn't "get it" in terms of being a leader.

Now, that would be cool.... and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back with the Cavs, but not just yet. I think he will end his career there..but he in his prime... he and Melo might be able to win the east together in Cleveland, but I don't see them taking out a good team in the West.

Let's just see what he does first. I think if he goes to Cleveland, it will be univerally praised. And the only reason Miami goes to the Finals all the time is because the East is awful. They might struggle to get out of the 1st round in the West. That roster is getting old.

and if you don't think Cleveland isn't on the phone with Kevin Love's people.....could you imagine? Kevin Love, Lebron, Melo, Kyrie???

If he went back to Cleveland, it would be the greatest move he could make. He's not going to be Jordan since he's 2-3 in Finals. But one title in Cleveland would make him a God there and correct the biggest mistake he ever made (The Decision). They have a nice young team and as a Miami fan, how could you be mad at him for going back to his hometown? IT would be a great story and I hope he makes the right choice. But he'll probably just end up in LA.

I doubt Melo goes to Cleveland because his wife seems to think she has a media career and needs to be in a big market.

Let's just see what he does first. I think if he goes to Cleveland, it will be univerally praised. And the only reason Miami goes to the Finals all the time is because the East is awful. They might struggle to get out of the 1st round in the West. That roster is getting old.

and if you don't think Cleveland isn't on the phone with Kevin Love's people.....could you imagine? Kevin Love, Lebron, Melo, Kyrie???

Personally, I hate the concept of super teams. I think it is cheap. but if it happened in Cleveland, that would be really cool. also, a package of the #1 overall, Anthony Bennett, and maybe something else for Kevin Love seems like a good deal all around. Love is the perfect big guy to play with Lebron. They would be really fun to watch.

i have a lot of friends that are cleveland fans and they are all just about peeing themselves right now with the prospect of a 'super team' coming to cleveland...

As a fan of Cleveland sports for the most part, Lebron can pi$$ off.

I have to wonder if he's going to opt out, then re-sign with the Heat for less money so they could rebuild their team a bit more, to beat the Spurs.

The Spurs have partially stayed so good for so long because their core unit makes much less in San Antonio than they could elsewhere.

To the first bolded, you leave Harry Potter's best friend Ron out of this!

To the second bolded, I see it as exactly the opposite. Taking less money (if that's the case) to help improve the roster is exactly the type a move a leader would make. If taking less money to have a better team around you means he doesn't "get it", then I guess Tim Duncan doesn't "get it" either.

That would be a good redemption story.

I don't really care, but I do love to see arrogant fan bases get f---d, which sounds like what's going to happen in Miami.

As a fan of Cleveland sports for the most part, Lebron can pi$$ off.

Haha. The second he signs back, he will be welcomed back with open arms. He would be a money machine for Cleveland. Sold out every night and it generates a ton of business on game nights.

I hated the Decision and I hated that he went to Miami even more. But we all get to choose where we live and work. Why can't he? And if he comes back, why hold a grudge?

They have a nice young team and as a Miami fan, how could you be mad at him for going back to his hometown?

They have one player, and he's oft-injured. They also have a top-pick bust. Their second-best player is an aging free agent. They better not miss again on Thursday! Yet, if LeBron goes back there, they're automatically in the picture again.

LeBron just needs to get real, come to Charlotte and play for his idol. :w00t:

Edited by GOBILLS78

Haha. The second he signs back, he will be welcomed back with open arms. He would be a money machine for Cleveland. Sold out every night and it generates a ton of business on game nights.

I hated the Decision and I hated that he went to Miami even more. But we all get to choose where we live and work. Why can't he? And if he comes back, why hold a grudge?

Im much more cynical than the average fan admittedly. I dont have too much stake in it, but adopted the Cavs as my NBA team to go along with the Indians, (who have always been my MLB team and Im a legit fan with almost as much emotion as Sabres/Bills)...

But I dont know. Cleveland is like Buffalo where its a lot about the chase. When it does happen its going to be a world-stopping celebration/event. I think it would be greatly cheapened if a "super team" just suddenly decided to come play for the Sabres, they became overwhelming favorites, and they won a cup (much like what happened with the Heat).

Im much more cynical than the average fan admittedly. I dont have too much stake in it, but adopted the Cavs as my NBA team to go along with the Indians, (who have always been my MLB team and Im a legit fan with almost as much emotion as Sabres/Bills)...

But I dont know. Cleveland is like Buffalo where its a lot about the chase. When it does happen its going to be a world-stopping celebration/event. I think it would be greatly cheapened if a "super team" just suddenly decided to come play for the Sabres, they became overwhelming favorites, and they won a cup (much like what happened with the Heat).

What do you think Pat Kane is going to do? Sign quickly back w/the 'Hawks or see what BFLO does in the draft... Even wait till next summer and see what the market brings to drive up the cost?

Interesting...

Cleveland doesn't have the cap space to get Carmelo or Love on their squad, especially if they want to sign Irving next summer (which they would be crazy not to do). They could get LeBron though and very well may. Having Irving, his buddy Varejao, the number 1 overall pick this year (Parker?), and some development from Bennett (last year's #1 pick) could be enticing enough to get him there.

I think he stays in Miami though. You'll know shortly, if Wade and Bosh don't opt out he will leave I think. Those two need to sign for less money (not worth even close to the $20+M they are set to receive) so they can add another piece or two to have a chance against the west and the Bulls (who I believe will land Carmelo and be very formidable next season as long as Rose can stay on the court).

Edited by Mark80