It's on like a mofo: NBA edition...Lebron opts out of Miami

Buftex

What do you think Pat Kane is going to do? Sign quickly back w/the 'Hawks or see what BFLO does in the draft... Even wait till next summer and see what the market brings to drive up the cost?

Interesting...

It looks like he will sign with the Blackhawks. I would love for him to come here. Im holding out hope. Chicago has indicated that signing Toews and Kane is their highest priority and it may be done next Tuesday.

One FA isnt the same/wouldnt ruin it though. If its just Lebron playing/winning with the kids and a couple complementary guys, then I think it would be awesome.

If the Sabres got Crosby, Ovechkin, Shea Weber, and Lundqvist in one offseason and went from a garbage team to 4 Finals appearances and 2 wins, it would be cheapened a lot ****

****-hockey is a different animal and an individual in basketball is >>>>> an individual in hockey

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the first bolded, you leave Harry Potter's best friend Ron out of this!

To the second bolded, I see it as exactly the opposite. Taking less money (if that's the case) to help improve the roster is exactly the type a move a leader would make. If taking less money to have a better team around you means he doesn't "get it", then I guess Tim Duncan doesn't "get it" either.

I will admit Kiko, I didn't think of that angle...good on you! I was assuming one thing (and so are you)... but we don't know his real intent yet. I was assuming the worst, which, honestly, would really surprise me. You are likely right. I don't think LeBron wants his legacy to be as hired gun, albeit a great one. Still, though, the rumors are flying already....Chicago, LA Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Cavs...

Edited by Buftex

I will admit Kiko, I didn't think of that angle...good on you! I was assuming one thing (and so are you)... but we don't know his real intent yet. I was assuming the worst, which, honestly, would really surprise me. You are likely right. I don't think LeBron wants his legacy to be as hired gun, albeit a great one. Still, though, the rumors are flying already....Chicago, LA Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Cavs...

Especially since he already took less than a maximum contract to join the Heat in the first place, as did Wade and Bosh. Why anyone would have paid Bosh a max contract is beyond me anyway though, but at the time the experts seemed to agree that he could have got one. It's amazing that Bosh is set to make over $20M next year, while Duncan just re-upped on his deal for around $10M. I'm venturing to say that everyone would agree that Bosh is not twice the player Duncan is, the exact opposite may be more true.

Good points. You are right in that I am assuming his intent is not selfish in nature. I think staying in Miami all depends on Wade. I think he wants to, but if it's just to carry the full load while Wade rests half the year I think he'll look elsewhere. I also agree that he is well aware of the hired gun legacy. This is going to be an interesting offseason. Huge agents events and the best draft class since 2003. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

BUT: As a leader takes less money for the sake of his team... What does that do to competition around the rest of The League? Doesn't it collect talent onto a few good teams. That is why I have ALWAYS been against the salary cap. Cap protects nothing more than the big markets from their own mistakes/self. It does the exact opposite of what it was intended. You see it happening in hockey know. Only the big market teams will win out. Sure there is basketball and a team like San Antonio, they are an outlier. Hockey will be all NY, LA, CHI, and watch TOR start to rise while the small markets and their fans get strung along for their dough. They will keep raising the cap.

Interesting to see what Lebron will do and where Cleveland fits in.

Contract The Leagues and I could be more behind the cap.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

BUT: As a leader takes less money for the sake of his team... What does that do to competition around the rest of The League? Doesn't it collect talent onto a few good teams. That is why I have ALWAYS been against the salary cap. Cap protects nothing more than the big markets from their own mistakes/self. It does the exact opposite of what it was intended. You see it happening in hockey know. Only the big market teams will win out. Sure there is basketball and a team like San Antonio, they are an outlier. Hockey will be all NY, LA, CHI, and watch TOR start to rise while the small markets and their fans get strung along for their dough. They will keep raising the cap.

Interesting to see what Lebron will do and where Cleveland fits in.

Contract The Leagues and I could be more behind the cap.

I disagree with the issue translating so quickly to the NHL. You have to remember, the NBA, with a couple 'big fish' you are an elite team. It is much harder and much more of a science building a winning NHL roster. Top NBA players typically have a lot more opportunity for outside earnings than the NHL players. LeBron James makes more than double his NBA salary in endorsements I bet.

I disagree with the issue translating so quickly to the NHL. You have to remember, the NBA, with a couple 'big fish' you are an elite team. It is much harder and much more of a science building a winning NHL roster. Top NBA players typically have a lot more opportunity for outside earnings than the NHL players. LeBron James makes more than double his NBA salary in endorsements I bet.

I agree with this. Also, in hockey, teams get hot. Weren't the Kings like a 7th seed and won the Cup?

Good points. You are right in that I am assuming his intent is not selfish in nature. I think staying in Miami all depends on Wade. I think he wants to, but if it's just to carry the full load while Wade rests half the year I think he'll look elsewhere. I also agree that he is well aware of the hired gun legacy. This is going to be an interesting offseason. Huge agents events and the best draft class since 2003. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Sadly, for me, I don't see my Cetlics getting any-time in the next two years or so... I like our coach, but I am just not sure there is enough there to build around..so they will have to trade their only assett (Rondo) to get better...oh well...the way it goes...2008 was still a blast.

Sadly, for me, I don't see my Cetlics getting any-time in the next two years or so... I like our coach, but I am just not sure there is enough there to build around..so they will have to trade their only assett (Rondo) to get better...oh well...the way it goes...2008 was still a blast.

Read Bill Simmons. He has a ton of terrible trades to make them a champion next year! I love Simmons but his Boston homer side gets out of control.

Especially since he already took less than a maximum contract to join the Heat in the first place, as did Wade and Bosh. Why anyone would have paid Bosh a max contract is beyond me anyway though, but at the time the experts seemed to agree that he could have got one. It's amazing that Bosh is set to make over $20M next year, while Duncan just re-upped on his deal for around $10M. I'm venturing to say that everyone would agree that Bosh is not twice the player Duncan is, the exact opposite may be more true.

Bosh is quite good when he's not the third option. And as a third option, he's still pretty damned good. Not saying he's on the level of James, but still, don't discount him.

I will give you that. NBA is the one game where the cap has its adavantages... But stays still gravitate exposure. That exposure far outweighs everything else.

Bosh is quite good when he's not the third option. And as a third option, he's still pretty damned good. Not saying he's on the level of James, but still, don't discount him.

See, that doesn't make sense to me at all. As a third option he should play better in my opinion as they are trying to stop James and Wade more. I'm not talking about PPG or anything like that, I'm talking about him missing open shots all the time, his refusal to play inside (coached not to perhaps?), and his lack of influence on D. He would be wide open, have a second to shoot and I'd think to myself, here's a miss, and sure enough, more often than not it seemed like he missed jumpers outside 10ft and out. I don't know, maybe it's because I was at Wake while he was at GT and he looks like one of the raptors (appropriate from his drafting team) on Jurassic Park, I just don't get him and peoples love of him.

If he went back to Cleveland, it would be the greatest move he could make. He's not going to be Jordan since he's 2-3 in Finals. But one title in Cleveland would make him a God there and correct the biggest mistake he ever made (The Decision). They have a nice young team and as a Miami fan, how could you be mad at him for going back to his hometown? IT would be a great story and I hope he makes the right choice. But he'll probably just end up in LA.

I doubt Melo goes to Cleveland because his wife seems to think she has a media career and needs to be in a big market.

Let's just see what he does first. I think if he goes to Cleveland, it will be univerally praised. And the only reason Miami goes to the Finals all the time is because the East is awful. They might struggle to get out of the 1st round in the West. That roster is getting old.

He would be as beloved now as he was hated four years ago.

Go to the Cavs, Lebron!

If he went back to Cleveland, it would be the greatest move he could make. He's not going to be Jordan since he's 2-3 in Finals. But one title in Cleveland would make him a God there and correct the biggest mistake he ever made (The Decision). They have a nice young team and as a Miami fan, how could you be mad at him for going back to his hometown? IT would be a great story and I hope he makes the right choice. But he'll probably just end up in LA.

Agree completely.

LeBron has no defining moment (except "The Decision"). With Jordan, you have like 3 or 4 defining "moments" (e.g., jumper over Craig Ehlo, jumper in the finals over Russell, playing with the flu, the famous up and under against the Lakers in the finals). With Magic, you have those same moments (e.g., jumper in the lane against the Celtics, game 7 rookie year championship where he scored something like 40 playing center). With Bird, you also have those moments (e.g., famous steal/shot). I can't think of anything with LeBron, except the fact that he is really good and he won some titles with a manufactured team with a manufactured fan base. That's not going to really cement his place in history, IMO.

If LeBron went to the Cavs and heroically won them a title, his legacy would be cemented. He would be legendary, and it would wipe away the Decision and make him an undisputed good guy icon.

See, that doesn't make sense to me at all. As a third option he should play better in my opinion as they are trying to stop James and Wade more. I'm not talking about PPG or anything like that, I'm talking about him missing open shots all the time, his refusal to play inside (coached not to perhaps?), and his lack of influence on D. He would be wide open, have a second to shoot and I'd think to myself, here's a miss, and sure enough, more often than not it seemed like he missed jumpers outside 10ft and out. I don't know, maybe it's because I was at Wake while he was at GT and he looks like one of the raptors (appropriate from his drafting team) on Jurassic Park, I just don't get him and peoples love of him.

The last two years he's shot better than his career average, at > .50%

He's always been a mid range stretch power forward, and with the James and Wade needing open lanes for their games, Bosh can't sit around inside nearly as much as you'd like.... which is why he developed a respectable three point shot. He now shoots it 3 times a game, vs less than one time a game in previous years. In fact... nearly 25% of his shots now are threes, and he still shoots above .50% total...

The last two years he's shot better than his career average, at > .50%

He's always been a mid range stretch power forward, and with the James and Wade needing open lanes for their games, Bosh can't sit around inside nearly as much as you'd like.... which is why he developed a respectable three point shot. He now shoots it 3 times a game, vs less than one time a game in previous years. In fact... nearly 25% of his shots now are threes, and he still shoots above .50% total...

I'm looking beyond the stats here man (which is strange for me because I'm typically a very big numbers guy). The shots he takes now are pretty much always wide open shots. Shooting .516 overall and .339 3 pointers as an NBA player is NOT impressive to me when all you take are open shots. LeBron shot .567 / .370 last season. Pretty much every shot he takes is contested (unless he blows by a guy and dunks it). I'm sure you aren't saying Bosh is even close to the level of LeBron, but hopefully you get my point a little bit.

This is the kind of stuff that irks me about LeBron. The Heat have to make a push to get Shabazz Napier (of all players), so that LeBron will come back.

Did you ever hear guys like Jordan do things like that?..... "I demand that you draft BJ Armstrong!!"

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11133418/2014-nba-draft-miami-heat-chasing-shabazz-napier-attempt-lure-back-lebron-james