2014 Bills Mandatory Minicamp (June 17th - June 19th)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but practices should be perfect at this point. Obviously.

I know that some people know this but... in these minicamp and OTA practices usually the QB/offense is working on specific things with each rep. The outcome is not the result of the play itself working or not working but rather for the coaches to observe the progress on that specific thing - a QB's mechanics, a WR's route timing... in an actual game, they will NOT be doing these things anymore and will be running plays out of game plan designed specifically to take advantage of the mismatches on the opponent, etc. Not much can be gleaned from these early practices, especially since the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point. Edited by YoloinOhio

I know that some people know this but... in these minicamp and OTA practices usually the QB/offense is working on specific things with each rep. The outcome is not the result of the play itself working or not working but rather for the coaches to observe the progress on that specific thing - a QB's mechanics, a WR's route timing... in an actual game, they will NOT be doing these things anymore and will be running plays out of game plan designed specifically to take advantage of the mismatches on the opponent, etc. Not much can be gleaned from these early practices, especially since the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point.

I'd also add, they are just running plays, they aren't game planning. They aren't looking at how the defense is lined up and picking the right play. This is early offseason practice, with a slow build up to the season. My judgement of EJ will come more when the season starts and he's played a few games. But, even then I know for a fact, he will still make some mistakes.

Again, I am not trashing the guy and do not see a need to constantly defend my opinion. He never got a team over the top that I felt had the talent to get there. I wouldn't say that they were rebuilding at all. They had 11 guys drafted in 2013 which I believe is a record. As soon as he leaves they go undefeated and win a national championship. I saw him play probably 6 games in college and thought that he was okay. I have a friend who is a die hard FSU fan and alum and he feels the same. I trust his opinion, my eyes and my evaluation. I think that the guy is about 1 out of 3 to be the franchise guy.

I live in Florida and have for a long time college football is bigger than the NFL. The big three, Miami, Florida and FSU are judged by their record against each other and National Championships. Florida obviously dominated the 2000. Both Miami and FSU had huge problems. FSU had both the 2006 and 2007 seasons vacated because of playing in eligable players. Bowden's program was a mess when he retired. They were absolutly in a rebuilding mode.

When the Bills drafted Manuel, I began asking FSU fans that I knew what they thought. The casual fans generally said he was ok. I don't recall anyone saying they were glad he was gone. The most astute fan that I know was the first to point out Manuel's supporting cast vs Winston's. His opinion was that Winston had better protection, better receivers and better running backs. Go back and look at those rosters.

I watched more than a few of Manuel's games. My suggestion to you is go to YouTube and watch the best and worst of his final season. The Clemson win, the NC State loss and the Florida loss. In the Clemson game Manuel is great, they had the NC State game won went into a shell, that loss is on Fisher. In the Florida loss Manuel was getting killed, he had five turn overs, but only two of them are really on him. One fumble was a helmet to helmet hit that in the NFL would have been a penalty, also after that hit I don't think Manuel knew where he was.

I live in Florida and have for a long time college football is bigger than the NFL. The big three, Miami, Florida and FSU are judged by their record against each other and National Championships. Florida obviously dominated the 2000. Both Miami and FSU had huge problems. FSU had both the 2006 and 2007 seasons vacated because of playing in eligable players. Bowden's program was a mess when he retired. They were absolutly in a rebuilding mode.

When the Bills drafted Manuel, I began asking FSU fans that I knew what they thought. The casual fans generally said he was ok. I don't recall anyone saying they were glad he was gone. The most astute fan that I know was the first to point out Manuel's supporting cast vs Winston's. His opinion was that Winston had better protection, better receivers and better running backs. Go back and look at those rosters.

I watched more than a few of Manuel's games. My suggestion to you is go to YouTube and watch the best and worst of his final season. The Clemson win, the NC State loss and the Florida loss. In the Clemson game Manuel is great, they had the NC State game won went into a shell, that loss is on Fisher. In the Florida loss Manuel was getting killed, he had five turn overs, but only two of them are really on him. One fumble was a helmet to helmet hit that in the NFL would have been a penalty, also after that hit I don't think Manuel knew where he was.

No offense but you aren't going to change my mind. His play will have to improve for my mind to change. I have seen him enough to have my opinion. He still has a chance to improve but he isn't there yet.

They had 11 guys drafted last year (as opposed to this year). The talent was there (and still is). There are not excuses for losing to NC State (even though they have owned FSU). EJ had FSU as a borderline top 10 program with top 5 talent playing in the ACC. They would have lost another game or 2 a year if they played in the SEC (depending on who they had to play from the SEC West). He was okay in college and at this point about the 26th best starting QB in the NFL.

I feel the same, but to be candid, I am starting to get really down on EJ's chances to be the guy. I still hope he is.

Issues like checking down too much, holding into the ball too long, and inaccuracy are troubling. In a certain sense, I would be comforted more if he were having issues like Geno smith has--ie, making poor reads. That seems more correctible than mechanics/accuracy issues and check down-itis.

I may be wrong but this sounds like you are falling victim to the dog days. Paralysis analysis. There is quite a bit to be very excited about with Manuel as well as some concerns. My barometer was this last year and it is why I still believe in him. I wanted him to look like he belonged. I didn't care about stats, didn't even care about his w/l record. That first New England game he looked like he belonged. He played very well off of a short preseason and went toe to toe with Brady/Belicheck. Then the come back against Carolina. He had some stinkers for sure (Pitt really sticks out to me) but that is to be expected from a Rookie QB.

The dog days of summer are where you remember the bad much more than the good, read Rodak and the Jonah Jevad negative nancies, etc.. Come training camp, preseason games, that is when we will have a better idea of his progress.

@JoeBuscaglia

Cordy Glenn and Seantrel Henderson are both back today. #Bills

Scott Chandler is the only #Bills player unaccounted for today

An interesting note, maybe only to me, but 7th rd rookie LB Randell Johnson is working with the DEs this morning during positional. #Bills

@buffalobills

Get loose fellas, it's Day 2 of #Bills minicamp! pic.twitter.com/P622xiBhTl

@mikerodak

WR Ramses Barden is not on the field Wednesday. He was limited in Tuesday's practice

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This is a position we need to keep an eye on. Who else is going to step up?

I agree Mark. If I had to guess I would think that they may mix in some 3 man fronts and slide Preston Brown inside next to Spikes. Outside of Lawson I am a little concerned about the depth (admittedly I don't know much about the other candidates). It is going to be an interesting place to watch.

@mikerodak: Nickell Robey picks off Manuel in end zone to end 2 minute drill. He's hurt, though. Remains on ground w/ trainers

@JoeBuscaglia

Robey gets up and walks under his own power. Might have just gotten the wind knocked out. #Bills

@JonahJavad

Marrone to Robey: "At least you made a play. If you didn't make a play AND got hurt, that would've really sucked." #Bills

@mikerodak

Nickell Robey picks off Manuel in end zone to end 2 minute drill. He's hurt, though. Remains on ground w/ trainers

Manuel had a quality 2 min drill, moving into red zone on big gains by Hogan, Woods. But stalled at end

2-min offense included Watkins, Woods, Hogan at WR. Moeaki at TE

Robey' walking off the field. Looks to be OK. His leaping INT over Woods in end zone was highlight of practice