What if American football used soccer-style rules?

I suppose, but I think a lot of the athletes who compete for other countries because their mother is part {insert nationality} do so because they wouldn't make the US team. That seems to happen most frequently - or where I've seen it most frequently - is during the Olympics.

How does it work with Puerto Rico? I heard one of the reasons why they don't want statehood is that they would have to give up their separate Olympic team. Can I move there and have my kid ski for their team? ;-) ;-)

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose, but I think a lot of the athletes who compete for other countries because their mother is part {insert nationality} do so because they wouldn't make the US team. That seems to happen most frequently - or where I've seen it most frequently - is during the Olympics.

Yeah, always seems bogus. World Baseball Classic had stuff like Mike Piazza playing for Italy, etc.

Let's keep both footballs where they belong and we'll be all better off. No breath wasted.

There seems to be constant mention of the time between plays in football. That's actually when the build up and drama happen. Baseball and football having a break in between the action to review what just happened and build to a crescendo at the big parts of the game - are what makes it so dramatic.

I don't really like it when hockey has a shot off the post, you didn't really see what happened, and they keep going - and maybe there's another big chance, and another. And, I'm thinking wait - did that first one possibly go in, etc?

Oh please! The players themselves are bored stiff during the required TV commercial break between plays.

Interesting, thanks for posting that - it certainly changes my perspective in regards to those players.

I assumed that we granted some citizenship for players with American aunts and third cousins twice removed like many nations do in the Olympics. It was nice to see that these kids were Army brats instead of Germans who weren't going to make the national team.

Most football players are too heavy to play soccer. There is no place for a 300 pound lineman type, and no place for the 230- 250 pound linebacker, because carrying that extra weight around and the lack of agility means they can't hack it at any advance level. Most people are not that heavy (if they are in any shape) so that is no loss to soccer. Guys who play QB, WR, DB and the smaller RB are candidates for becoming soccer players. Most of the world population is a size that will fit in someplace on a soccer team. Frankly, no real disrespect, but most football players (especially linemen) are sort of physical freaks. How many people do you know that are 280 to 350 pounds (if in shape)? As to the physical staminia aspect,,,,, do you really think that an NFL lineman could really run 2-3 miles in a game? Does the nfl combine measure speed and endurance at distances beyond 60 yards? It's apples to oranges.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

I assumed that we granted some citizenship for players with American aunts and third cousins twice removed like many nations do in the Olympics. It was nice to see that these kids were Army brats instead of Germans who weren't going to make the national team.

That IS what I figured and this is a lot different than that.

Oh please! The players themselves are bored stiff during the required TV commercial break between plays.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about - TV commercial breaks! :wallbash:

Sorry, it's a simple fact that in this country, soccer is only followed nationally during the world cup.

Actually, that's only been true this year. The TV audiences for this World Cup have been stunning.

Not surprising since TV ratings have been on the rise for soccer for years and the in-game attendance is higher on average than hockey and the NBA.

Actually, that's only been true this year. The TV audiences for this World Cup have been stunning.

Not surprising since TV ratings have been on the rise for soccer for years and the in-game attendance is higher on average than hockey and the NBA.

I think a lot of that is due to the fact that NBC among others are now broadcasting a lot of English Premier League soccer matches both live (fairly early weekend mornings in the US) and replays. The quality of these games is so much above MLS that Americans finally have a chance to see how the game should be played more than once every 4 years.

What if NFL refs heavily influenced the outcome of games with questionable calls / no-calls late in contests that suspiciously tended to favor the marquee teams???

Oh, wait....

Heh ;)

Since this has evolved into an all things soccer thread:

I hear there are monsoon-like conditions where the USA-DEU game will played. If true, that can't hurt the USMNT's chances any.

That's great. Notice the US climbing up the flop rankings as their results improve on the pitch! Coincidence (I wonder how much of that occurred while they were trying to run out the clock on Portugal)??

Dempsey's broken nose and Altidore's hammy certainly contributed.