What if American football used soccer-style rules?

Until athletic beasts like LeBron, Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham start playing soccer it will be nothing more than a cute little pastime for kids and hipsters.

I suppose if your view was limited to within the borders of the US that might be true. But for example, if you look at the 10 highest paid athletes in the world in 2013 (didn't see a 2014 list) you would see that there were 2 tackle football players, 2 basketball players, and 3 football (soccer) players.

http://www.sportsbreak.com/sports/10-highest-paid-athletes-in-2013/

Rice is the most popular food in the world. That doesn't make it better than steak.

It would to a vegetarian or vegan. It's all subjective.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BINGO... That has always been the thing w/soccer... Knowing when to coast and when to turn it. Most of it is coasting (of course be set in the right position).

Overall, great anaylsis Campy!

Now you did it.

Don't get me started. Asian carp is the most eaten fish in the world too. Really... Look it up, number one consumed fish (outside of US/Canada).

Is it better than trout?

In terms of sustaining billions of people? Yes.

Until athletic beasts like LeBron, Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham start playing soccer it will be nothing more than a cute little pastime for kids and hipsters.

If that happens, we will know the terrorists have won..

LOl, a cute little pastime played by millions worldwide. The guys you mention are great athletes, but not even the best at their own sports, let alone soccer. They wouldn't stand a chance. The ignorance of this thread knows no bounds.

LOl, a cute little pastime played by millions worldwide. The guys you mention are great athletes, but not even the best at their own sports, let alone soccer. They wouldn't stand a chance. The ignorance of this thread knows no bounds.

It's more about soccer in the US, not worldwide. It won't be anything more than a pastime in the US until this counties premier athletes start playing the sport. I'm not trying to be extreme, but it's just a fact that if the guys I mentioned and about 100 others decided to play soccer instead of football or basketball, the US would never lose a game. A guy like Calvin Johnson is 6'5" , 240 and runs faster than any of these soccer squirts. It wouldn't be a fair fight.

It's more about soccer in the US, not worldwide. It won't be anything more than a pastime in the US until this counties premier athletes start playing the sport. I'm not trying to be extreme, but it's just a fact that if the guys I mentioned and about 100 others decided to play soccer instead of football or basketball, the US would never lose a game. A guy like Calvin Johnson is 6'5" , 240 and runs faster than any of these soccer squirts. It wouldn't be a fair fight.

How are Megatron's ball skills? How will his 40 yard dash time hold up over 90 minutes? Don't you think that comparing athletes who train for two completely different sports is a bit silly?

How are Megatron's ball skills? How will his 40 yard dash time hold up over 90 minutes? Don't you think that comparing athletes who train for two completely different sports is a bit silly?

Obviously I can't provide answers to those specific questions, but my point was more hypothetical in nature.

We have athletes in this country that are MUCH bigger, faster, and stronger than anyone playing soccer. And I'm not talking about a little bit, I'm talking A LOT. My point is that if they grew up playing soccer instead if something else, they'd dominate the sport. So it's hard to take soccer seriously when we know that in this country it's the B and C athletes that play the sport.

Edited by dubs

Obviously I can't provide answers to those specific questions, but my point was more hypothetical in nature.

We have athletes in this country that are MUCH bigger, faster, and stronger than anyone playing soccer. And I'm not talking about a little bit, I'm talking A LOT. My point is that if they grew up playing soccer instead if something else, they'd dominate the sport. So it's hard to take soccer seriously when we know that in this country it's the B and C athletes that play growing up playing and are currently playing the sport.

And if the metrics you cited were actually advantages in soccer, Megatron would kill the pack in the marathon too. Why don't you rethink your point.

And if the metrics you cited were actually advantages in soccer, Megatron would kill the pack in the marathon too. Why don't you rethink your point.

The soccer crowd is so sensitive.

If you think that being an agile, fast, strong, guy who is bigger than everyone else isn't an advantage, you're nuts.

Can you imagine a guy like LeBron or Jimmy Graham playing defense for a soccer team? You think a relative pip squeak like Messi is going to be able to dominate? No chance.

Lebron, Megatron and Graham aren't the best at their sports? Maybe you know only about soccer?

The soccer crowd is so sensitive.

If you think that being an agile, fast, strong, guy who is bigger than everyone else isn't an advantage, you're nuts.

Can you imagine a guy like LeBron or Jimmy Graham playing defense for a soccer team? You think a relative pip squeak like Messi is going to be able to dominate? No chance.

Lets try again. Do you think theres any chance in hell that Graham or LeBron are still standing at half time? Do you think that the United States is the only nation on the planet which produces athletes bigger, stronger and faster than the typical pro soccer player? Would LeBron be the world's best gymnast too? How about the world's finest jockey?

Lets try again. Do you think theres any chance in hell that Graham or LeBron are still standing at half time? Do you think that the United States is the only nation on the planet which produces athletes bigger, stronger and faster than the typical pro soccer player? Would LeBron be the world's best gymnast too? How about the world's finest jockey?

Try what again? You're not making any sense.

Here goes....

I've never watched a soccer game when people sprinted most of the time. It's generally a few short bursts of frenzied activity and then light jogging. That is by no means easy, but let's not pretend these guys are sprinting for 90 minutes. So yeah, I think they'd be able to handle it.

Gymnastics and being a Jockey there's an advantage to being small. Like sitting on a plane. So no, they wouldn't be good at those sports but Messi might be.

We have athletes in this country that are MUCH bigger, faster, and stronger than anyone playing soccer. And I'm not talking about a little bit, I'm talking A LOT. My point is that if they grew up playing soccer instead if something else, they'd dominate the sport. So it's hard to take soccer seriously when we know that in this country it's the B and C athletes that play the sport.

You are way off in this. Just because they are dominant in one sport is by no means a guarantee they would be dominant in another had they trained for it. Particularly when the sports in question, [tackle] football and football [soccer], require such different abilities.

Could the US develop world class soccer players? Absolutely, and we are already starting to. For example, Clint Dempsey has been playing in one of the best leagues in the world for years and the US goalie, Tim Howard, is widely considered to be one of the top 5 (at least) in the world. Your "our sport is better and nothing else matters" mentality is common, unfortunately, among many Americans. Things are changing, albeit it at a snails pace it seems. There is room for all sports I believe. The US is big enough, diverse enough, and driven enough not only to dominate tackle football (which is not difficult as we are the only ones playing ;) ) but to have dominant soccer teams and players as well. I look forward to the day when that is completely realized.

Try what again? You're not making any sense.

Here goes....

I've never watched a soccer game when people sprinted most of the time. It's generally a few short bursts of frenzied activity and then light jogging. That is by no means easy, but let's not pretend these guys are sprinting for 90 minutes. So yeah, I think they'd be able to handle it.

Gymnastics and being a Jockey there's an advantage to being small. Like sitting on a plane. So no, they wouldn't be good at those sports but Messi might be.

So you see that there are zero pro soccer players who are built like Jimmy Graham or LeBron and your conclusion is that its simply never been tried or thought of before?

When is the World Cup Super Bowl anyway? Then all the soccer super fans can go back to ignoring the sport like the rest of us for another 4 years.

The strain of maintaining the air of an afficianado of this sport must be incredible for these guys....soccer cicadas!