What if American football used soccer-style rules?

And you can repeat this till your blue in the face and it will never change the fact that it will always be a game faster, more fluid and entertaining than American Football in the eyes of most sports fans.

Not in the eyes of most fans where there is also American football to watch, which is the point of this discussion.

Define played at any level?

Have you ever had your kids play in a soccer league?

Mine did and I will tell you ... some of those kids are clueless.

Yeah, some may be clueless, but they were playng soccer and the game went right on.

"Any skill level" would include just about anyone short of Steven Hawking.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About what? The mile pace? Yes.

People are making the claim that guys like LeBron James and Calvin Johnson couldn't hold up for an entire grueling soccer match. It was said that these soccer players run 7 miles over the course of 105 minutes with a break in the middle. That's a 15 minute mile pace which is honestly very slow. To suggest that the guys we talked about couldn't do that is funny.

I didn't suggest that they aren't capable.. But they would need to get in Soccer game shape in order to do so. They CERTAINLY couldn't right now. And you keep spouting this "7 miles over the course of 105 minutes" notion, as if they are just jogging in a nice evening around the track. They've been keeping track of the miles run during WC coverage and the subs that are coming in after the 70-75 minute are typically clocking in over 8 miles, which means throughout the course of WC games, where they press a lot more in defense, they run between 9-10 miles.

And it's not just jogging, there are constant burst of sprints. If you truly don't believe that there isn't more conditioning and cardio in Soccer than any other team sport, then you are absolutely deluding yourself. That's a Fact. Not an opinion, but a fact

Not in the eyes of most fans where there is also American football to watch, which is the point of this discussion.

Umm, you are factually 100% incorrect. Why don't you try rephrasing your sentence.

Edited by Magox

And yet football players and basketball players who don't run nearly as much over longer periods of total game time can't play the whole !@#$ing game. So what was your argument again???

Then why don't they? Why don't they play complete games?

Oy Vey!

The answer for football should be obvious. There's an offense, defense, special teams, game circumstances, and injuries because it's a collision sport. In other words it's a lot more exhausting to run with a 300lb man trying to tackle you than it is to jog up and down a field.

Basketball is also a much more physical game and only 5 players on the court. The court is also much smaller and the level of exertion is consistently higher for the guys on the court.

Think of it like this. If you're at the gym, measure your heart rate and compare jogging on the treadmill and bench pressing a significant weight for you. Then tell me what's more exhausting and what heart rate is higher.

The injury time aspect isn't completely black and white. The referee won't stop the game if a team is just about to shoot it into an empty net to tie the game. Its more of a judgement call when the required time has passed. The next goal kick, or throw-in, or even clear into midfield brings about the close to a game.

Just started reading this thread. Was waiting for someone to say that. It's equivalent to a final play in American football. Clock could be at 0:00 for x amount of seconds. An American football game doesn't end until the final play is over. A penalty can also put x amount of seconds back on the clock in American football.

Oy Vey!

The answer for football should be obvious. There's an offense, defense, special teams, game circumstances, and injuries because it's a collision sport. In other words it's a lot more exhausting to run with a 300lb man trying to tackle you than it is to jog up and down a field.

Basketball is also a much more physical game and only 5 players on the court. The court is also much smaller and the level of exertion is consistently higher for the guys on the court.

Think of it like this. If you're at the gym, measure your heart rate and compare jogging on the treadmill and bench pressing a significant weight for you. Then tell me what's more exhausting and what heart rate is higher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one is trying to tackle a defensive back. I'm not talking about every play. I'm asking why DBs don't even play every defensive snap since its a 5 second jog followed by 35 seconds of standing around. Why do they sub out? Thats not tiring, remember? Kinda like your mischaracterization of soccer.

Basketball is consistently higher exertion, how much so we cannot quantify, for half the game clock relative to a soccer match, yet played over double the actual game time, on a surface a fraction of the size. What should I glean from that?

Since you've finally put a post together that makes sense, although it cannot be reconciled with your previous gibberish, perhaps you're now ready to admit that different sports require different conditioning and its simply absurd to think that basketball players or football players would walk out on to the pitch today and keep up pip squeaks like Messi, let alone dominate.

<snip> If you truly don't believe that there isn't more conditioning and cardio in Soccer than any other team sport, then you are absolutely deluding yourself. That's a Fact. Not an opinion, but a fact

<snip>

I think you don't know the definition of the words "fact" and "opinion."

But carry on; it's surprisingly entertaining to watch people getting so snarky about defending a game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one is trying to tackle a defensive back. I'm not talking about every play. I'm asking why DBs don't even play every defensive snap since its a 5 second jog followed by 35 seconds of standing around. Why do they sub out? Thats not tiring, remember? Kinda like your mischaracterization of soccer.

Basketball is consistently higher exertion, how much so we cannot quantify, for half the game clock relative to a soccer match, yet played over double the actual game time, on a surface a fraction of the size. What should I glean from that?

Since you've finally put a post together that makes sense, although it cannot be reconciled with your previous gibberish, perhaps you're now ready to admit that different sports require different conditioning and its simply absurd to think that basketball players or football players would walk out on to the pitch today and keep up pip squeaks like Messi, let alone dominate.

I don't have time to correct the factual errors in that rant, so I'll just clarify one thing and sort of agree with you. I'm not saying Richard Sherman could step onto a soccer field and be as good as messi tomorrow. What I'm saying is if guys like Sherman, Graham, LeBron, CJ, and dozens of other football and basketball players grew up playing soccer instead of the other sports, they'd dominate the game. DOMINATE.

I think you don't know the definition of the words "fact" and "opinion."

But carry on; it's surprisingly entertaining to watch people getting so snarky about defending a game.

Uh, no, it is a fact, not an opinion. Try reading up some.

I don't have time to correct the factual errors in that rant, so I'll just clarify one thing and sort of agree with you. I'm not saying Richard Sherman could step onto a soccer field and be as good as messi tomorrow. What I'm saying is if guys like Sherman, Graham, LeBron, CJ, and dozens of other football and basketball players grew up playing soccer instead of the other sports, they'd dominate the game. DOMINATE.

:lol:

Perhaps. But if they trained to play soccer then they wouldn't really look quite like the specimens they are today. LeBron wouldn't be carrying 270 lbs on his frame. They'd look much more like *gasp* soccer players, mitigating the incredible strength advantages those athletes have at current. Since soccer is a skill game, your last point, while plausible, is still total conjecture.

The only thing that is certain, is that if soccer were the number one sport in this country and attracted our best athletes, that the US would be a much better soccer playing nation. The United States doesn't have a monopoly on big men and exceptional athletes.

:lol:

Perhaps. But if they trained to play soccer then they wouldn't really look quite like the specimens they are today. LeBron wouldn't be carrying 270 lbs on his frame. They'd look much more like *gasp* soccer players, mitigating the incredible strength advantages those athletes have at current. Since soccer is a skill game, your last point, while plausible, is still total conjecture.

The only thing that is certain, is that if soccer were the number one sport in this country and attracted our best athletes, that the US would be a much better soccer playing nation. The United States doesn't have a monopoly on big men and exceptional athletes.

If Nintendo had a soccer game like the Ice Hockey game back in the early 90s, I'd pick the all fat team with one medium and win in that as well.

This just goes to show you how clueless you truly are. The only way they would be able to "dominate" is if they grew up somewhere where there was a culture for the sport. You think these guys just go and play high school and college soccer and Voila! CHAMPIONSHIP!! :lol:

No, the best teams in the world begin recruiting them at the age 9-10. In other words, the professional teams have their schools, in which they basically buy their rights to play for them at this early age. They provide schooling, shelter and eat and breathe soccer every single day. In many of the cases, the kids leave their parents house to other cities to play at these academies for soccer. It is year round.

The idea that based on training that like what we see here in the U.S and then all of a sudden you will have some physical studs step in, somehow equates to "DOMINATE"ing the sport is simply ignorant.

You realize this is a Buffalo Bills football board, right? Where people come to discuss football, the Bills, and things related to that. I'm sure you can find a .fr or .it where soccer boards are more common.

It's not that great of a sport no matter how much of a mystique people try to give it. It's simple, slow, and acting hurt is part of the game.

I am very much aware of where I am. This is a thread comparing football (soccer) to American football. It appears here because that is where someone started it. I am a diehard Bills fan and have been since the first season of Bills football. My point is that soccer is not a once every four years spectacle like the Olympics. Millions of people play and watch it year round and around the world. Because I enjoy the sport does not make me any less of a Bills fan or a fan of American football. I am defending another sport being discussed on an American football board by ignorant American football fans. Thank you for playing.

I am very much aware of where I am. This is a thread comparing football (soccer) to American football. It appears here because that is where someone started it. I am a diehard Bills fan and have been since the first season of Bills football. My point is that soccer is not a once every four years spectacle like the Olympics. Millions of people play and watch it year round and around the world. Because I enjoy the sport does not make me any less of a Bills fan or a fan of American football. I am defending another sport being discussed on an American football board by ignorant American football fans. Thank you for playing.

Hahaha. You guys are priceless. So touchy when it comes to the precious passion of soccer.

Uh, no, it is a fact, not an opinion. Try reading up some.

Excellent post - I rate it Fanboi Level (expert)

But okay, okay, I'll do some reading. Let's see, I'll google "team sport requiring highest cardio stamina" and see what I find...

Okay, let's see which team sport what the highest ranked team sport is on this list: http://www.fitday.co...o-sports.html#b

Let's see how these guys rate soccer: http://www.topendspo...tm Interesting, Aussie Rules Football made the list, but no soccer...

Edited by Campy

Excellent post - I rate it Fanboi Level (expert)

But okay, okay, I'll do some reading. Let's see, I'll google "team sport requiring highest cardio stamina" and see what I find...

Okay, let's see which team sport what the highest ranked team sport is on this list: http://www.fitday.co...o-sports.html#b

Let's see how these guys rate soccer: http://www.topendspo...tm Interesting, Aussie Rules Football made the list, but no soccer...

Wow! How can we even begin to have a conversation when your levels of comprehension is that of a 9 year old.

If you truly don't believe that there isn't more conditioning and cardio in Soccer than any other team sport

From your link, Soccer and Hockey were listed as the only two team sports.

I rate your comprehension levels that of a - nincompoop :doh::lol:

Edited by Magox

This just goes to show you how clueless you truly are. The only way they would be able to "dominate" is if they grew up somewhere where there was a culture for the sport. You think these guys just go and play high school and college soccer and Voila! CHAMPIONSHIP!! :lol:

No, the best teams in the world begin recruiting them at the age 9-10. In other words, the professional teams have their schools, in which they basically buy their rights to play for them at this early age. They provide schooling, shelter and eat and breathe soccer every single day. In many of the cases, the kids leave their parents house to other cities to play at these academies for soccer. It is year round.

The idea that based on training that like what we see here in the U.S and then all of a sudden you will have some physical studs step in, somehow equates to "DOMINATE"ing the sport is simply ignorant.

Ah, now I get it--it's like....gymnastics! Another sport that gets "serious attention" every 4 years by people who don't really care about it.

Ah, now I get it--it's like....gymnastics! Another sport that gets "serious attention" every 4 years by people who don't really care about it.

You mean as opposed to a sport that most people don't ever pay "serious attention" to?

Sure

On a separate but related note, I just learned that a fairly significant portion of the team (at least 5 that I could count) was not born nor did they grow up in the US and are dual citizens with English as a second language, including the coach!

This sport gets more bizarre every day.

On a separate but related note, I just learned that a fairly significant portion of the team (at least 5 that I could count) was not born nor did they grow up in the US and are dual citizens with English as a second language, including the coach!

This sport gets more bizarre every day.

Yeah the new coach who is German got several German players who qualify to play for the US as well to play for him on the US team. I think you tend to see that in all competitions where countries are represented such as the Olympics. There aren't enough world class players raised in the US yet to field a competitive team. You will see a lot of MLS players on the US roster which is simply not good enough. MLS is like a D-League at this point. You only play there if you are not good enough to play anywhere better, or if you are getting too old to stay in the better leagues.

There aren't enough American coaches of high enough quality to compete at the world level either. That's why they hired the German coach who is very good.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Wow! How can we even begin to have a conversation when your levels of comprehension is that of a 9 year old.

From your link, Soccer and Hockey were listed as the only two team sports.

I rate your comprehension levels that of a - nincompoop :doh::lol:

Did you not notice that ice hockey was rated ahead of the team sport you claimed required the best cardio stamina? And did you notice soccer wasn't even on the other list - but Aussie Rules Football was?

Perhaps, contrary to your opinion, soccer is not the team sport that requires the best cardio stamina...

And BTW, it's comprehension level. Singular. Not levels.

Look man, I'm not a soccer-hater; as I said upthread, I played it in high school. But some of the arguments in this thread are more than a little over the top.

Just a thought: Perhaps soccer fans would be better served following the lead of many hockey fans: Enthusiastically promote the sport to people who ask questions and seem interested but recognize a certain percentage of people just won't/don't/can't get into it.

Maybe it's because the culture of the sport is foreign to them, or maybe it's because they have no desire to learn it, or maybe they gave it a chance and decided they just don't like that particular sport. It's okay. But don't waste breath trying to convert the non-convertible.