What if American football used soccer-style rules?

But how were the Germans? Sucking wind or more fit?

The weather in Brazil now will certainly make fitness a key attribute to a teams success.

I'm not sure who was more fit.

I see your point. If I'm watching a sport with a ball and scoring points with said ball is the point of the game, then that's more important than seeing who's more fit IMHO If I want to watch an endurance event I can always watch a marathon.

It's just the way I was raised and the sports I like I guess, but I like to see scoring or at least trying to score if that's the point of the game. But I do like baseball and that's a low scoring game as well, so not sure how much the low scoring factors in. I don't like basketball because they score too much which is boring too IMHO.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure who was more fit.

I see your point. If I'm watching a sport with a ball and scoring points with said ball is the point of the game, then that's more important than seeing who's more fit IMHO If I want to watch an endurance event I can always watch a marathon.

It's just the way I was raised and the sports I like I guess, but I like to see scoring or at least trying to score if that's the point of the game. But I do like baseball and that's a low scoring game as well, so not sure how much the low scoring factors in. I don't like basketball because they score too much which is boring too IMHO.

Baseball is generally higher scoring than soccer I think. But it is so god awful slow. If a game is on TV, it is in the 7th inning, and tied or maybe a run difference I can watch. But 9 innings, good lord. But, going to a game with a group of friends on a nice day is fun. The game moves so slowly you can relax and have a good time with your friends and not miss anything.

I can watch the Bills (without commercials) but not football in general, i really enjoy hockey, soccer, and college basketball, and I can watch small doses of baseball. I must prefer constant activity, even if it isn't constant full speed action.

Edited by CodeMonkey

But I maintain that they are not. At the end of the game a lot of them are just standing or walking around when they need for speed and explosiveness is high. Again, I point to the Americans not even challenging the German defenders deep in their own end of the pitch at the end of the match down by a goal.

I don't think you can point to this game when the Germans were knocking the ball around at the end of the game to look to their fitness. The U.S is regarded to be one of the better fit teams in the tournament. The results regarding Portugal vs Ghana were coming in, and knowing that Portugal had the lead, there was no urgency to press them, considering that their spot was pretty much secured for qualifying themselves into the knock out stage. If this had been a knockout stage game, they certainly would have pressed much more towards the end, not to mention their whole game plan would have been different.

They played tentatively, almost if they were looking for the draw. Which certainly is not the best way this team plays, they are at their best when they are attacking.

Edited by Magox

Considering only two teams make it out of each group, and we were matched up against the #2 and #4 teams in the world along with Ghana a nemesis of ours who happened to knock us out of the last two world cups, it's a great accomplishment. But, yeah, the nerve that they would celebrate this accomplishment in public is terrible. Sheesh, just celebrate in private in the locker room, never mind the millions of fans that have been cheering you on, they don't want to see your stinking celebration!

Considering that they celebrate each goal as if they just won World War II, I can see how you would feel this way.

I don't think you can point to this game when the Germans were knocking the ball around at the end of the game to look to their fitness. The U.S is regarded to be one of the better fit teams in the tournament.

This was just one example. Of course I'm not basing this opinion on that one game. I'm basing it from watching many MLS game live and on TV. When it gets to the end of the game, the guys are gassed. Heaven forbid it should go to OT.

I must prefer constant activity, even if it isn't constant full speed action.

I have a theory/observation on this. The 2 most popular sports in America are baseball and football. In both of these sports there is some action and then some down time. We Americans like to know when something is going to happen so we can pay attention. In soccer something is always happening and you can tune out for minutes on end and not miss anything. So how is a fan to know what to pay attention to and what not? And goodness knows we have short attention spans already.

Edited by reddogblitz

Considering that they celebrate each goal as if they just won World War II, I can see how you would feel this way.

You are one miserable dude. No wonder many of the posters don't like you.

This was just one example. Of course I'm not basing this opinion on that one game. I'm basing it from watching many MLS game live and on TV. When it gets to the end of the game, the guys are gassed. Heaven forbid it should go to OT.

Yeah, fitness is a huge element of the game, almost as important as skill.

Did USA really get only one shot on goal? That is absolutely incredible in 90 minutes. How the heck do they think they will do it? I hope the rest helps. Will everybody get a trophy when they get knocked out? I hope they don't see Germany again. Or was the game plan to just play defense and hope to get lucky with a draw... It almost worked. Thank God Portugal & Ghana didn't light it up.

Then again, the weather right?

Yeah, I'm basically public enemy #1 around here............Funny, seems to be to those who get butthurt when you criticize their "beautiful game."............You have nothing to come back with, so you attack me personally.

But, you're right - these clownasses look professional when they celebrate more over one goal than the Spurs did after winning the world championship.

Yeah, I'm basically public enemy #1 around here............Funny, seems to be to those who get butthurt when you criticize their "beautiful game."............You have nothing to come back with, so you attack me personally.

But, you're right - these clownasses look professional when they celebrate more over one goal than the Spurs did after winning the world championship.

Don't sweat it bbb. Although it probably seems like it, it can't be personal. Magox has been personally attacking people as ignorant, miserable, etc... for a couple days. I guess being critical of soccer is something he/she just can't handle. I've been on that receiving end too.

Don't sweat it bbb. Although it probably seems like it, it can't be personal. Magox has been personally attacking people as ignorant, miserable, etc... for a couple days. I guess being critical of soccer is something he/she just can't handle. I've been on that receiving end too.

:thumbsup:

MLS is like watching d-league basketball or ahl hockey. Not "major" at all despite its name ;)

Dempsey's broken nose and Altidore's hammy certainly contributed.

They excluded injuries where guys had to get subbed so Altidore's would not have counted.

That's why baseball is our national pastime and ballplayers are working 6 days a week from April to October.

Baseball hasn't been our national pastime in a long long time.

He's not miserable. He's just Anne Coultering (successfully I might add since so many engage him on this topic). There are other people in the soccer threads who are miserable because they are being left out of the party.

Great accomplishment to get out of the hardest group. 2 top 5 teams in the world and Germany playing better than anyone by far right now. And Ghana showed everyone their class as well--they deserve a lot of credit for their performances.

The US may lose to Belgium but I have more confidence in our ability to beat them than I did any of the first 3 teams.

MLS is like watching d-league basketball or ahl hockey. Not "major" at all despite its name ;)

This may be true. Not sure. I don't hate soccer, I'm just into it that much. However I see all of the things I don't like about MLS soccer in the WC as well. Flopping. Faking injuries. Guys running around dead legged late in the game. The only difference I've noticed is that the goalies don't just punt or place kick the ball as far as they can after a save. They pass it to one of the defenders instead.

What if NFL teams could only substitute 2 players for the whole game and the guy that came out can't go back in?

This is one rule in soccer that could make the game more exciting for us Yanks. Allow unlimited substitution. It gets to the end of the game when a team really needs a goal and the guys are all gassed because they played the whole game. How about if coach pulled Dempsey for a blow for 20 minutes in second half? Then he comes in in crunch time with fresh legs instead of sleep walking?

I've seen many MLS games and some world cup games and it looks to me like at the end of the game the guys are just too pooped to pop, USA was down one goal and Germany got ball deep in their own end and USA guys aren't even challenging. Walking around trying to breathe.

Allowing freer substitution would a great improvement IMHO.

Welcome to part of the cat-and-mouse game. Deciding how to husband your endurance is part of the strategy of the game. Playing a ball control game and making the other team chase, is part of the strategy of the game. Having the guts to tough it out when your body hurts from fatigue is part of the game (and not a part of some other games). Picking on an opponent who looks tired- that's part of the game. Testing the speed of the defense, once they are tired (not only when they are fresh) is part of the game. Taking care of your substitutions to put in fresh players (at what position?) is part of the strategy of the game. There aspects is why you don't see the big fat boys out there or even bigger players. It also gives a role for smaller guys with good endurance.

Thanks for the clarification. I played in the Seattle Sounders FC band one year and I thought it was 2. Maybe it is in MLS, not sure. Anyway, thanks again for straightening me out on that.

But I maintain that they are not. At the end of the game a lot of them are just standing or walking around when they need for speed and explosiveness is high. Again, I point to the Americans not even challenging the German defenders deep in their own end of the pitch at the end of the match down by a goal.

It's a different kind of game and I get that. But allowing more guys to sub in would make it more exciting IMHO. Watching guys totally gassed out at the end of the game is not exciting IMHO. I don't hate it, but I don't think its a "beautiful game" either.

My rule "for Americans" would be no offside rule at all. As that rule has been beaten up on this thread a lot anyway, I just decided to bring one up that hadn't been discussed as of yet.

It is not a soccer game if you take that rule out. You would probably have one attacking player always standing on the goal line and two standing just wide of the goal to tap in the ball. (cherry picking). The game would become: get the ball at midfield and kick long high balls into the goal area. It would be a different game. Sorta like baseball if you made the distance from home to first base 100 feet or 80 feet. You would upset the balance between how fast the baseball is hit and thrown and the chances of getting the batter-runner out at first base. It would become a different game that you would not recognize.