What if American football used soccer-style rules?

Sun, July 13, 3:00 PM on ABC.

No more so than the strain of maintaining the air of an aficionado of tackle football.

If that was true, neither of us would be here....

Anyway, soccer in this country is popular mainly because it is a popular youth sport--- it is very easily played by kids at any skill level. As a spectator sport, in this country it is right up there with downhill skiing or swimming--the American (US) sports fan may get pumped up to watch it in earnest every 4 years, but that's about it.

Come training camp, no one will care about soccer until 2018.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, soccer in this country is popular mainly because it is a popular youth sport--- it is very easily played by kids at any skill level. As a spectator sport, in this country it is right up there with downhill skiing or swimming--the American (US) sports fan may get pumped up to watch it in earnest every 4 years, but that's about it.

Amazing to me the lack of knowledge about the real football on this board. It is not just the World Cup that attracts real fans. There are the Euros, the Champions League, The Gold Cup for example. There are many other events over the course of the next four years that people will want to watch. Only those ignorant of the sport think that it's only major event is the World Cup. People on this board need to crawl back into their little holes and wait for American football to start so they can once again ignore the rest of the world and remain ignorant Americans.

"As a spectator sport....." I don't know for sure, but you might think about this for a while. I live in Maryland. There are 24 counties in Maryland. Just for grins, I looked up Charles county (a semi-rural county stuck out at the lower end of the state) for its county soccer program. There are 6 youth soccer associations and each has maybe 700 players. Thats around 4,000 players. They probably play about 20 games a year (counting spring and fall season). So that is 4000 players x 20 games = 80,000 player-games a year. If each kid has 1.5 parents there watching, you are talking about ?? ~ a tenth of a million spectators at games a year. That is not counting high school games, adult leagues travel teams (which have a lot of teams but around here is regional with DC and Virginia) and FIFFA adult leagues. So you are talking about 0.15 million spectators a year from that one medium sized county. Maybe 1.5 to 4 million spectators a year from one state. The Ravens have 71K seats in M&T stadium and play no more than (dig intended) 8 home games a year. With sell-outs that's about half a million spectators a year.

You seem to be forgetting that soccer pulls from the entire population and not just from the football fans that you hang around with. You might also consider that the demographics of the country are changing and ~17% is Hispanic, where soccer is very popular.

All true, at least for the moment except for the last line. The same amount of people care, even in the US. You just won't have to hear about it nearly as much.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Amazing to me the lack of knowledge about the real football on this board. It is not just the World Cup that attracts real fans. There are the Euros, the Champions League, The Gold Cup for example. There are many other events over the course of the next four years that people will want to watch. Only those ignorant of the sport think that it's only major event is the World Cup. People on this board need to crawl back into their little holes and wait for American football to start so they can once again ignore the rest of the world and remain ignorant Americans.

You realize this is a Buffalo Bills football board, right? Where people come to discuss football, the Bills, and things related to that. I'm sure you can find a .fr or .it where soccer boards are more common.

It's not that great of a sport no matter how much of a mystique people try to give it. It's simple, slow, and acting hurt is part of the game.

You realize this is a Buffalo Bills football board, right? Where people come to discuss football, the Bills, and things related to that. I'm sure you can find a .fr or .it where soccer boards are more common.

It's not that great of a sport no matter how much of a mystique people try to give it. It's simple, slow, and acting hurt is part of the game.

You are right of course in that this is a Bills fan board and most are not just Bills fans, but tackle football fans in general.

What's humorous, at least to me though, is when someone who is a fan of tackle football calls another sport "slow". :)

:P

The worst part of the World Cup is the morons who know nothing about the game and act like they do.

Having played soccer, I thought part of the attraction was its simplicity.

You are right of course in that this is a Bills fan board and most are not just Bills fans, but tackle football fans in general.

What's humorous, at least to me though, is when someone who is a fan of tackle football calls another sport "slow". :)

Good point. Football, baseball, and soccer do tend to have people just sorta standing around an awful lot.

Edited by Campy

Yes, it must be American sports fan ignorance that forces you to satisfy your soccer jones by being relegated (see? a soccer word!) to watching European pro soccer on satellite TV.

Sorry, it's a simple fact that in this country, soccer is only followed nationally during the world cup. Perhaps that is because we have other signifcant pro sports options to enjoy watching. In most of the "soccer mad" countries that you envy, it's pretty much the only pro sport they can watch, so I would say they were the more "ignorant" (bless them, though) pro sports fans.

All true, at least for the moment except for the last line. The same amount of people care, even in the US. You just won't have to hear about it nearly as much.

Well, yes....

Um....let me give it a try...

Since soccer players are not sprinting for more than a 4-5 seconds at a time, how fast you can run in those couple seconds is pretty important. Also, since there is ample 'down' time between prolonged sprinting, how many miles you have to run isn't really too relevant.

Just another soccer Red Herring though

Yes. Yes it is. Are you really implying that neither football players or basketball players get fatigued? Why do we see WRs and DBs subbing out between plays even after they sat on their asses for half the game? Why aren't Kobe, LeBron and Durant playing the whole game if your assertion is true? LeBron doesn't run nearly as much as an average soccer player in a game that lasts 45 minutes. Football 11 minutes of action, 1.25 miles run on average, over 3 hours. Lets compare that to 7 miles over ~105 minutes. Just another red herring.

http://gizmodo.com/5...ifferent-sports

Edited by Jauronimo

That's just a lame argument, as from a spectators point of view there is plenty of action pre-snap (seeing tactic versus tactic).

umm, no it's not. That is the common criticism overseas about American Football, is the lack of action and fluidity. I always trying explaining to my South American friends the nuances of the game, and the amazing athleticism and strength, the strategy behind blocking and defense, but they just think it's a bunch of big guys ramming into each other, they find it to be horrendously boring. Sorta like talking to some of you guys about soccer.

Oh well, each side misses out on what I consider to be the two best sports in the world.

Edited by Magox

Yes. Yes it is. Are you really implying that neither football players or basketball players get fatigued? Why do we see WRs and DBs subbing out between plays even after they sat on their asses for half the game? Why aren't Kobe, LeBron and Durant playing the whole game if your assertion is true? LeBron doesn't run nearly as much as an average soccer player in a game that lasts 45 minutes. Football 11 minutes of action, 1.25 miles run on average, over 3 hours. Lets compare that to 7 miles over ~105 minutes. Just another red herring.

http://gizmodo.com/5...ifferent-sports

7 miles over 105 minutes is a 15 minute mile. That's not exactly exhausting. Especially when you get a break at halftime.

Edited by dubs

. Perhaps that is because we have other signifcant pro sports options to enjoy watching. In most of the "soccer mad" countries that you envy, it's pretty much the only pro sport they can watch, so I would say they were the more "ignorant" (bless them, though) pro sports fans.

Bless your little soul

7 miles over 105 minutes is a 15 minute mile. That's not exactly exhausting.

Are you serious? :lol:

Anyone notice that the guy who got bitten yesterday was still aware enough to flop after the bite?

Soccer does have entertainment value.

As does the drivel you post

And you can repeat this till your blue in the face and it will never change the fact that it will always be a game faster, more fluid and entertaining than American Football in the eyes of most sports fans.

Are you serious? :lol:

About what? The mile pace? Yes.

People are making the claim that guys like LeBron James and Calvin Johnson couldn't hold up for an entire grueling soccer match. It was said that these soccer players run 7 miles over the course of 105 minutes with a break in the middle. That's a 15 minute mile pace which is honestly very slow. To suggest that the guys we talked about couldn't do that is funny.

Define played at any level?

Have you ever had your kids play in a soccer league?

Mine did and I will tell you ... some of those kids are clueless.

7 miles over 105 minutes is a 15 minute mile. That's not exactly exhausting. Especially when you get a break at halftime.

And yet football players and basketball players who don't run nearly as much over longer periods of total game time can't play the whole !@#$ing game. So what was your argument again???

About what? The mile pace? Yes.

People are making the claim that guys like LeBron James and Calvin Johnson couldn't hold up for an entire grueling soccer match. It was said that these soccer players run 7 miles over the course of 105 minutes with a break in the middle. That's a 15 minute mile pace which is honestly very slow. To suggest that the guys we talked about couldn't do that is funny.

Then why don't they? Why don't they play complete games?