What if American football used soccer-style rules?

When is the World Cup Super Bowl anyway? Then all the soccer super fans can go back to ignoring the sport like the rest of us for another 4 years.

The strain of maintaining the air of an afficianado of this sport must be incredible for these guys....soccer cicadas!

Sun, July 13, 3:00 PM on ABC.

No more so than the strain of maintaining the air of an aficionado of tackle football.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sun, July 13, 3:00 PM on ABC.

No more so than the strain of maintaining the air of an aficionado of tackle football.

BS. American football fans don't spend 75% of their breath telling you how great the game is.

When is the World Cup Super Bowl anyway? Then all the soccer super fans can go back to ignoring the sport like the rest of us for another 4 years.

The strain of maintaining the air of an afficianado of this sport must be incredible for these guys....soccer cicadas!

Even when the World Cup is over I'll still question the validity of projecting 40 yard dash times over 7-10 miles.

BS. American football fans don't spend 75% of their breath telling you how great the game is.

How many threads per year do soccer fans start telling you why american football is asinine and you should stop watching?

Lebron, Megatron and Graham aren't the best at their sports? Maybe you know only about soccer?

Kevin Durant was the MVP of the NBA, Peyton Manning won in the NFL and Jimmy Graham wasn't even in the mix. I watch and follow almost all sports and have a love of each for their uniqueness. My feeling is that most on this board do not understand the sport they call soccer and that is a shame. Nothing wrong with being passionate about whatever sport you enjoy playing or watching. They are all great games in their own way.

Kevin Durant was the MVP of the NBA, Peyton Manning won in the NFL and Jimmy Graham wasn't even in the mix. I watch and follow almost all sports and have a love of each for their uniqueness. My feeling is that most on this board do not understand the sport they call soccer and that is a shame. Nothing wrong with being passionate about whatever sport you enjoy playing or watching. They are all great games in their own way.

Bingo.

Even when the World Cup is over I'll still question the validity of projecting 40 yard dash times over 7-10 miles.

How many threads per year do soccer fans start telling you why american football is asinine and you should stop watching?

Um....let me give it a try...

Since soccer players are not sprinting for more than a 4-5 seconds at a time, how fast you can run in those couple seconds is pretty important. Also, since there is ample 'down' time between prolonged sprinting, how many miles you have to run isn't really too relevant.

Just another soccer Red Herring though

Damn, I was just going to say it was a red hair ring!

If you think anybody would take Durant over Lebron, you're crazy.

Megatron is the best receiver.

Graham is the best tight end. (If Gronk isn't healthy)

You can't compare to quarterbacks. Football is too specialized.

Should be an interesting bidding war now that he is opting out of Miami.

Just to be clear, I don't hate soccer. It's a decent sport and every 4 years it's kind of cool to watch the world come together to play. Mostly I love the way other, smaller nations get behind their teams. Soccer is intertwined in their culture and because of that, I think it's pretty interesting to watch.

Aside from the fact that I think it's lower tier athletes from the US playing, my real frustration is the hipster, social phenomenon/ESPN's vested interest shoving it down our throats that's pretty annoying. There was a great article in the Journal about American fans that pretty much captures my thoughts:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/why-i-hate-american-soccer-fans-1402012291?mobile=y

Just to be clear, I don't hate soccer. It's a decent sport and every 4 years it's kind of cool to watch the world come together to play. Mostly I love the way other, smaller nations get behind their teams. Soccer is intertwined in their culture and because of that, I think it's pretty interesting to watch.

Aside from the fact that I think it's lower tier athletes from the US playing, my real frustration is the hipster, social phenomenon/ESPN's vested interest shoving it down our throats that's pretty annoying. There was a great article in the Journal about American fans that pretty much captures my thoughts:

http://m.us.wsj.com/...012291?mobile=y

That's what is annoying to me. The ESPN part the most...................I wonder if Colin Cowherd will not even talk about the championship game the day after the game, like he did in 2010.

I shared that great article earlier. I enjoy seeing it again!

Should be an interesting bidding war now that he is opting out of Miami.

I am dying for him to come back to Cleveland. I root for that city in everything, except when they play the Bills - because I feel we are kindred spirits sharing the same lake and history.

http://m.us.wsj.com/...012291?mobile=y

I realize that is largely tongue in cheek, but I think the reason so many in NYC seem to support Arsenal is because YES (the NY Yankee network) must have some kind of contract with that team as they show a lot of games as well as broadcast (over and over it seems) shows about the team. So pretty much in NYC any Yankee fan who happens to follow soccer as well is likely to support Arsenal.

I am dying for him to come back to Cleveland. I root for that city in everything, except when they play the Bills - because I feel we are kindred spirits sharing the same lake and history.

He might, I believe he is from around there somewhere, right? But will Cavs fans want him back? They were, and still pretty much are, pretty pissed at him.

Edited by CodeMonkey

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I'll admit that I hate soccer, but I have a serious question for those who are defending soccer. I do find soccer boring. But when the Blizzard were here, and played the indoor game, that was fun. It was high action, fast paced, and high scoring. Similar to watching hockey. Why did the sport not catch on?

I'll admit that I hate soccer, but I have a serious question for those who are defending soccer. I do find soccer boring. But when the Blizzard were here, and played the indoor game, that was fun. It was high action, fast paced, and high scoring. Similar to watching hockey. Why did the sport not catch on?

Indoor soccer is like Arena Football, Indoor Lacrosse. It's an amusing distraction but not the real game.