Marshawn considering retirement?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a bad idea to hold out for a new contract when you have a pending DUI and the Seahawks drafted a RB in the 2nd rd last year. He is currently the 5th highest player on the team, I believe.

FYI: DUI has been settled.

Mash Here

It's too bad if his career fizzles over a contracr dispute. He's a throwback player thats fun to watch, and an entertaining character.

I wonder if he will sign a 1 day contract & retire as a Bill ?? :w00t:

This Marshawn person is spoke about in Bills Forum like he was a Legend here. Fact is, he was outplayed by Fred Jackson and had run ins with the law in Buffalo.

Time to let go of the past. He was a douche here. Was a douche last year with Superbowl media. Had 35 yards in Superbowl. Didnt go with TEAM at White House.

CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS VERY TALENTED PLAYER WHO IS A POS!

Following news that he now plans to skip mandatory Seahawks minicamp, after not attending OTAs, because he wants more money....

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 48m

Marshawn Lynch told 2 teammates last year he might retire if Seattle won the Super Bowl. They did. Asked a source, could he walk? “He could”

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 43m

#Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch has saved his money earned in @NFL. His retirement thought is real. “I could see him walking away,” source says.

He ain't walking he just wants more money, which he will probably be broke after he retires.

Robert Smith. Jim Brown. Barry Sanders. Sandy Koufax.

That's about the total number of players who actually retired right in their prime because they opted to rather than were on their way out. So in about 50-60 years there were maybe 4-5. You could argue a few more who were still good, like Elway, or Steffi Graf and Borg kinda did it in tennis. Marciano in boxing. I'm sure there was a soccer player. But in major team sports, it rarely, rarely, rarely happens.

That is the most inexhaustive list I've ever seen. Tons more.

The first that comes to mind is Brad Butler. You could make the argument for Schoebel too.

Seems like a contract ploy. Nothing more.

I don't know.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I agree just a contract ploy. He wasn't complaining when two years ago when he DK have a pending DUI, he was given a contract with $17 mil guaranteed, and an avg over $5 mil / yr. He has two years left on his deal, and paid in the upper tier for RB's.

If he played out his contract , he would be 30 and feels this is his last shot at another deal. He is a good player, but his nasty style of running usually leads to RB's breaking down by 30. If I were the GM for the Seahawks, I would to placate him convert some of the current deal into more guaranteed money, but not extend him. They'll get him much cheaper after 30. They also drafted his replacement which will be cheaper based on rookie deals, and a line set up for a decent RB to succeed.

Based on the way he communicates or not to the media, he just comes across like a thug. I don't know that for sure, but I don't care for him. Juxtapose him to AP, who is such high character, and a role model for kids.

He's had some allegedly nasty back issues - it may be wise for such a physical guy to walk away while he can still walk

His running style is abusive, kinda like Earl Campbell's, but with a fraction of the results. Campbell's career effectively ended following the season in which he was 28, which would be this season for Lynch, but Lynch started playing when he was two years younger.

If these players have millions there are easier ways to continue to make money when you have it.

It's so easy to save money when you bring your own Hennessy to the bar.

Didn't he have an incident where he took $20 from some random women too? There's another way to save some cash.

This Marshawn person is spoke about in Bills Forum like he was a Legend here. Fact is, he was outplayed by Fred Jackson and had run ins with the law in Buffalo.

Time to let go of the past. He was a douche here. Was a douche last year with Superbowl media. Had 35 yards in Superbowl. Didnt go with TEAM at White House.

CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS VERY TALENTED PLAYER WHO IS A POS!

He's overated. He had one great season two seasons ago. Other than that one season he hasn't been much better than McGahee. He was outplayed by Fred Jackson, who's time he stole because they drafted him in the 1st round, one of Jauron's legacies.

Edited by TaskersGhost

He's overated. He had one great season two seasons ago. Other than that one season he hasn't been much better than McGahee. He was outplayed by Fred Jackson, who's time he stole because they drafted him in the 1st round, one of Jauron's legacies.

Starting in his first full season in Seattle, he's been excellent. He finished 7th in the league in rushing yards in 2011, 3rd in 2012, and 6th in 2013. McGahee topped 1,000 yards once in that time frame...so yes, he's been much better than McGahee. Lynch has also finished with 12 TDs (tied for 3rd in the NFL), 11 (tied for 5th), and 12 (1st) in those 3 seasons, respectively.

In other words, you're really stretching to say that he's overrated. He's easily been one of the best backs in the NFL, and that's without considering how atrocious Seattle's OL was last year.

The first that comes to mind is Brad Butler. You could make the argument for Schoebel too.

The amount of fans who think that Butler was a high quality player has always fascinated me. I think that he was a so-so player who was hampered by injuries. His production was minimal.

Schobel otoh is frequently underrated but even at that, he doesn't belong on any list that includes Jim Brown and Sandy Koufax, nor does Lynch.

Jmo.

He's had a few health issues, he doesn't like the spotlight... I could see it. I wouldn't blame him, at all, especially if he's gotten what he wants out of the game (money in the bank, and a championship).

He might not retire this year, but I could see him playing out his contract and walking off into the sunset.

Starting in his first full season in Seattle, he's been excellent. He finished 7th in the league in rushing yards in 2011, 3rd in 2012, and 6th in 2013. McGahee topped 1,000 yards once in that time frame...so yes, he's been much better than McGahee. Lynch has also finished with 12 TDs (tied for 3rd in the NFL), 11 (tied for 5th), and 12 (1st) in those 3 seasons, respectively.

In other words, you're really stretching to say that he's overrated. He's easily been one of the best backs in the NFL, and that's without considering how atrocious Seattle's OL was last year.

Lynch may not be flashy, but he's always been a reliable work horse. Someone you can pound all game with. He doesn't break a huge amount of tackles at the line, but churns his legs in the second level and can wear a defense down/help control the clock. I've always admired the way he plays/runs.

Edited by Dorkington

He's had a few health issues, he doesn't like the spotlight... I could see it. I wouldn't blame him, at all, especially if he's gotten what he wants out of the game (money in the bank, and a championship).

He might not retire this year, but I could see him playing out his contract and walking off into the sunset.

Lynch may not be flashy, but he's always been a reliable work horse. Someone you can pound all game with. He doesn't break a huge amount of tackles at the line, but churns his legs in the second level and can wear a defense down/help control the clock. I've always admired the way he plays/runs.

As someone who has watched every down of Hawks football for the past 12 seasons, this is a very good assessment of Marshawn. He has been a driving force behind the Hawks offense, got the hard yards when they needed them and hit the opposing D hard every time he's in the game. As much as we all love Freddie, Marshawn would have been awesome for the Bills, especially when our line was strong a few years back. I'm not 100% certain on this, as I don't personally know the man, but I feel like he may have some anxiety issues. He hates getting in front of the mic and the Super Bowl media drama came as no surprise to Hawks fans. He avoids all of the team parties and is rarely seen in public in Seattle, unlike all the other high profile Seahawks.

This. Since 2011, Lynch has scored more TDs than any other player (39) and has had more 100-yard rushing games than any other RB (19).

Other than that, though, he's TOTALLY overrated. :rolleyes:

As someone who has watched every down of Hawks football for the past 12 seasons, this is a very good assessment of Marshawn. He has been a driving force behind the Hawks offense, got the hard yards when they needed them and hit the opposing D hard every time he's in the game. As much as we all love Freddie, Marshawn would have been awesome for the Bills, especially when our line was strong a few years back. I'm not 100% certain on this, as I don't personally know the man, but I feel like he may have some anxiety issues. He hates getting in front of the mic and the Super Bowl media drama came as no surprise to Hawks fans. He avoids all of the team parties and is rarely seen in public in Seattle, unlike all the other high profile Seahawks.

Ricky Williams-ish?

I, of course, meant name players. Stars.

Schobel was still a very good player. He still could have played a year or two at a pretty high level. But he didn't quit in the middle of his prime. When you play nine years or whatever that is not the same thing.

I'm talking about someone who is right in his prime. Is a star. And walks away out of nowhere. If Butler were a star he would have been on the list. There are a certain number of guys like him that walk away because they simply don't want to put up with the pain or whatever.

Mendenhall quit because he couldn't run anymore. I know you didn't list him but someone did. Guys who got hurt don't count.

the $20 is baaaaackkk!!!! I always thought the most hilarious thread here was the oone where people made up a bunch of stories about him stealing there $20...

true story, I was walking in downtown seattle the other day and as I went to pay for a coffee a $20 fell out of my wallet, I went to pick it up when an oversized Nike shoe in green and blue seattle colors suddenly appeared and STEPPED on it! I looked up and saw a man with dreaded hair and some gold teeth looking at me with a smile. He said, "Seattle aint done paid me yet, ima need that twenty dollars" he then stiff armed me and ran off in sort of a bow-legged gait.