let's say you had to get 44 young adults across the Rainbow bridge

jester43

Hypothetically speaking...

I might be traveling to/from the Canadian falls with 44 or so healthy energetic young adults. Would it be quicker and easier to drop off from a charter bus on the American side and walk across the Rainbow Bridge, or suck it up and try to get the whole bunch of us through customs on the bus?

I haven't been in Canada since the passport requirement kicked in so I don't know how much more complicated it is now to get over and back than it was 8-10 years ago. I know everyone needs a passport, and that's about it.

It is a day trip. So it would be nice if we could get back in the country with minimal misery at the end of the day as well. And we'd be going in October.

Any advice/opinions on how best to do this from my border-hopping Bills brethren?

Well, first you have to go through the alligator forest and then you have to solve the grumpy old troll's riddle.

Oh wait, sorry. I have a three year old daughter. I've been watching way too much Dora.

What the !@#$ do I have to do with this? :angry:

I've done the bus across the border bit (Megabus) for the first pre-season game in the Toronto series years ago. Since it's a charter, and not just anyone with $10 looking for a cheap bus seat, it should be a little easier. But....

1) Entering Canada, everyone had to get off the bus, with all our luggage (nothing could be left on board) and everyone was separately interviewed by a customs agent. Of course there's always that one dumbass that customs has to question more and we had to wait for them. Took approx 1 hour from when we pulled up to the gate till when we left.

2) Entering the US, same procedure, but we had to wait our turn as their were two other buses ahead of us. And this time two dumbasses being detained. And two girls were overheard making a rude comment about one of the agents so they got a verbal beatdown in front of everyone. Took approx 3 hours from when we pulled up till the bus driver said "screw those two guys, they can find their own way back".

So a charter bus, if everyone behaves and has the proper paperwork might be easy.

Behavior won't be a problem, but what you are describing is sort of what I am trying to avoid. I realize there may be no way out of it, but we'd like to avoid spending 1-2 hours each way on customs. I was thinking walking across the bridge might be faster...but was hoping for an expert opinion.

They will let you in Canada withOUT a passport... Just getting back into the US they tend to get a little snarky. Put that little bit of trouble in the back of your mind, you'll have a blast in Canada and you can worry about getting back later. LoL...

This is what happened to us:

Just drive into the Duty Free parking lot. You can't get out (spikes on the road) without crossing the border. They will let you in no problem into Duty Free. Then Canada... They want you to spend your money there. Then when it is time to come back... What they won't let you back into your own country??

Oh... Just make sure you have ID (easier) and then when they ask why you don't have a passport, say the Canadian Customs officer never asked. Actually, they wouldn't have asked for the passport if you get into Canada. Worst is they send you back why first trying to cross.

Deflect blame and say: "They let me in. I didn't know, they didn't ask for passports, I accidently went into Duty Free." LoL... Play dumb to the stupid passport rules. Which for me is easy... To play dumb that is. ;-) ;-)

EDIT: Don't make a habit out of this. It's probably a one-time deal, one-time license plate thing... Or expect the strip search and trashed vehicle.

;-)

Can't offer any advice except for when I came up for

the last home opener vs MIA and went over to the Canadian

side,the guy at the toll booth was more than happy to

clear Aussiew and I back to the US when we told him

Arlington was in between Dallas and Fort Worth. His reply

was "no wonder we lost"( because I was from the Dallas area)

"hurry home soon"

Perhaps the group should become residents of Dallas

to speed their reentry.

Just getting back into the US they tend to get a little snarky.

That used to be the case. Now you can get in real easily. Just show up and say "Have you seen my cousin, Pedro?"

Based on current events, this will not only get you in quickly, but they'll give you a phone, an EBT card, and free bus ride to Arizona!

Behavior won't be a problem, but what you are describing is sort of what I am trying to avoid. I realize there may be no way out of it, but we'd like to avoid spending 1-2 hours each way on customs. I was thinking walking across the bridge might be faster...but was hoping for an expert opinion.

:lol: your user name is very appropriate!

That used to be the case. Now you can get in real easily. Just show up and say "Have you seen my cousin, Pedro?"

Based on current events, this will not only get you in quickly, but they'll give you a phone, an EBT card, and free bus ride to Arizona!

ROTFLMAO! :worthy: :worthy:

"Honey... We are turning around, they forgot to give us an EBT card!" :D

Just tell them that the full bus load is looking to attend the ballet.

I would just coach them all about answering questions directly, honestly and pleasantly and make sure they all have passports before you get there. The same possibility of getting hung up at entry exists whether you walk or ride across. I would suggest that you also be the first in line and just tell the agent that you have coached them all to behave and be responsive to questions but you are happy to intercede with anyone who does otherwise.

Hypothetically speaking...

I might be traveling to/from the Canadian falls with 44 or so healthy energetic young adults. Would it be quicker and easier to drop off from a charter bus on the American side and walk across the Rainbow Bridge, or suck it up and try to get the whole bunch of us through customs on the bus?

I haven't been in Canada since the passport requirement kicked in so I don't know how much more complicated it is now to get over and back than it was 8-10 years ago. I know everyone needs a passport, and that's about it.

It is a day trip. So it would be nice if we could get back in the country with minimal misery at the end of the day as well. And we'd be going in October.

Any advice/opinions on how best to do this from my border-hopping Bills brethren?

I can't offer a lot. They have some type of ID like a drivers license that allows you to cross into Canada w/o having to get a passport.

Documentation you need to cross the border

http://www.ezborderc...r/#.U5sWEyiJa8A

Your group can wait on a bus to cross into Canada, or spend how 15 to 30 crossing the bridge on foot and then dealing with Customs. the bus should also have AC.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever