Pegula sells land for $1.75 Billion, Will Bid on Bills!

I've enjoyed my time on Sabrespace and TBD. The debates on a variety of sports related material over that time has been very entertaining and, in some cases, actually constructive for one's sanity as a Buffalo sports fan.

With that said, there will always be real skeptics, and hey, rightfully so. The area has been devoid of real leadership for so long that when the time arrives where it shows up it's almost hard to believe for most below the age of 50 that grew up here. I can relate to that just as most can.

But in the end, whether you hold skepticism or optimism, I'd like to make it perfectly clear, change is coming to WNY, and it's for the better. As I stated earlier, these sports franchises are just one aspect of that change, but no less important to the over all objectives of that change. There are now events in motion and things in play that this area wouldn't dare dream about over the past 40 years, only memories of Mom and Dad or Grandma and Grandpa's stories of era's long since past.

There is some coordination of these efforts. If you believe this is power brokers working continuously on their own and getting nowhere with frustration, you are wrong. The wheels have been turning, and now appear poised to use the Buffalo Bills to benefit the beloved community that has shown nothing short of impassioned loyalty.

Just a fan speculating ;)

I love your posts!

Buffalo and WNY in general has taken so many body shots over the years.... We need this one to go our way!

Edited by TheFunPolice

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I just hopped over to BBMB to see what they are saying over there. What a waste of time that was. The conversation over here is eons ahead of that place.

I noticed that too... that board has been dead for years now IMO

It seems like far more people post here. I could be wrong, though.

I lived in Phoenix when the owner of the Suns, Jerry Colangelo, literally, single-handedly, revived the entire downtown area, which is now bustling. It was dying a slow death before he came in and started with the arena being built downtown, and then a couple restaurants, then a few other businesses, and then boom. Granted, Phoenix isn't Buffalo, but at the time, everywhere was booming around the outskirts and suburbs of the city, and the neighboring cities of Scottsdale and Tempe, and absolutely zero was happening in downtown.

One guy changed all that, and Pegula could do it in Buffalo.

From the way Tony Kornheiser talks, that is what happened in DC as well when they built the MCI, now Verizon, Center. I believe Ted Leonsis is who gives credit to.

I've enjoyed my time on Sabrespace and TBD. The debates on a variety of sports related material over that time has been very entertaining and, in some cases, actually constructive for one's sanity as a Buffalo sports fan.

With that said, there will always be real skeptics, and hey, rightfully so. The area has been devoid of real leadership for so long that when the time arrives where it shows up it's almost hard to believe for most below the age of 50 that grew up here. I can relate to that just as most can.

But in the end, whether you hold skepticism or optimism, I'd like to make it perfectly clear, change is coming to WNY, and it's for the better. As I stated earlier, these sports franchises are just one aspect of that change, but no less important to the over all objectives of that change. There are now events in motion and things in play that this area wouldn't dare dream about over the past 40 years, only memories of Mom and Dad or Grandma and Grandpa's stories of era's long since past.

There is some coordination of these efforts. If you believe this is power brokers working continuously on their own and getting nowhere with frustration, you are wrong. The wheels have been turning, and now appear poised to use the Buffalo Bills to benefit the beloved community that has shown nothing short of impassioned loyalty.

well said post. Agree 100%. Those tha think Biffalo is still the same ole, same ole will be ok for an awakening within 10-20 years. Were on the largest supply of fresh water on the planet. It'll happen sooner than later.

You're Richie Sambora, aren't you?

I love your posts!

Buffalo and WNY in general has taken so many body shots over the years.... We need this one to go our way!

well said post. Agree 100%. Those tha think Biffalo is still the same ole, same ole will be ok for an awakening within 10-20 years. Were on the largest supply of fresh water on the planet. It'll happen sooner than later.

You're Richie Sambora, aren't you?

It feels good to feel good, doesn't it? The WNY area has been asked to give, and we did, at the office, for 40 years we gave.

Now, we will be asked to give again, in our skill sets, our determination to see the rebirth of the area through to the end.

As I said, there is much more here than meets the eye. This isn't just about the Sabres or Bills.

There is true leadership forming with the financial backing to bring in more financial backing. There are projects on the table, quietly sitting, waiting for their turn at the table. As more development comes into play, these projects will fall in their rightful place in line, and this isn't just for Buffalo, Niagara Falls is involved as well.There is a plan, loosely coordinated, jobs, increased standards of living, longevity for both old and new era industries are just some of the items that I know for a fact have been discussed behind closed doors.

So much this area is going to see, so many opportunities will come. It will take time, Rome wasn't built in day, but, this area has the infrastructure, it now has a coalition of leadership forming. From roughly 2010/2011 on, this area is going to see growth, slow at first, but accelerating as projects come to completion so others can begin.

Just speculating ;)

Inspirational song and very fitting for this area at the time. Some may not like it, but the Goo Goo Dolls are us, WNY is in there blood and they know full well what WNY has gone through. With that being said, not a fan of their music, but, I have to say again, that song was and will be forever linked to who, what, WNY is.

I love it. It was so great before every playoff game in 2007:

well, that all depends on the amenities the facility has. Are we hosting concerts in the summer? Different shows? Sporting events?

And wasn't your argument that it should not be a dome. That it needs a roof? Why are you arguing with me on this?

My argument is stadiums no longer have domes, they either have roofs or roofs that retract. A dome is fabric, held up by air and they are all obsolete. Lucas Stadium and Ford field both have roofs that don't retract.

My argument is stadiums no longer have domes, they either have roofs or roofs that retract. A dome is fabric, held up by air and they are all obsolete. Lucas Stadium and Ford field both have roofs that don't retract.

Lucas Oil Stadium's roof is retractable.

Lucas Oil Stadium has a retractable roof designed by Uni-Systems that, like the Veltins-Arena, divides lengthwise into two retractable panels, with each half sliding down the sloping roof of the stadium into the open position.

You are right about Ford Field.

Man, I just hopped over to BBMB to see what they are saying over there. What a waste of time that was. The conversation over here is eons ahead of that place.

TBD is the best Bills forum out there.

Lighten up, Francis. Obviously you know what they mean.

Also, Im pretty sure the SuperDome isnt fabric, but a steel frame and decking covered with rubberized foam. I could be wrong.

Obsolete NFL Domes

Hoosier Dome - Replaced

Georgia Dome - Being Replaced

Metrodome- Being Replaced

Edward Jones Dome - Obsolete, Rams are threatening to move.

Silverdome - Replaced

King Dome - Replaced

Non Obsolete Dome - Made of concrete

Superdome, that is it.

All other new stadiums have roofs. Retractable or not, but they are not domes.

Sorry, but seeing the word dome instead of roof is like seeing the word seen as in, I seen that new domed stadium, makes me want to poke my eyes out.

Edited by ET1062

Domess with Fabric.

Hoosier Dome - Replaced

Georgia Dome - Being Replaced

Metrodome- Being Replaced

Edward Jones Dome - Obsolete, Rams are threatening to move.

Silverdome - Replaced

King Dome - Replaced

Domes without Fabric

Superdome, that is it.

All other new stadiums have roofs. Retractable or not, but they are not domes.

Sorry, but seeing the word dome instead of roof is like seeing the word seen as in, I seen that new domed stadium, makes me want to poke my eyes out.

Tropicana Field: fabric dome held up by truss system.

Tropicana_Field_Catwalks.JPG

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Who is his daughter, Veruca Salt?

LoL.

I thought only the blowhard ' s would say they were interested and the eventual buyer would be someone who has said nothing?

Pegula hasn't said anything on the record. "Sources" with knowledge of the situation are reported as saying it.

Most retractable roofs on stadiums are like sunroofs on cars...a hole in the roof but you're still essentially inside. Not worth the $200-400 million it adds to the cost of construction. Make it a fixed roof and leave it at that. You won't get rickets from a lack of sunlight.

Why? Who wants to spend a nice WNY September/October day inside? And if Pegula is the guy taxpayers of WNY probably won't be footing most of the bill anyway, so RETRACTABLE roof it is.

Why? Who wants to spend a nice WNY September/October day inside? And if Pegula is the guy taxpayers of WNY probably won't be footing most of the bill anyway, so RETRACTABLE roof it is.

You're still going to feel like you're indoors staring out of the "sunroof" of a retractable roof stadium.

From the way Tony Kornheiser talks, that is what happened in DC as well when they built the MCI, now Verizon, Center. I believe Ted Leonsis is who gives credit to.

That's exactly what happened. Abe Pollin spent his own money for the most part. Not long after downtown DC finally recovered from the '68 riots. Looks like a different place now than what it was even 15 years ago. People everywhere, movie theaters, restaurants and shops. This, and what Kelly spoke of regarding Phoenix, is why I've been advocating a downtown stadium. God bless Bills fans in Southern Ontario and Niagara Falls and points east, but the city of Buffalo should benefit from the Buffalo Bills. Period. And if a stadium goes downtown, with other development attached to it, downtown Buffalo could be what it was when I was hanging onto my mothers leg walking down Main Street.

It's been hard to see the ghost town downtown had become for all these years. I would have never believed it would be like that. I'm glad people in a position of power w/money or political capital (that isn't corrupt) is finally seeing how valuable it is to have viable downtown again.

You're still going to feel like you're indoors staring out of the "sunroof" of a retractable roof stadium.

Not necessarily. Depends on how they construct the place.

Edited by purple haze