In 2000, if Bills take Brady instead of Leif Olve Dolonen Larsen ....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But if he comes to Buffalo, does he still have a hall of fame career? We had Flutie and Johnson on the roster battling out, does Brady get a chance? We had a defensive-minded coach in Wade Phillips. Does Brady get cut or traded to another team where he has a HoF career? Or does his career fizzle and he's just another footnote in Bills history like * Leif Olve Dolonen Larsen?

I dislike hindsight as well. But, I will play along. He would have never seen the field. Maybe the practice squad and then plucked off it to another team. But, thinking back, the Bills didn't have Brady on their draft board. Almost every team didn't have Brady on their draft board. New England was the ONLY team that even spoke to Michigan's head coach prior to the draft.

which, in hindsight, still would be a huge victory for the bills.

Good point. And sad commentary that rather than develop HoF talent on our own best we can do is waste it so at least the competition doesn't have.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Brady would be out of the league. It's not to say he's not good, but simply put, he got put in the best position possible, and shined when needed to.

Some QBs will be great no matter where they get drafted. Some are very dependent on the situation. Brady is a guy who falls into the latter.

Not taking anything away from him... just it's kind of like the nature vs nuture debate.

I dislike hindsight as well. But, I will play along. He would have never seen the field. Maybe the practice squad and then plucked off it to another team. But, thinking back, the Bills didn't have Brady on their draft board. Almost every team didn't have Brady on their draft board. New England was the ONLY team that even spoke to Michigan's head coach prior to the draft.

That's kind of my sentiment as well. Cut or plucked off PS. Question then what happens to him? He wasn't a physical specimen like a favre or Vick.

BTW this thread was not meant as a "hindsight being 20/20", its to question the importance of the team and circumstances in recognizing and developing unheralded players. That and I just wanted to work

"Leif Olve Dolonen Larsen" into the discussion.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

:cry:

We know that he would never have gotten the zebra boost in Buffalo that he got in New England.

kj

Everyone is talking about the effect on Brady's career, but what would Larsen have done in New England? HOF?

Yeah, would have been tough to displace AVP as third string on that QB roster...

I don't get this talk of barely making the PS on the Bills. He wasn't an unknown guy from some 2nd tier DIv1 school....I would guess that if Brady had recently (past 2-3 years, for instance) finished 4 years a t Michigan and started the last 2 years, won 20/25 games, a share of the Big 10 championship and 2 Bolw games (Arkansas and Alabama) he would have been hyped at least as much as guys like Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert, Tannehill, Dalton and any number of recent highly drafted mediocrities. Doubt he have lasted to the 6th round.

Had he been drafted by the Bills he likely would have stuck around long enough to again replace Blesdoe. Or, maybe the Bills never would have had to pick up Bledsoe if Brady had been around when the Bills only option was to start AVP for half the season after the running gag that was RJ again fractured his vagina in 2001.

So since we're playing hindsight, here's one I've always wondered about.

When the Pats traded Bledsoe, there were two teams interested, us and Cincy and we got him.

The first ten games or so the Bledsoe played here, he looked amazing, until around week 11 when he faced the Pats. Thye made him look terrible. A few of the next up teams took notice and did similar things and the second half of that year wasn't nearly as strong as the first half. They then played the Pats again the last game of the year, and they again made him look real bad. After two games of seeing the same, the following season all the teams ran the same things on him and he was never the same.

But what if instead he had gone to the Bengels? The way the schedule worked out, the Bengels would not have played NE until what would have been his 3rd season there and the nonly one game. would his fauslts not have been exposed. I've always felt that may have bee nthe case and he would have had a much better later season career.

Yeah, would have been tough to displace AVP as third string on that QB roster...

I don't get this talk of barely making the PS on the Bills. He wasn't an unknown guy from some 2nd tier DIv1 school....I would guess that if Brady had recently (past 2-3 years, for instance) finished 4 years a t Michigan and started the last 2 years, won 20/25 games, a share of the Big 10 championship and 2 Bolw games (Arkansas and Alabama) he would have been hyped at least as much as guys like Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert, Tannehill, Dalton and any number of recent highly drafted mediocrities. Doubt he have lasted to the 6th round.

Had he been drafted by the Bills he likely would have stuck around long enough to again replace Blesdoe. Or, maybe the Bills never would have had to pick up Bledsoe if Brady had been around when the Bills only option was to start AVP for half the season after the running gag that was RJ again fractured his vagina in 2001.

He could have also gone the route of AJ McCarron. 5th rd. Teams don't care as much, it seems, what you won in college as much as how you project to the NFL based on the system you came from, physical measurements, and upside.The guys you mentioned all had more physical upside than a McCarron or Brad. Brady was a twig and slow. Edited by YoloinOhio

He could have also gone the route of AJ McCarron. 5th rd. Teams don't care as much, it seems, what you won in college as much as how you project to the NFL based on the system you came from, physical measurements, and upside.The guys you mentioned all had more physical upside than a McCarron or Brad. Brady was a twig and slow.

Brady's intangibles were off the charts and of course difficult to assess. His confidence was sky high, he was violently competitive and works his arse off. Add that to a tall physical frame and hands that will absolutely fire bullets with perfect mechanics, et voila...

I still can't believe he introduced himself to Kraft as a 6th rounder rookie and said he was going to prove he was the best decision the franchise ever made.

Add: I could have seen him buried on the depth chart and not given the opportunity by a "he's not my guy" coach and might have never been.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood