JBJ, Tanenbaum and Jacobs family super team?

Obviously, the team will always be the Buffalo Bills to us.

Nevertheless, if it meant securing the Bills' long-term future in WNY with sound financial support for the team, I might be able to convince myself to go along with the following:

Buffalo-Niagara Bills

or

Buffalo/Niagara Bills

That could be the official name. It parallels the marketing campaign that the region has.

http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/

It is not as nonsensical as Niagara Bills and still keeps the original name and tradition as part of the name. People north of the border probably would become more invested (emotionally and financially) than they otherwise would.

Most of us probably still would call them the Buffalo Bills or just the Bills in any event.

Except that in this case, the name would make no sense at all, not that anybody outside of this area really has given the name any thought...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that in this case, the name would make no sense at all, not that anybody outside of this area really has given the name any thought...

Just pretend that "Niagara" is a middle name. I am OK with Buffalo/Niagara Bills if that somehow increases the value. Or, Buffalo Niagara Bills... Just like the Buffalo Niagara International Airport. As long as they do not move out of the area.. and no they shouldn't dump Buffalo out of the name.

It would still be Buffalo Bills .... 49ers moved out of SF to the South Bay ~ Santa Clara / San Jose area (40 miles south) and will still be called the San Francisco 49ers. I don't see a change for Buffalo if this were to happen.

It would still be Buffalo Bills .... 49ers moved out of SF to the South Bay ~ Santa Clara / San Jose area (40 miles south) and will still be called the San Francisco 49ers. I don't see a change for Buffalo if this were to happen.

The article makes it seem (I understand it's mostly speculation and not anything imminent) that the change would be some sort of compromise to appease the rich guys who don't want to own the "Buffalo Bills," but can't move the team as far away as they want.

It is not as nonsensical as Niagara Bills

Who says it has to make sense? Nobody complains about the L.A. Lakers name these days though I'm sure quite a few did when they initially moved from Minnesota.

Niagara Bills makes zero sense. I could envision a secondary Bills logo that would have the Bills logo with a USA Star and a Canadian Maple Leaf, maybe even connected by a Rainbow to represent the Falls.

" Right now there don't appear to be many bidders on the U.S. side" the source said.

I find that very hard to believe.

The whole article seems to be written about what if's, fantasy land and made up crap.

What if Bon Jersey wasn't such a douche bag?

The name wouldn't be changing if it went to NF, it was just as Promo said, a euphemism. The team hasn't played a game in Buffalo since the Rockpile. However, Niagara Buffalo BIlls, not the other way around would make sense. But, just because the topic has started, would you support the official logo being the Buffalo we have now, with a small maple leaf at the tail of the streak?

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Niagara Bills sounds terrible. Not just because it would be taking the city of Buffalo out of the the name, but because it makes no sense. Neither would the logo. The logo already has nothing to do with the team name. Rename them the Niagara Bills and it has nothing to do with anything. Might as well just completely rename and rebrand them at that point.

Who says you have to change the name? Or if you really want to shoot for the regional branding go with Buffalo Bills of Niagara.

Niagara Bills sounds terrible. Not just because it would be taking the city of Buffalo out of the the name, but because it makes no sense. Neither would the logo. The logo already has nothing to do with the team name. Rename them the Niagara Bills and it has nothing to do with anything. Might as well just completely rename and rebrand them at that point.

So change it to the Niagara Frontier, or the Niagara Power. The only Buffalo's who lived in Buffalo did so at the Zoo. The connection to Buffalo Bill Cody was that he did a few shows here as well as everwhere else in the world. Most would get used to it in a year. Some would never but it's always been a bend or break world.

Who says you have to change the name? Or if you really want to shoot for the regional branding go with Buffalo Bills of Niagara.

It was speculated in the article that a regional name change would be part of the deal. That's all.

I think most Buffalo fans could get behind the stadium going to Niagara Falls. I think you'll see a lot of upset people if they propose regionaliZing the name and changing it to Niagara Bills
So we called them the Orchard Park Bills for the 5 decades? The name should stay Buffalo if it gets built in Niagara Falls.

Exactly. The concession to Canadians is that the stadium would be closer to them in Niagara Falls and would give them a sense of the team being more theirs than in years past. The idea is to strengthen the Canadian fan base, not to give them the team and ignore the WNY/Rochester fan base. They don't get a concession on the name, too. It stays Buffalo Bills. Period.

If by "speculated" you mean the reporter pulls the idea out of his butt, then yeah.

Well that's basically the definition of speculate which is why I used that word, so

I never said it was a definite thing, but it's part of the article which the thread is about so it seemed like fair game to comment on.

I don't get this article. How much of it is based on sources and how much of it is based on what he thinks would be cool?

Exactly what I was thinking. I had to go back to see who this source is. And, it sounds like he made up the whole thing but the source says a group like that would be a "gamechanger."

WTF - I could have been the source on that.

Well that's basically the definition of speculate which is why I used that word, so

I never said it was a definite thing, but it's part of the article which the thread is about so it seemed like fair game to comment on.

Speculation, I always thought, was based on some crumb of fact. Sort of an educated guess. I get the impression Kryk threw out "Niagara Bills" from his own imagination, not from anything he heard from Bon Jovi, Tannenbaum or MSLE.

Wow. Sell the team to a Canadian based interest and have New York pay for the stadium with your tax dollars. In what demented universe do you think that would happen. If the Canadians buy the Bills, then they can build their own stadium wherever they want and they can call the Bills whatever they want.

Why a Canadian paper would print this article in any part of a paper other than the Op Ed section is seriously crazy.

I have never seen a reporter try to broker a business deal in an article because he so desperately wants it to happen. The guy needs help.