Ballmer: 2 Billion for Clippers

Not to mention there is a gigantic overseas streaming deal about to be closed for the NBA. No concrete numbers yet, but Cuban has suggested the recent sales (Bucks) and future sales would all take tho into account.

NBA kicks butt globally, the NFL is only king in the US.

Yep more people play basketball in China than there are people in the US.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're paying $2 billion for a sports franchise it's absolutely NOT about the money. If the Bills were sold for $2 Billion that would virtually guarantee the team stays in Buffalo simply because the owner will have to be so rich that he doesn't care about losing money.

I think that's the main reason they bid for franchises

Edited by GG

I was feeling pretty good about Bills staying in Buffalo until this absurdity. Thank god none of these rumored Toronto people have that type of crazy money to throw around. Hope Bills get sold soon. Only a matter of time before NFL is back in LA if the Clippers are worth $2B.

If someone is willing to pay 2 Billion for the Buffalo Braves, buying the Bills, paying a relocation fee and breaking the lease to move to LA is a mere pittance.

Edited by ET1062

This is going to be an emotional roller coaster.

I was feeling very confident and excited. This Ballmer/Clippers deal has me a little less so.

P.S. Why did Paul Snyder have to sell the Braves to John Y. Brown?!?

I thought this had to be BS when I first heard it. It certainly makes a relocation of a team like the Bills a much stronger possibility. Realistically if LA is tripling franchise value the Bills could be bought for $1.2bn, moved for $800m (buffalo escape fee and NFL transfer fee) and still be a steal.

I will admit, I have been in the "Bills aren't going anywhere camp" for awhile but it is scary to think that someone could just make an offer that no one could refuse and eat the $400 million. Prior to the Clippers' sale I wouldn't have thought it possible but now I'm not so sure. I do happen to think however, that the Wilson family is committed to selling the team to someone with the intent of keeping the Bills in Buffalo regardless. I was just arguing with a friend last week about how much the Clippers would sell for. He said half a billion and I was like, no way they're gonna go for a billion. But $2 billion? I thought it was a mistake when I first saw it.

The sale price and what a team is "worth" are rarely if ever the same thing.

Actually, they are always the same thing.

If someone is willing to pay 2 Billion for the Buffalo Braves, buying the Bills, paying a relocation fee and breaking the lease to move to LA is a mere pittance.

As has been explained many times in other threads, there is no ability to break the lease prior to year 7, when there is a relatively cheap termination option of around $28 million.

Paul Snyder sold off the good Braves players and finally what was left of the franchise to build Darien Lake.

When I was at Cornell, Snyder gave a lecture and bragged about how he sold Bob McAdoo for more than the cost of the franchise.

I was really pissed off when I heard him brag about this even though he had to know that this was the first step in the the process of selling the team and its relocation. If all of that leads to Ballmer purchasing the relocated Braves for this ridiculous amount and, in turn, setting the stage for the Bills' sale to someone willing to pay a similarly ridiculous amount and move the team, I will be crushed again - but even more so.

Edited by Peter

The Clippers didn't go for $2 billion because it's a sound investment. They went for $2 billion because Steve Ballmer doesn't care about losing money. Let me put it this way, if someone wanted to make money owning the Clippers they would have paid far closer to the Forbes value.

If someone were to pay $2 billion for the Bills it wouldn't be because they are looking to make a dime on the team. It's impossible to make money at that price, even in LA.

Edited by Fingon

The Clippers didn't go for $2 billion because it's a sound investment. They went for $2 billion because Steve Ballmer doesn't care about losing money. Let me put it this way, if someone wanted to make money owning the Clippers they would have paid far closer to the Forbes value.

If someone were to pay $2 billion for the Bills it wouldn't be because they are looking to make a dime on the team. It's impossible to make money at that price, even in LA.

Yep, I read that this is 4 times more than the next "closest" NBA team sale, the $550 million paid earlier this month for the Milwaukee Bucks. It is also the second highest price ever paid for a sports team in North America, Dodgers in 2012 for $2.1 billion. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yep, I read that this is 4 times more than the next "closest" NBA team sale, the $550 million paid earlier this month for the Milwaukee Bucks. It is also the second highest price ever paid for a sports team in North America, Dodgers in 2012 for $2.1 billion.

The next closest bid was $1.6 billion and that was by a group of wealthy individuals including Oprah. To me his bid of $2 billion screams of over bidding and flexing his financial muscles, just to insure/prove he would be the top bid.

I thought this had to be BS when I first heard it. It certainly makes a relocation of a team like the Bills a much stronger possibility. Realistically if LA is tripling franchise value the Bills could be bought for $1.2bn, moved for $800m (buffalo escape fee and NFL transfer fee) and still be a steal.

Yep. The timing of this stinks for us Bills fans. NFL teams are rarely on sale so the Buffalo Bills are a huge opportunity for anyone that wants in. If the Golisano team bids $1.2B for the Bills and some LA or Toronto group decides to bid $2.7B or something ridiculous, then they're gone. I don't think there is a stipulation that WNY bids are the only one's being considered.

On the flip side, the Milwaukee Bucks, a small market NBA team needing a new stadium sold for $550M just six weeks ago. The ridiculous over bidding for the Clippers may be an LA thing only. Forbes had the Bucks valued at $405M before the sale so they went for about 36% higher than expected. I'm not sure what they have the Bills valued at right now but you can be assured they will sell for far more than that..

Disregarding the potential impact to the Bills, no one is commenting on the fact that idiot Donald Sterling just made a colossal amount of money. He is being rewarded for his stupidity.

Yes, and no. He is 81 and sick. You can't take it with you. His family or whoever he is leaving it to will be rewarded.

Mike Rodak@mikerodak 19m

Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz tells @NewsRadio930 that the Clippers’ $2B sale “could boost the price of the Bills now."

Mike Rodak@mikerodak 11m

Of course, the Clippers’ record sale speaks to the value of the L.A. market. Ballmer’s purchase a double-edged sword for Bills & fans.

Rachel Nichols@Rachel__Nichols 39m

More

This is the huge game-changer. Great reporting RT @ramonashelburne: ESPN has learned experts declared Donald Sterling mentally incapacitated

Edited by YoloinOhio