Spotrac Contract Forecast: CJ Spiller

Spotrac@spotrac 6m

@SalSports The Reggie Bush deal w/ #Lions fits Spiller. $4M per year, only the signing bonus g'teed, leaving room to restructure or get out.

Sal Capaccio @SalSports · 21m

According to
, CJ contract forecast 3yr, $12.2M. OK. Sign me up. That's less than McKelvin is making and CJ himself making right now
Edited by YoloinOhio

That's the benchmark I've been pointing towards.

If that is the neighborhood that we are in sign me up. I hope that this year Spiller is used like he should be. He is an offensive weapon very much like Reggie Bush (specifically Saints Reggie Bush). That's how he should be used and how I believe that he will be used. Marrone was the OC then and must see the similarities. He thought coming in that CJ was a workhorse back and he isn't. He is an explosive playmaker that needs the ball in space and will hit some home runs. If used correctly he will be a valuable weapon for the Bills offense.

Spiller has yet to pick an Agent.

he is getting advice from Jairus Byrd.

I doubt he signs with buffalo for a "fair market" deal.

"But at the same time, you've got to be a realist with yourself and understand that this is a business, as well. But my goal, I would love to stay here and finish my career, but who knows how it'll play out."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8959/spiller-will-hire-agent-reach-out-to-byrd

Edited by papazoid

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 7m

Very good and interesting read forecasting CJ Spiller's next deal by @Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.c...r-455/ …

I'm a big fan of that site. I think there's always more to it than just pure numbers, but the article is well explained and the end result looks realistic. Of course the biggest impact on Spillers value will by far be what he does this year, which is impossible to predict. If he rushes for over 1500 yards and 10 TD's, those numbers could double.

I don't think he's going to be had for that cheap. He can make a much stronger case than Bush that he was mis-used or that his production wasn't as high due to playing with bad QBs on bad teams.

I have a feeling that a team out there is going to give him a top tier deal.

I there's a little bias towards a Bill in that comment. This is all opinion, but I feel the early part of CJ's career has been very much like the early part of Bush's career. He's even more comparable to Chris Johnson (who by most measures has been more successful). Also, you have to keep in mind what has happened to the RB market in recent years. Teams seem unwilling to provide any sort of large contract to RB's.

Again, it all comes down to this year...But if he has another mediocre season, those numbers are right on. If he lights it up, they'll be low.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If he has a 2012 type season again, he'll be one of the highest paid backs in the NFL. If he has a year like last year I can see a deal in the $4 million a year range. Actually, if he puts up 1200+ yards on 6.0 YPC again the Bills might have to franchise him to keep him.

I don't think he's going to be had for that cheap. He can make a much stronger case than Bush that he was mis-used or that his production wasn't as high due to playing with bad QBs on bad teams.

I have a feeling that a team out there is going to give him a top tier deal.

Agreed, especially with a bounce back injury free year that we will hopefully get.

I am not suggesting they do this because I honestly don't have an opinion yet on whether I think they would/should, but does anyone know if the Bills able to use the franchise tag on him this year, with the player opt-out in his deal?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Agreed, especially with a bounce back injury free year that we will hopefully get.

Don't forget that superbowl winning teams have some of their free agents taken at slightly higher premiums :thumbsup:

I like CJ, a hell of a lot more than I liked Byrd, at least the way he conducted his business...but I'll say this about the RB *position* the same way I advocated for not over-investing in Byrd based on *position* - pay CJ a fair market value, but do NOT over-pay him based on his time with the team and / or projected production. RBs as others have mentioned have gone the way of a "dime-a-dozen" type of player and while I really do like CJ as a person and as a member of the Buffalo BILLS, given what the team will need to do over the next few years and most likely will need to do next year in FA, committing too much money to a *position* that does not hold its value is money spent poorly....I sincerely hope the BILLS and CJ can come to a fair and reasonable contract that pays him well, but also based on market value.

Stop screwing around and sign the guy now, before he has a great season and is out of here. How many players that we have developed have we lost. We constantly are 10-15 million per year under the cap. Get it done.

I think if Brown is a viable option (1000-yards or more), we'll be seeing Spiller walk. We have more important positions we will need to address and we shouldn't break the bank on a player who is not an every-down back. Plus, if we ever make the playoffs, we need money for FAs that would help push us deep into the playoffs.

3 years 15m with 7m guaranteed. Git-r Done!

This would be perfect IMO. If they use him correctly I think that he will be even more valuable. Reggie Bush won games for the Saints being used as a weapon. There was a night game against Minnesota when he returned 2 punts for TDs. If you use Spiller as nothing more than a big play guy he could play a very important role moving forward. If you are going to try to pound him between the tackled 20 times a game you are better off with someone else doing that. I actually think that the addition of Brown helps the chances of Spiller staying here long term.

If he has a 2012 type season again, he'll be one of the highest paid backs in the NFL. If he has a year like last year I can see a deal in the $4 million a year range. Actually, if he puts up 1200+ yards on 6.0 YPC again the Bills might have to franchise him to keep him.

he is actually already at the age of (or i think older than) the guys that have typically gotten those MONSTER deals. he will be 28 going into the 2015 season, the first year of his new contract. I would not expect him to see 5 year 40m+ type of money at that point - especially with a mixed resume that he will have. unless he gets a 300 carry year AND stays healthy we are not talking about elite cornerstone dollars. we are more likely talking about 200 rushes, 50 catches and elite role player dollars

Spotrac@spotrac 6m

@SalSports The Reggie Bush deal w/ #Lions fits Spiller. $4M per year, only the signing bonus g'teed, leaving room to restructure or get out.

Sal Capaccio @SalSports · 21m

According to
, CJ contract forecast 3yr, $12.2M. OK. Sign me up. That's less than McKelvin is making and CJ himself making right now

Laughable. He'll get more.