2014 projected bills starters from nfl.com

TPS

Care to make a wager? Put your money where your mouth is?

Why bet on something I desperately DON'T want to happen. The list of starters is a PROJECTION. Based on that list, I made another projection factoring in the teams we'd be playing. I don't need to bet, or put my money anywhere. IF that list turns out to be accurate, we could be in for a very long season.

I could swear our base defense last year WAS the nickel, we saw it so much.

That's everyone, really. It's a matter of if you are running it 3-3 or 4-2 and if your extra db is a corner or safety that probably holds more weight than most of our arguments over base D

Why bet on something I desperately DON'T want to happen. The list of starters is a PROJECTION. Based on that list, I made another projection factoring in the teams we'd be playing. I don't need to bet, or put my money anywhere. IF that list turns out to be accurate, we could be in for a very long season.

It's win win- if they suck you get some cash and if they win you'll just be happy.

You used projection and if in that but do you see anything in the pipeline to really shake that up? I think our roster is pretty set with just a couple battles to sort out but nothing that's the gap between 2 and 8 wins

I dont know much about Chris Williams....except that he rated out horribly. Anyone have any knowledge of that? But I think he's a good depth signing. An upgrade over the cones we had there.

I'm hoping Richardson is the LG.

Glenn--Richardson--Wood--Urbik--Cyrus

I like the looks of that better.

I dont know much about Chris Williams....except that he rated out horribly. Anyone have any knowledge of that? But I think he's a good depth signing. An upgrade over the cones we had there.

I think, iirc, those ratings were at CB and when translated to the actual game proved he was not strong as a CB candidate but has the tools and skillset to succeed at nickel or safety.

I need to watch some film on the guy.

Admittedly, I have not watched a ton on film on C. Williams. To be fair, he has not graded out all that well, but that was A) while being the most reliable member of a bad line, which can affect even good players and B) He did is playing three of the best defenses in the league twice a year (Seahawks, Nineers, Cards)

I can see C. Williams starting this year, letting Richardson come along.

I have also heard rumors that Cockrell is Henderson's new project. He might be moving to safety, or his presence may let Corey Graham move over.

Why would robey lose playing time to graham? Robey was REALLY good last year. He needs to be on the field. Marrone or Whaley had mentioned using graham at safety, so I really think graham is our starting FS or our first man up if any DB goes down, which is inevitable.

Edited by Shouldaplayedflutie99

Why would robey lose playing time to graham? Robey was REALLY good last year. He needs to be on the field. Marrone or Whaley had mentioned using graham at safety, so I really think graham is our starting FS or our first man up if any DB goes down, which is inevitable.

Indeed, Robey was an absolute beast on the field. The staff may be concerned with size mismatches, though.

Indeed, Robey was an absolute beast on the field. The staff may be concerned with size mismatches, though.

Yea, Robey is tiny. He's listed at 5'8" / 165 lb which is actually smaller then Roscoe Parrish was listed. They also usually embellish those numbers so I wouldn't be surprised if he was smaller then that. I think they rotate Robey. Graham, and McKelvin at the nickle spot depending on the team they're playing. If you're playing the Jets and they put 6'5" Stephen Hill in the slot, you don't want Robey covering him; giving up nearly 10 inches.

I also think the other safety spot will be rotational. Searcy will see time on run downs. Graham will probably see a lot of action there on 3rd downs. Duke Williams will be in the fold. There is also Meeks but I don't know where he fits in right now. Searcy played pretty well last season and I think he will only improve with another year of experience in the NFL.

Pretty much what other have said, with some caveats. Robey is really, really good at defending short routes. I see him as the anti-Amendola/Welker, which is good when you play them three games this year. But I believe the Saints wound up pairing Jimmy Graham on him.

Nailed it. Both Graham and Robey will be assets . Its all about match ups.

by the way Robey was incredible last year.

And Corey Graham is one of the smarter signings by Whaley . As White Walker mentioned , Graham can cover the TEs. and he can play boundary.

Henderson must be delighted. So what if some guys are situational. Thats the way the game is played these days

Anyone else think we might have a stacked secondary for the first time in years and years ?

Anyone else think we might have a stacked secondary for the first time in years and years ?

Before the draft I kept thinking, "Wow, between Gilmore, McKelvin, Robey and Graham we have a very solid group at CB. I just hope that if they move someone over to FS that they get another guy who can play outside if Gilmore or McKelvin go down." And then they took Cockrell, who might be a perfect fit at safety, and if not gives room to move Graham over there.

Before the draft I kept thinking, "Wow, between Gilmore, McKelvin, Robey and Graham we have a very solid group at CB. I just hope that if they move someone over to FS that they get another guy who can play outside if Gilmore or McKelvin go down." And then they took Cockrell, who might be a perfect fit at safety, and if not gives room to move Graham over there.

It s too soon but call but Meeks might be able to help out and that UDFA *Ladler sounds hopeful . We shall see . Still time to pick up a cast off for depth too

That's what I am hoping for as well. I get the feeling though based on what they paid for Williams that he will be starting.

I never trust the "he failed the Physical" line ...I think most teams use that line for the media so they don't have to go into an actual explanation....on the Murphy show Kouandjio said he played almost 3 years after the surgery with no problems...I think he said he didn't miss one game in that time

True, and if it is arthritis it something which will slowly become a problem. Worse case scenario for Kouandjio is he doesn't have as long a career. I think he is going to be very good for awhile.

Couple things about the article....

First, Sessler says that Searcy must improve vs the run to keep the job opposite Williams. In fact, when Searcy started due t Byrd's temper tantrums, he did well enough against the run, that when Byrd did decide to play, Searcy often lined up as one of the nickle LBs with Alonzo. It was against the pass he seemed out of sorts, but that could be due to the fact Rodgers was so terrible it made the whole backfield look bad...

That said, I think Graham gets first crack at safety along with Williams, and gives us a much better matchup against bigger TEs....

Next, we all love Robey's play last year, but because of his size, he is better off as a situational player, perhaps lined up against the Welker's of the League. Even though he can stick like glue to WRs on the outside, most of the time, he will be mismatched against much bigger players. If the above holds true, and Graham starts at Safety, I think he slides inside if it's a bigger WR in the slot, and perhaps it's Searcy off the bench then. If the slot receiver is a smaller type, then certainly, Robey should get the call... Personally, I would love to see him matched up against someone like Edelman the whole game man up, thinking he could just about shut him down....

Onto the OL.... Folks, I'm as excited as everyone about the size we drafted, and the signing of Chris Williams. We MIGHT have 2 new faces on the line during week one, and the best bet for that starter is at LG.. We signed Williams to play there, but that was before drafting Richardson. Anyone that thinks Williams starts, simply because of his cap hit, is on good drugs... The best players will play, period... But remember, Cyril fell in the draft for a reason.... My hope is, he takes the job, but if not, no real loss since he was a 5th rd pick...

If there is a second new face in week one, it will of course be at RT, can Kouandijo beat out Pears/Hairston/Henderson??? No doubt he's a prototypical road grader, but how will he stack up against the NFLs speed rushers? Is Hairston healthy again? Can Henderson get his act together? If as the FO says, we're all in with EJ, and want to surround him with the talent to win, can we afford to put someone on the right that can block for the run, but is a liability against the rush?

Believe me, I hope, like others, that Cyrus, Cyril, and Santreal all work out, but if we get 1 starter out of that group, and a decent back up, I'll be happy...

Pretty much what other have said, with some caveats. Robey is really, really good at defending short routes. I see him as the anti-Amendola/Welker, which is good when you play them three games this year. But I believe the Saints wound up pairing Jimmy Graham on him.

Agree on all points.

Robey will get his playing time, whether he is the starting Nickel Back or not.

You don't necessarily want Robey in the game the whole time, that's where Corey Graham will help.

You are correct about the Saints game. Drew Brees picked on Robey constantly, and won practically the whole time.

Couple things about the article....

First, Sessler says that Searcy must improve vs the run to keep the job opposite Williams. In fact, when Searcy started due t Byrd's temper tantrums, he did well enough against the run, that when Byrd did decide to play, Searcy often lined up as one of the nickle LBs with Alonzo. It was against the pass he seemed out of sorts, but that could be due to the fact Rodgers was so terrible it made the whole backfield look bad...

That said, I think Graham gets first crack at safety along with Williams, and gives us a much better matchup against bigger TEs....

Next, we all love Robey's play last year, but because of his size, he is better off as a situational player, perhaps lined up against the Welker's of the League. Even though he can stick like glue to WRs on the outside, most of the time, he will be mismatched against much bigger players. If the above holds true, and Graham starts at Safety, I think he slides inside if it's a bigger WR in the slot, and perhaps it's Searcy off the bench then. If the slot receiver is a smaller type, then certainly, Robey should get the call... Personally, I would love to see him matched up against someone like Edelman the whole game man up, thinking he could just about shut him down....

Onto the OL.... Folks, I'm as excited as everyone about the size we drafted, and the signing of Chris Williams. We MIGHT have 2 new faces on the line during week one, and the best bet for that starter is at LG.. We signed Williams to play there, but that was before drafting Richardson. Anyone that thinks Williams starts, simply because of his cap hit, is on good drugs... The best players will play, period... But remember, Cyril fell in the draft for a reason.... My hope is, he takes the job, but if not, no real loss since he was a 5th rd pick...

If there is a second new face in week one, it will of course be at RT, can Kouandijo beat out Pears/Hairston/Henderson??? No doubt he's a prototypical road grader, but how will he stack up against the NFLs speed rushers? Is Hairston healthy again? Can Henderson get his act together? If as the FO says, we're all in with EJ, and want to surround him with the talent to win, can we afford to put someone on the right that can block for the run, but is a liability against the rush?

Believe me, I hope, like others, that Cyrus, Cyril, and Santreal all work out, but if we get 1 starter out of that group, and a decent back up, I'll be happy...

We might see 3 new starters on the OL week one.