The Chuck Pollock article about fans reactions to the draft

I think they had a great draft. I'm not a kool-aid drinker either. Kiper would have given them a C- regardless of who they selected. They fixed all their holes: another playmaker, check; possession receive (Williams); check; offensive line help, check; run stopping; check. Great safety (Ladler) in UDFA, check.

In reality, if Henderson puts down the pot, they got 3 first round talents this year (Watkins, Konjo, and Henderson) who can make instant impacts. How that is a C- is beyond me.

I don't believe you.

I was reading all the negative stuff in his article, and was gearing up to send another email to the guy when I got to the part that was a pretty direct quote from me. Although I used the word "spleef" instead of marijuana.

I believe you. It would be pretty unlikely that someone couldn't recognize that as their own work. I lol'd at the Eddie Munster (Mel Kiper) reference.

I swear these writers know the only people reading football articles now are the true fans, and we know that grading a draft takes years.

They write these articles for shock value and controversy. Webpage hits and readership numbers.

With Woods and EJ we still need at least another season to evaluate LAST years picks for gods sake.

Whenever you see the words 'draft grade' just skip the article and laugh.

I think they had a great draft. I'm not a kool-aid drinker either. Kiper would have given them a C- regardless of who they selected. They fixed all their holes: another playmaker, check; possession receive (Williams); check; offensive line help, check; run stopping; check. Great safety (Ladler) in UDFA, check.

In reality, if Henderson puts down the pot, they got 3 first round talents this year (Watkins, Konjo, and Henderson) who can make instant impacts. How that is a C- is beyond me.

You had me until you started discussing Henderson. I'm sorry, but even though he has the physical tools to be a first round talent, he has never shown on the field that he can put it together and perform like a first round talent. He was never the dominate force the Hurricanes expected him to be when he signed with them. He was a constant disappointment. Add to that the character issues and I don't see anyway this guy becomes an effective NFL player. I noted this in his thread, every other player that dropped or did not get drafted in the past with character issues who had success in the NFL, were high impact players at the college level. Moss, Lewis, Honey Badger to name a few. The only one who fell and did not perform well in college that worked out (that I can think of at least) is Vontaze Burfect. I mean, how seriously is Henderson going to take his career if he can't even quit smoking the bud for a known upcoming drug test (combine) and the enormous impact he would (and did) feel from failing this test. You can't fix stupid.

Dont really care what the fans think or the so called experts for that matter. Kiko was a 'reach' according to many last year and I see hes in the NFL Networks top 100 players as voted by the players. So much for the 'reach' theory. That should tell you everything you need to know about fan opinion. Most of which is formulated by know-it-all blowhards like Kiper and McShay who work in an area where nobody knows it all. In fact most of the experts(including NFL personnel people) don't know most of it. If you redrafted five years after every draft the draft would look nothing like it did when it first went down originally.

You had me until you started discussing Henderson. I'm sorry, but even though he has the physical tools to be a first round talent, he has never shown on the field that he can put it together and perform like a first round talent. He was never the dominate force the Hurricanes expected him to be when he signed with them. He was a constant disappointment. Add to that the character issues and I don't see anyway this guy becomes an effective NFL player. I noted this in his thread, every other player that dropped or did not get drafted in the past with character issues who had success in the NFL, were high impact players at the college level. Moss, Lewis, Honey Badger to name a few. The only one who fell and did not perform well in college that worked out (that I can think of at least) is Vontaze Burfect. I mean, how seriously is Henderson going to take his career if he can't even quit smoking the bud for a known upcoming drug test (combine) and the enormous impact he would (and did) feel from failing this test. You can't fix stupid.

Henderson was the number one offensive tackle recruit coming out of high school. He got with the wrong crowd or something. Probably spent most of his time in a fugue state. But he has the size and dimensions to be productive. Maybe he'll dry up, man up, and knock people on their backs. Wouldn't that be nice?

I believe you. It would be pretty unlikely that someone couldn't recognize that as their own work. I lol'd at the Eddie Munster (Mel Kiper) reference.

It would be easier to believe with a link. As it stands, I have no proof that this article even exists.

Thanks to bmur, I was able to find it.

http://www.bradfordera.com/sports/article_1a038b02-dee1-11e3-8b72-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

Edited by Jauronimo

As anyone with even a modicum of sense knows -- and that includes quite a few people around here -- no draft can be properly assessed immediately after it's taken place. The "three year" rule-of-thumb seems about right. That said, on paper (I know, I know, they don't play on paper) it looks to me as though the Bills pulled off an A + draft, not because they picked the way an imbecile like Kiper wants them to, but because they took care of the needs of the team. In Watkins they grabbed the best offensive weapon in the draft, someone who should be among the elite for years to come. They also added 3 huge, talented O linemen, a couple of promising LBs and an intriguing CB. And while the FA signings and trades aren't part of the draft -- Spikes, Williams, Rivers, et al -- you have to consider them to judge how well the Bills filled out their needs through the draft, and with the overall picture in mind, I think Whaley and Co. did a tremendous job.

Pollack's readers must include a large number of numbnuts.

So have to ask, do guys like Kiper and McShae really understand what NFL teams want and see in players? Or are they too busy watching college games and can't see how that translates to the NFL. Therefore whom they think should be high or low draft picks doesn't agree with what the GM's actually do. In many cases they agree, but when they differ then the draft guru's write columns ripping the teams.

As anyone with even a modicum of sense knows -- and that includes quite a few people around here -- no draft can be properly assessed immediately after it's taken place. The "three year" rule-of-thumb seems about right. That said, on paper (I know, I know, they don't play on paper) it looks to me as though the Bills pulled off an A + draft, not because they picked the way an imbecile like Kiper wants them to, but because they took care of the needs of the team. In Watkins they grabbed the best offensive weapon in the draft, someone who should be among the elite for years to come. They also added 3 huge, talented O linemen, a couple of promising LBs and an intriguing CB. And while the FA signings and trades aren't part of the draft -- Spikes, Williams, Rivers, et al -- you have to consider them to judge how well the Bills filled out their needs through the draft, and with the overall picture in mind, I think Whaley and Co. did a tremendous job.

Pollack's readers must include a large number of numbnuts.

Numbnuts make the most noise.

Because you dared to not to what the great Mel Kiper, Jr, said you should do. </sarcasm>

The link to the article: http://www.bradfordera.com/sports/article_1a038b02-dee1-11e3-8b72-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=story

I love when people make crazy blanket statements like:

"I think that we can conclude that (the trade to get Watkins) was a desperation move to make Manuel shine and one that will in every likelihood backfire."

Yes, that's the ONLY conclusion we can reach. o_O

I see just about nobody here knows a lick about Pollock. He's a good guy and Western New York's best writer. He doesn't write for page-clicks or number of readers. He doesn't give a ****.

He gets a lot of inside info but never jumps to share it because he doesn't care about being first (for example, he knew about Lee Evans' extension for almost a week before anybody reported it but never said anything. He told me about it and then a week later I saw it on ESPN).