Can WR Change This Team?

Pro Bowl WR's:

3 of 11 made the playoffs.

Antonio Brown, Steelers; Dez Bryant, Cowboys; Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals ; Josh Gordon, Browns; A.J. Green, Bengals; Alshon Jeffery, Bears; DeSean Jackson, Eagles; Andre Johnson, Texans; Calvin Johnson, Lions; Brandon Marshall, Bears; Demaryius Thomas, Broncos.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro Bowl WR's:

Antonio Brown, Steelers; Dez Bryant, Cowboys; Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals ; Josh Gordon, Browns; A.J. Green, Bengals; Alshon Jeffery, Bears; DeSean Jackson, Eagles; Andre Johnson, Texans; Calvin Johnson, Lions; Brandon Marshall, Bears; Demaryius Thomas, Broncos.

Point?

By himself wide receive cannot change this team.....no more so then QB can change this team by himself.......

Its a team sport....a team game....only the collective team change itself from a losing team to a winning team.....and the coaches have to take a lot of responsibility for that

- For instance.....what if you have a player or players....and the coaches KNEW that they were the best at a certain position....but did not start them because of draft placement....salary......hurt their feelings....yada yada yada....THAT is one way that a coach can influence the outcome of a team. Sometimes coaches get stubborn. I am happy to say that I dont see this out of OUR current coaches.

- A wide receiver can affect the winning and losing of the team by making plays at key moments in a game......in a 2 minute drill down by 2 and needing a field goal to win....will he make that clutch catch? Will he fight for that poorly thrown ball because the QB is running for his life.

- Will that offensive linemen hold his block for that extra 2 seconds to give the QB a chance to complete his throw

- Will that LB make that key 3rd down run stop that forces a punt.......

- Will that corner make that interception when we need to get the ball back at the end of a game?

- Will that QB make that right decision with a throw........will he hang onto the ball when being sacked (or a RB hang onto it when being tackled for that matter)

Could go on and on with this.....playmakers have to MAKE PLAYS in order to win games

Lets not forget the other two first round talent picks the Bills got: Konjo and Henderson. Beastly O-line and good WR's can lead to a Superbowl run with even average QB play

I agree, it's not just Sammy Watkins but also the three headed OL monster they drafted. Marrone is an Offensive line guru, with these monsters and a premier WR things will get interesting. Watch for CJ to tear it up this year.

Can someone who hasn't had much grape kool-aid please explain how the Bills' situation is any better now than it was five years ago from avoiding more 6-10 or 7-9 seasons?:

2009: The Bills, with an unproven young QB with speculative potential (Trent Edwards), feel that they are one big player away on offense from making the playoffs and sign the top WR in the NFL: Terrell Owens.

2014: The Bills, with an unproven young QB with speculative potential (E.J. Manuel), feel that they are one big player away on offense from making the playoffs and sign the top WR in the NFL draft: Sammy Watkins.

Looking at this logically, the Bills' situation could potentially be much worse in 2014 than it was in 2009 since we traded away our most proven WR (Stevie Johnson) and we will not have a #1 draft pick next season. Please discuss.

If the Bills were one WR away from a competitive team then the answer is "Yes." But the Bills weren't one WR away after last season: they also needed to improve the Oline, stop the run and correct some flaws in EJ. While we don't know if EJ is improved (and can stay healthy), the other two areas were most definitely addressed. So if EJ takes a big step forward as we all hope and pray, then adding Sammy Watkins could quickly put the Bills in the upper third of the league.

Well let's see:

-TO was a head case at the end of his career who ended up in Buffalo because no one else wanted him. Watkins is a rookie with a great attitude and spectacular potential.

-We know now that Edwards was terrible. We don't know that about EJ.

-There are 51 other positions on the team to evaluate.

Difficult to look at it logically when you have started with a lack of any logic in your premise.

Perfectly said

Sorry you don't like my screen name lol. I repair high end audio equipment in my spare time, hence the name "distortions." I also have a difficult time believe everything folks say and what I read! Can you add anything to the discussion besides attacking a screen name? It would be appreciated if you would lay off with the personal attacks in the future. My keyboard is bigger than yours. Thanks!!

I really don't have an issue with your screen name and so I am sorry you think it was personal. Hell I am an artist, so I could almost have the same screen name and think it fits me, as well. If I didn't think your view (in most things you post on here) is kind of warped (I mean come on, it was what 6 years ago, the team is almost entirely different from the owner on down, how many guys are even still on the team from that time period? 3 or 4 maybe), I would have not brought up the screen name.

I am sorry, I should have just stayed out of the thread entirely.There are others discussing it, (BTW if I were to reply it would have been along the lines of what Hopeful wrote) so good for you and your oversized keyboard, I guess. I kind of find apple to oranges comparisons a tad boring and not what I come on here for. A good rule of thumb with the internet is not to believe every thing you read btw, I know I couldn't believe what you wrote and expect people to take seriously in your original post, which I guess was what prompted my observation (which let me reiterate again, wasn't a personal attack), so I guess you and I are alike in that respect.

Thanks for your special attention to my reply and not involving yourself much in the rest of the discussion though. It actually turned into a better conversation than I imagined it would. Cheers and no hard feelings, I hope.

The TO signing was an act of desperation That's when we unloaded peters land threw bell out at LT. Now we have a stud LT and are above average at the RT position.

I saw the TO signing as more of an act of intelligent marketing by a member of an entertainment business rather than an act of desperation by an athletic sports team.

Desperation implies that the actor assumed or hoped there was some or any chance whatsoever that TO was going to make THE or even a big difference in this team becoming a winner or being capable of making the playoffs. I do not think anyone with any real sense of football saw TO as doing anything for improving the Bills in over half their game (Defense and ST are over half the game and outside of some impact on time of possession and field position which even if significant the impacts are clearly marginal.

TO on the other hand was a very good marketing move for the Bills as one he generates press (do you deny this I think much of his press is undeserved but it is press which this entertainment business wants). Also, signing TO was an incredibly low risk move for the Bills. Was TO a legit problem for his previous teams?

Yep!

However, his MO was that he FIRST produced for his team and built up adulation. He THEN became a cancer for his team demanding adulation from all including his proud teammates who also demanded being # 1, There was little or zero risk for the Bills for the one year deal he signed because the situation demanded he perform like a star and pretty much perform at a playoff level and ONLY then could he have a chance to be a cancer.

Quite frankly if the Bills ended up with a choice between a risk of cancer but you make the playoffs (as impossible as that would have been for any one player, O, D, ST, or even QB) then the risk of TO becoming a cancer is no risk at all.

I think your overarching premise lacks refinement. Can Watkins make a change for the Bills?

For sure. (even a failed 1st rounder if he gets hurt changes us in terms of missed opportunity, but if he develops a good chemistry with EJ, and also helps the running game by demanding a dt then he has a significant positive change).

Can he be the one piece which delivers the playoffs?

No way.

This team is way more than 1 player away (one would be stupid to think they are)

Can someone who hasn't had much grape kool-aid please explain how the Bills' situation is any better now than it was five years ago from avoiding more 6-10 or 7-9 seasons?:

2009: The Bills, with an unproven young QB with speculative potential (Trent Edwards), feel that they are one big player away on offense from making the playoffs and sign the top WR in the NFL: Terrell Owens.

2014: The Bills, with an unproven young QB with speculative potential (E.J. Manuel), feel that they are one big player away on offense from making the playoffs and sign the top WR in the NFL draft: Sammy Watkins.

Looking at this logically, the Bills' situation could potentially be much worse in 2014 than it was in 2009 since we traded away our most proven WR (Stevie Johnson) and we will not have a #1 draft pick next season. Please discuss.

TO was signed as a marketing ploy to sell tickets and excite the fan base.

The TO signing was an act of desperation That's when we unloaded peters land threw bell out at LT. Now we have a stud LT and are above average at the RT position.

TO was signed as a marketing ploy to sell tickets and excite the fan base.

I think both of these points are true. The Jauron years were dark days, indeed.

Pro Bowl WR's:

fall behind teams you throw a lot more, better numbers on paper = pro bowl

Here's the thing...

The Bills as an Organization feel their roster is ready to compete...They are basing this not only on EJ, but on the off-season which brought in several vets along with the Rookie class...Watkins being the key...I would say that if you took the Bills Roster that got stomped by the Pats in week 17 last year and only switched out Watkins for Stevie your point would have more validity...But they added a starting LG in Chris Williams, a 5th DB in Graham, a starting OLB in Rivers, a starting MLB in Spikes, and a starting WR with Mike Williams before the Draft even started...They bring back some nice talent on both sides of the ball...THEN they replaced Stevie with Watkins, not to mention adding three mammoth O-Linemen to greatly strengthen the depth in that area...This team was changed a ton before they ever Drafted these kids...And it only got better after...

So I think if you had looked at this logically you could not come up with the assertion that this could be worse than 2009...We'll see how it all plays out...But regardless of what any pundit may say there is not many people who know and understand football that will look at this Bills roster and come away thinking it's anywhere close to that 2009 team...This team has talent...And IF EJ plays well...and I'll give you that's a major IF right now...this team can make a run...I don't think there's any doubt about it... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

-TO was a head case at the end of his career who ended up in Buffalo because no one else wanted him.

I have read this on here a lot. But TO was signed in the first few days of FA. How do we know no one else wanted him?

Just for fun sometime, look up the record for longest TD pass in Buffalo Bills History.

TO signing as more of an act of intelligent marketing by a member of an entertainment business rather than an act of desperation by an athletic sports team

Actually, signing TO was Trent's idea.

To answer the OP's query, it's different this time. 2009 team was NOT one player away and neither was 2013's. And, we didn't add only one WR. We dumped oen that spotted the opposition 1 - 2 games per year (yes, I know about the 2 1000 yard seasons :) and replaced him with 2 good to great WRs, Watkins and Williams. And we have Woods too.

Pro Bowl WR's:

Count much? 5 of 11 is the correct answer.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Can a WR change this team? Maybe, maybe not. But I can tell you that a top WR prospect, another solid WR, a very good young RB, significant OL improvements, a Middle LB who is actually a MLB with the size to help stop the run, another LB for the outside / depth, a very good nickle CB / or possibly Saftey can DEFINITELY change this team.

I believe the biggest change to this team will be either Woods or Williams having a big year because of all the attention Watkins will receive.

Can someone who hasn't had much grape kool-aid please explain how the Bills' situation is any better now than it was five years ago from avoiding more 6-10 or 7-9 seasons?

IMO a WR alone cannot change a team's fortunes. A top notch undisputed #1 WR added to a team with a much deeper bench though could be just what the Dr. ordered.

Strong running game

O-line should be better

Deep WR corp

Second year QB will improve on 2013 performance (fingers & toes are crossed...this is the biggest key to 2014-5)

Strong D-line

Additions at LB

Core ST players

Those things should help the team improve on its record.