What record saves this staff? Dooms them?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you guys kidding? Unless they go 3-13 and the locker room is a complete disaster there is no chance this staff is fired after two years.

I disagree. If a new owner comes in after another 6-10 season (which signifies no improvement) I could see them gone. It's basically a "what record insures this staff won't be able to be dismissed by whatever owner/what record insures that they will be tossed aside" thread.

Not talking to you, but obviously, its speculation. That's why I made the thread.

Edited by FireChan

This is not a playoff caliber roster until the Bills figure out who is playing QB. As of right now, they are going into the season with the same

QB roster they finished the year with, and we know how that played out.

If E.J. goes down again, you have Thad Lewis back there who honestly probably played about as well or poorly as E.J. did.

This is also absolute nonsense. The OC is OK maybe, certainly no better than Gailey.

We have no idea how the D is going to play, and the ST coach is a joke and should have been fired, or never hired. IMO

I'm pretty sure they have figured out who is playing QB. It would be last years first round pick EJ Manual. So now let's make this another thread about Manuel.

I think unless things completely blow up, meaning they regress, this staff will get at least another year.

New ownership aside unlikely they'd be fired after two seasons. Could mean Marrone dumps the ST or OC but likely he'll be back for a 3rd year.

New owners come in, all bets are off, they could make the playoffs and still be gone. Depends alot on who the owner is. If it were a football guy, all of sudden Dan Marino is part of a new ownership group, then they could be gone regardless of record. If a guy like Jacobs, or even Trump, then more likely coaches remain particularly Whaley and Brandon, though Russ may be in a different role if the new owner has their own president in waiting.

Agreed that a new owner who is a football guy or who is already tightly connected with one wouldn't think twice of cleaning house. If the new owner isn't that savvy, I can see Russ selling him the snake oil for another year. I don't agree though that Trump would keep anyone who is garbage or incompetent, I think he would fit squarely in the 1st group & bring in his own people.

In general, I don't necessarily think it will be playoffs or bust, but everyone is expecting significant improvement this year on the field. All bets are off if this team tanks it ala 2003, everyone can & should be gone regardless of who the owner is..

Edited by Rico

Agreed that a new owner who is a football guy or who is already tightly connected with one wouldn't think twice of cleaning house. If the new owner isn't that savvy, I can see Russ selling him the snake oil for another year. I don't agree though that Trump would keep anyone who is garbage or incompetent, I think he would fit squarely in the 1st group & bring in his own people.

In general, I don't necessarily think it will be playoffs or bust, but everyone is expecting improvement this year. All bets are off if this team tanks it ala 2003, everyone can & should be gone regardless of who the owner is..

Russ Brandon, I think, would be the first to go under new ownership.

If the ownership changes I think it's playoffs or bust. Although I think if Golisano is the owner I think the staff will stay. Crossman should've been fired. I don't think if the Bills do fire Whaley and/or Marrone at the end of the year how attractive the job will be. No 1st rd pick and if the Bills are bad I think that will mean Manuel hasn't improved.

I'm not sure anything dooms this staff. Ownership may not be transferred until a year from now. This staff this get three years minimum. Honestly I think they will get more than that

This is a playoff caliber roster. This staff is also much better than people want to give it credit for

There are plenty of question marks on this coaching staff:

1. Have a sub-par ST coordinator who has done nothing to change that perception.

2. Have changed WR and LB coach after one season.

3. Play calling by Hackett left a lot to be desired last year

The good stuff was that Marrone did not make too many boneheaded calls like his predecessors. He seemed calm under duress and knew to put senior players in place (Dareus, Stevie). I think coach Marrone has earned his respect. Now it is up to Nate and Schwartz to bring the intensity.

It is all on the new ownership. They could fire everyone even if they make the playoffs. It doesn't mean it would be the right thing to do but do you think Donald Trump or any other billionaire is going to listen to anything Brandon has to say. Whaley has some credibility from the Steelers and it is unlikely he would get fired. Add the racial factor of firing one of the few African-American GM's in the NFL before he was really given a chance to fail or succeed and I don't see it happening. And if Whaley is in charge I can't see Marrone getting fired. Could a Wade Phillips scenario occur over the OC? Perhaps. If the offense tanks and Marrone is unwilling to remove Hackett then Whaley could have no choice but to start over from the top.

Three things:

1. Yes, it really is about the new owners and what they want (assuming there is one in place by the end of the season.)
  2. If the new owners want their "man" as the GM or if the new owners are like Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones, Whaley is good as gone.
  3. IMHO, the only thing that will save Doug and his staff will be a winning season this year and the playoff starting next year. The only way Whaley will save Doug's job is by providing talent.

There are plenty of question marks on this coaching staff:

1. Have a sub-par ST coordinator who has done nothing to change that perception.

2. Have changed WR and LB coach after one season.

3. Play calling by Hackett left a lot to be desired last year

The good stuff was that Marrone did not make too many boneheaded calls like his predecessors. He seemed calm under duress and knew to put senior players in place (Dareus, Stevie). I think coach Marrone has earned his respect. Now it is up to Nate and Schwartz to bring the intensity.

I agree with the ST. That needs to improve. Position coach changes don't do enough for me. As for the play calling, we had 3 rookie QBs playing last year. This wasnt Kurt Warner out there. Hackett designed a 400 yard game plan with his 4th option at QB against the number ranked D. He knows what he's doing

14 years with no playoffs...how many coaches and GMs have we had in that span?

You're funny. No matter how many bad regimes come through, you always want to stay the course!!! B-)

This is an organization with a losing culture so thoroughly lodged in its heart and soul changes have to be made. I honestly do not think they have the talent to play as contenders, still lots of questions at QB. This team has been poorly coached, horrible drafts. lousy scouting, poor FA aquisitions, and overall FO incompetence since 2000. I am sure someone will correct me regarding recent drafts but the bottom line is no playoff appearance since 1999 and when they got close in 2004 got beat in a must win game by the Steelers second team at home. If I'm the new owner I follow the 1989 Dallas model - clean house and start over.

This is an organization with a losing culture so thoroughly lodged in its heart and soul changes have to be made. I honestly do not think they have the talent to play as contenders, still lots of questions at QB. This team has been poorly coached, horrible drafts. lousy scouting, poor FA aquisitions, and overall FO incompetence since 2000. I am sure someone will correct me regarding recent drafts but the bottom line is no playoff appearance since 1999 and when they got close in 2004 got beat in a must win game by the Steelers second team at home. If I'm the new owner I follow the 1989 Dallas model - clean house and start over.

I am pretty sure that the last few years you are looking at the rebuild. They stopped trying to plug holes with vets like Dockery, Barnett, etc... and tore it down. They drafted the guy that the believe to be their franchise QB. They also traded up for a guy that is the highest rated skill player in 4 years. They rebuilt their OL & pass rush over the last 3 years as well. I know some people will choose to be negative no matter what but I think that it's pretty clear that the rebuild is almost complete. Hopefully, the results will follow but to act like they haven't been rebuilding is just wrong. Edited by Kirby Jackson