FWIW Bill Polian wasn't too keen on part of our draft.

I caught only the end of the interview on Sirius radio but Polian was asked about general draft strategy/selection value and twice he referred to what the Bills did. The first reference was something to the effect of Buffalo paying a VERY steep price for Watkins, especially if such a player doesn't make the difference in making the play-offs and if we don't then he REALLY thinks that we got robbed. He said the difference withe the Cornelius Bennett trade was that Bennett was the piece that really put the team together and that he (we) got VERY lucky/fortunate that we were able to get Thurman Thomas the next year in the 2nd rd, our first pick due to the compensation that was paid for Bennett.

The second reference was made about our 7th rd pick (OT Seantrel Henderson) when they were discussing what would make him exclude a player from being considered as a selection. Polian said almost per batim that he didn't know where that was going to get us. Ouch, I was kind of excited about that pick, hoping that we might have found a hidden diamond.

I'm not so elated about this draft like I was before today. I sure hope that Polian is being just a bit harsh in his evaluations but him and Gil Brandt are the 2 that I revere the most when it comes to football knowledge and insights. I didn't catch much commentary during and after our draft so any input is welcomed.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BP is admittedly conservative and would not have endorsed that deal. I understand he did not even have Gronkowski on their draft board due to concerns with his back - a guy like our troubled OT from the U would similarly never have made his... In the end, we swung for the fences and hopefully we get a couple of runs...

BP is admittedly conservative and would not have endorsed that deal. I understand he did not even have Gronkowski on their draft board due to concerns with his back - a guy like our troubled OT from the U would similarly never have made his... In the end, we swung for the fences and hopefully we get a couple of runs...

Cornelius Bennett?

Thurman had injury troubles...

Cornelius Bennett?

Thurman had injury troubles...

those comments were straight from BP's mouth earlier this AM...and even then, I didn't think it fair for him to say because of the Bennett trade. He just sounds like he is not sold on EJ, which makes the Watkins trade a waste to him. Literally did not have Gronkowski on his board while at Indy - their medical said the next back injury could end his career...

I don't buy his argument about Bennett.

If you think about it, the trade occurred in 1987, right after the players' strike ended. The year before (1986), the Bills went 4-12. At the time of the trade, the Bills were 3-3. There was definitely a sense that the Bills were on the rise, but it's not like they were a player away or anything. They still had a lot of team needs, and Polian still mortgaged the future -- remember, that was a player in exchange for the following year's #1 and #2, and the year after that's #1. That's huge, much larger than this one. For a team that just came off a 4-12 campaign.

I understand he did not even have Gronkowski on their draft board due to concerns with his back -

It's funny that you said that because he mentioned that as well. He said Dungy and Caldwell and one other administrator wanted to pass on Gronk because they couldn't rely on Gronk and Dungy didn't want to carry an extra TE in case he went down for any period of time. Polian then stated that he asked one more time like, "Are you sure that you want to pass on him because we'll have to play against him", or something very well to that effect. I must say that BP was talking very UnPolian like and I was left with some uneasiness about what our FO was doing. I'll go on record now, with all due respect to BP, I like what we did in our draft and I'm fully on board with it. I like it not only for the player(s) that we got but also getting out from under Stevie's contract and I know that this may sound callous and is VERY unpopular but also replacing and, I think, improving immensely on this position. As much as I love Stevie and appreciate how much he liked being a Bill, he was unreliable and dropped too many crucial passes. We needed to improve at the #WR position and he wasn't the answer, no matter how much we all loved him. I also feel that if we make the play-offs, and I feel that that it's very realistic, especially with Watkins, our former 1st rd pick next year will start at #20 or later, especially if we were to win 1 play-off game then it will convert to being in the late 20's. To me that is worth the risk and compensation.

If you think about it, the trade occurred in 1987, right after the players' strike ended. The year before (1986), the Bills went 4-12. At the time of the trade, the Bills were 3-3. There was definitely a sense that the Bills were on the rise, but it's not like they were a player away or anything. They still had a lot of team needs, and Polian still mortgaged the future -- remember, that was a player in exchange for the following year's #1 and #2, and the year after that's #1. That's huge, much larger than this one. For a team that just came off a 4-12 campaign.

There is little mystery as to whether the Watkins trade up deal and its cost is worth it or not. It boils down to how EJ plays. If he struggles then the superlative talent that Watkins possesses will be squandered, as will the talents of Goodwin, Willians and Woods. Whaley and the coaching staff believe (hope) that Manuel will take a major step forward from his middling rookie season. The organization is taking a calculated gamble that the qb that they selected last year with their first round pick will develop into a legitimate franchise qb.

I wish I would have heard it. BP is very interesting to listen to. Sirius NFL Radio has the most knowledgeable football guys in the business. From Gil Brandt to Ross Tucker there are entire generations in between and even younger. Rich Gannon is horrible on TV but if you listen to him get in to some real football talk on Sirius you realize how f'n smart that guy is and you might be like me; you might look back at his career and see things entirely different. The guy might be HOF worthy, MIGHT. And I hate Rich Gannon the TV guy and never really liked him as a player, either. But, he played smart and it shows when he speaks. Pat Kirwan, Jim Miller, Alex Marvez, Vic Carruci, and Steve Torre really solidify a core unit of folks. The rest - are just as good.

Polian, however, will say many things that open your eyes to a better perspective of what the goings-on are in the league on a behind the scenes and in the office viewpoint. Some times he will be out of touch on what reality is - I forget his Tim Tebow statements, but they reflect this. It was something along the line of him being a HOF running back / H-Back. Bill Polian is a great football mind and will know twice as much as the average football fan and 1/2 of what I will ever know but much like every other NFL mind he cannot keep up. And this is not a knock against him, it is just reality. Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, and our own Marv Levy are examples of this. If anyone should be praised for their overall knowledge and expertise on the NFL, Gil Brandt is still the best NFL mind out there - an 81 year old man his mark in the NFL started in the 1950's, over 60 years ago and his contribution to the game is still exhibited every year in every scouting report.

Sorry to be all over the place, I am tired as hell...but yeah, Sirius NFL Radio is amazing.

Nice catch...And if he was at Mass he would be mass per batim.

it was an easy catch, it really sticks.

Bill Polian is out of the league for a reason. He's complaining about a 7th round pick with 1st round ability? Those are the kind of picks you make in the 7th round. If you get anything out of a 7th rounder, it is a plus.

Bill Polian is out of the league for a reason. He's complaining about a 7th round pick with 1st round ability? Those are the kind of picks you make in the 7th round. If you get anything out of a 7th rounder, it is a plus.

We didn't hear it in context, and in fairness it looks as if he was asked. Clearly he keeps tabs on the Bills, and that he has an opinion about what we did - well, I am thankful.

If he would have said nothing at all, would we have a thread "Bill Polian hates us!" "He didn't bring us up one time today on NFLN!!!! !@#$!"

I heard the interview this morning with BP. A couple of things:

- I didn't get the impression that he was completely negative on the Watkins trade, just that we gave up a lot and that we're betting a second (or third including next year) draft on EJ. If EJ works out, it's ok.

- The quotes above about Gronkowski very accurately depict what he said about Gronk not being on his draft board and his comments in the draft room about it. It was very insightful. But, he went on to say that in the win now league as it is, these decisions are evolving. If the player will be good for a few years, that's ok whereas in the past you wanted longevity.

- He did make the comment out "the Bills 7th round pick of the kid from Miami is a head scratcher" when he was talking about taking a chance on some kids with character flaws. He said that right after saying that it's fine to have a few. But, as Piz said, a 7th rounder, so what if he flames out.

On a different note, a couple of comments about Gil Brandt.

- Last week he was asked about trading up for Watkins. He replied that you never trade up high in the draft for a skill player unless it's a quarterback. I was then listening to him on Sirius XM when the Bills trade was announced. He immediately said, "the Bills pick is Mathews, you can bank on it." When it was announced as Watkins, he didn't have much to say at all. Although I never heard him say it, I don't think he liked the trade / pick.

First, there is no tarnish to Polian's career. He's out of the league because the man's 70 now and it's very much a young man's game or you happen to be hired by the Bills in 2006 or 2010. No one collected more talent both before and after the cap came into effect. No one. He's a HOF GM.

Gronkowski's injury history is one thing...as we've seen players are viewed differently by each team. See Kouandjio. Henderson has gotten into trouble with the law and is thus a completely separate case. This is an apples and oranges comparison.

1987 was 27 years ago and the NFL was a completely different game. Comparing personnel decisions made before the cap and after is not appropriate for the discussion. I get that people here want to run down anyone who doesn't high five the Bills draft, but Polian's legacy is settled and he'll be in Canton one day. Back then, the Bills didn't have any other method (and I believe it was before even Plan B FA) to acquire players.

Besides, as others have noted, BP knew he had a QB, a premier DE and a lot of other outstanding players in an era which wasn't as pass happy.

actually Polian was great at finding guys in later rounds he just wasnt very good with the 1st rounders

Gosh, well let me hop in my Delorean and set it for 1991 so I can give a damn what Bill Polian thinks of our draft.

NOBODY is qualified to grade a draft until we actually see these guys play.