RD2, Pick #44: T Cyrus Kouandjio - University of Alabama

SDS

Veteran players on notice after 2014 NFL draft include BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Nick Fairley

Erik Pears, RT, Bills: Pears’ job was in jeopardy heading into the draft, before the Bills even did anything to address his position. Buffalo then used two picks on OTs: a second-rounder on Cyrus Kouandjio and a seventh-rounder on reputed malcontent Seantrel Henderson.

Kouandjio is the real threat for Pears and Chris Hairston. He was flagged by several teams for a lingering knee ailment, but a healthy Kouandjio brings far more pop up front than either of the returning options. For a team that wants to run the ball and needs to protect its young QB, being able to use Kouandjio as a starter would be an absolute gift.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, we'll see, but weak slow and injured is a bad hat trick

He's not injured...He played and practiced the past two years without incident. There is still questions about he knee and how it will hold up long-term...But he's fine right now...He even extended his workout at the 2nd Pro Day to show scouts his stamina...

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/04/cyrus_kouandjio_alabama_offens.html

Watch the LSU highlights I posted earlier in this thread and tell me how slow and weak he looks while playing against one of the better Defenses in College football (LSU ranked 8th in total D)...He can move just fine...He's an OT...not a track athlete...You can tell how well drilled he was and how he does not waste steps on the field...This kid is polished coming out in comparison to a lot of prospect OT's...Remember his College coaches feel he can be better than DJ Fluker who had a great rookie season in San Diego last year...And Fluker, who is not quite as big as Kouandjio, was "slow and weak" at his Combine too (21 reps and a 5.31 40 time)...They're Alabama OT's...They're very good...

Lastly...I think if were going to trust Marrone on anything...it should be to develop a RT with the God given ability of Kouandjio...Our HC is an ex NFL O-lineman, and an ex O-line coach...I'm guessing Marrone saw enough of Cyrus to think he can turn him into something special... B-)

Oh for christ sake......

The kid has gone through YEARS of practices and games without incident....he has been cleared medically.......

This was supposed to be a FIRST ROUND TACKLE......we are getting him in the second.......he is an absolutely mauler.

We should be thankful he was even available for us in the 2nd.......he isnt the underpowered "try hard" Eric Pears.....this is a mover of men. Watch how much easier its gonna be to run to that side of the line now

@ChrisTrapasso

Cyrus Kouandjio's film certainly shows some off-balance whiffs, but #Bills fans will like this play ---> https://vine.co/v/MgwXnreudaD

I was looking for this. Besides being friggin hilarious, I think it gives us a bit of a hint on this guy.

How many bench reps are required: to set a guy up like he's beaten you outside, and then flatten him with one arm?

What I like best is the mentality necessary for that. When I say mentality? Check this out at 10:42(just click the link):

Yeah, same exact play. Not a one-time thing. I love guys that are looking to embarrass, punish, etc., the other team. I love guys that look to show up the other team, not after the whistle, but before it.

It's like a takeaway checker in lacrosse. You can affect the other team by making them look foolish/take away their momentum/make them quit. At the very least they will very wary of you, because they don't want to be embarrassed again, at that by itself changes what they will do.

It's a small thing, but, if this indicative of Kujo's mentality? When he said "Yes it is"...a warning to other teams? Take these two things together: I am inclined to believe him.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Regarding Draft value, this kid is Cordy Glenn 2.0....he will be a guy in two years, much like Glenn this year, where broadcasters and pundits alike will say, "Boy, the BILLS did one heck of a job grabbing him in the 2nd Round in 2014"....love this pick!

I'm always a fan of Alabama linemen. I love the idea of him as our RT. hopefully he plays with a giant chip on his shoulder.

Regarding Draft value, this kid is Cordy Glenn 2.0....he will be a guy in two years, much like Glenn this year, where broadcasters and pundits alike will say, "Boy, the BILLS did one heck of a job grabbing him in the 2nd Round in 2014"....love this pick!

Disagree. The draft "experts" will never admit they are wrong. Kiper is still salty about Glenn.

I'm always a fan of Alabama linemen. I love the idea of him as our RT. hopefully he plays with a giant chip on his shoulder.

Disagree. The draft "experts" will never admit they are wrong. Kiper is still salty about Glenn.

Hahaha!! Well, Kiper may not admit it, but some will have the humility to do so...that said, even if he doesn't say it on air, the rest of BILLS Nation will know....

According to Nix, he was the one that started the rumor that Glenn was only a G.

Kipper probably is still a bit butthurt after falling for that.

I'm glad we added a lineman as per our dire need to improve our offensive trench. However, I really wish this pick had been Moses. Kouandjio has good size and potential, but I watched highlights from his VTech game this past season and while it was only one game, it gives you a pretty good insight into his play. I only saw a handful of really great tackle plays and mostly holding penalties that went uncalled in college but won't be in the flag-happy NFL; especially from such a visible position as tackle. He tends to over-commit to DL initial moves and leaves himself open for fakes. Has good speed but once fatigue sets in is greatly prone to grabs and holds. Love to have someone disagree with me here but I really can't be so optimistic with this addition. Wish it could have been more impactful.

I'm glad we added a lineman as per our dire need to improve our offensive trench. However, I really wish this pick had been Moses. Kouandjio has good size and potential, but I watched highlights from his VTech game this past season and while it was only one game, it gives you a pretty good insight into his play. I only saw a handful of really great tackle plays and mostly holding penalties that went uncalled in college but won't be in the flag-happy NFL; especially from such a visible position as tackle. He tends to over-commit to DL initial moves and leaves himself open for fakes. Has good speed but once fatigue sets in is greatly prone to grabs and holds. Love to have someone disagree with me here but I really can't be so optimistic with this addition. Wish it could have been more impactful.

Marrone disagrees.

The scouting report on Moses was that he sucked until this year. Also, I'd argue that playing LT at Alabama is slightly more impressive than playing LT at a crappy Virginia program. I guess we'll see who was right in a few years.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

You realize Moses went 34th overall, right?

This years line could be the best in the league ! If the kid from Miami works out it could be even better B/c they said his talent is off the chart they just worry about his off the field issues .

But i think Whaley & company did fantastic & the play off drought is all but over this year !!

The scouting report on Moses was that he sucked until this year. Also, I'd argue that playing LT at Alabama is slightly more impressive than playing LT at a crappy Virginia program. I guess we'll see who was right in a few years.

+1....sometimes, people just have to mine for reasons to b*tch...