Anthony Dixon - Fred's replacement ?

I don't know a lot about Dixon as I didn't see him play in college or at SF. I watched a few you tube highlights posted on here and I know many were excited when he signed with the Bills. Can anyone who has watched him play post insight as to whether he could step in for Fred if needed or is he more of a FB/ST player? I live in sports fear that Fred gets injured or age catches up with him this year and we are left with CJ to get the tough yards. I know there are different schools of thought as to whether we should draft a RB this year who can take over for Fred when needed, be it this year or next. Also, would we be able to keep 4 RBs? If Dixon isn't the guy to back up Fred, is it Ronnie Wingo Jr? It just seems Marrone really wants to run the ball and while I love CJ he isn't going to be the guy on 4th and 1. And I would prefer we don't punt on 4th and 1 in the opponent's territory. Again.

Dixon is a bruiser RB that is a pretty much exclusively a short yardage/goalline back in the NFL.

I don't think he's a guy you give the ball 10-15 times a game and ask him to make plays.

OK - so similar to Frank Summers?

Based on the college highlights I have seen, I would have no problem giving Dixon a bunch of carries, should injuries so demand, and see what he can do.

He looks to me like he could break a few, if given the chance.

That said I think Fred will semi-surprise with a good and healthy year in 2014 and put up numbers yet again.

You cannot replace Fred Jackson.

He may be my favorite Bills running back. With OJ, Davis, Thomas, Lynch, McGahee, and Henry, we've had a lot of good folks, but Fred Jackson is irreplaceable. To the left to the left.

He's got 458 rushing yards in his career. The last three seasons combined he's had 221 yards. He's a ST guy who if the Bills at some point draft a RB will be fighting for a roster spot.

Oh c'mon don't bring stats into the picture...

Fred's the man. He's an inspiration. That said it's prudent to make plans for the future and have overlapping talent so you're not caught pants down if your number one goes down. Dixon won't be Fred's replacement. I do think they'll draft that man this year though.

I don't think Dixon is anything but a special teams player and occasional short-yardage back. He won't factor into the plans much.

Injuries come, again, I feel comfortable with giving this guy 20 carries one game and seeing what happens.

I don't think he has had that opportunity before.

Should it happen, he will cross 100 yards for that game, very possibly.

You cannot replace Fred Jackson.

He may be my favorite Bills running back. With OJ, Davis, Thomas, Lynch, McGahee, and Henry, we've had a lot of good folks, but Fred Jackson is irreplaceable. To the left to the left.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Joe Cribbs was my alltime favorite. Jackson is right there with him now

I think the Bills will not draft a running back but will bring in several UFA's for training camp and sort through them. Every running back drafted and making a roster will bump someone with some NFL experience and the Bills will also sort through these guys. There is only one football.

Dixon is a nice compliment for depth on this team. You'll see him on a goal line press with Frank Summers for a big package. He'll be excellent on ST, and no he is not Fred. I see Fred having a good year, and we may draft a RB next year. I'm fine with that as someday Fred will slow down, but he's shown no evidence he is sliding yet.

Just b/c other RB's drop off at Fred's age, does not mean he has done so.