Was Manuel Whaley's choice or Nix's??

I think by just looking at last years draft it was obvious that it was Whaleys draft and Nix was prob already in advisor role.

In saying that I believe Manuel was Marrone's call although Whaley obviously had the final say

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way, be it Whaley or Nix, it has been stated more than once that we are all in on EJ. It has also been stated that they really like Thad as well. There will be no QB this year. None. If they both bomb this year though you can bet that they go in on a QB next year. If there is no progression they will not wait considering the talent we have on the roster.

I think they take one in the 3rd or 4th round, depending. They really aren't that enamored with the backup QB situation.

GO BILLS!!!

FWIW, wasn't Whaley on the record, last year as saying Manuel was his choice? I seem to remember somebody, Whaley-hating, linking an article that quoted Whaley saying as much. Now, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that Buddy had no input, but as you would expect, Whaley, the GM was taking full repsonsibility/credit for picking EJ.

yup - i believe it was at some STH function at the stadium as the first time

my thought was nix played it so that if manuel busted, nix could take the fall for the pick and give whaley one more shot at drafting a qb, while if manuel worked out great then whaley could ride that success as a long-term gm.

Since Nix was incapable of drafting a QB (apologies to Levi Brown), it was clearly Whaley. The whole draft. Buddy probably gave a few words on each guy and then just nodded in agreement. His keys had been taken away.

Since Nix was incapable of drafting a QB (apologies to Levi Brown), it was clearly Whaley. The whole draft. Buddy probably gave a few words on each guy and then just nodded in agreement. His keys had been taken away.

you are aware that nix drafted philip rivers, who was a top-5 quarterback last year?

Knowing he was going to be the General Manager, I am sure that Whaley was on board with the selection, if it was not his altogether.

And for the 1,000th time...he has already stated that EJ Manuel IS THE BILLS QB, and they will draft accordingly to surround him with talent.

That way if EJ fails this year the talent will be there for the new QB. Hey that is just how business is ran in the NFL

I think they take one in the 3rd or 4th round, depending. They really aren't that enamored with the backup QB situation.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope you mean developmental (Tuel, Dixon) and not backup (Lewis). I would be disappointed if they did not bring in a veteran to displace Thad if they did not like him. I don't see how one of the 2nd tier of quarterbacks in this draft could be counted on if they need to play next year. It would be a huge gamble assuming they are trying to push for the playoffs.

you are aware that nix drafted philip rivers, who was a top-5 quarterback last year?

No, I was not aware of that. The SD chargers drafted Eli Manning that year. The Giants drafted Rivers and then they swapped QBs.

I'm surprised you missed that. It was in all the papers and everything.

I hope you mean developmental (Tuel, Dixon) and not backup (Lewis). I would be disappointed if they did not bring in a veteran to displace Thad if they did not like him. I don't see how one of the 2nd tier of quarterbacks in this draft could be counted on if they need to play next year. It would be a huge gamble assuming they are trying to push for the playoffs.

They'd be looking for someone to come in and claim the number #2 spot and that includes Lewis. This generation's Frank Reich, who was drafted stictly to provide better depth than was currently on the squad at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

From what Whaley stated is that he had some input in hiring Doug Marrone, Mike Pettine, and the selection of EJ.

Buddy Nix was technically the GM, and Whaley didn't take over until after the draft. Whaley also stated he is all in on EJ.

Looking for accountability perhaps?

No, I was not aware of that. The SD chargers drafted Eli Manning that year. The Giants drafted Rivers and then they swapped QBs.

I'm surprised you missed that. It was in all the papers and everything.

so what youre saying is that as a gm, nix turned one first round draft pick into philip rivers, a four-time pro bowl quarterback, a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, and a 5th round pick. sounds like a win to me (go buddy!)

yes, technically nix did not draft philip rivers, but for all intents and purposes, rivers was nix's pick. do you really disagree?

My guess is that there is -ZERO- chance that the Bills draft a QB this year... The plan is to build up the offense around EJ this year... So it just doesn't matter...

Can spend a 4th or lower on one if one catches their eye. I'm pulling for EJ but would like a Boyd or a mettenberger on the bench if they fall.

GO BILLS!!!

I am now going a bit off-topic here, but I am not sure how a 3rd or 4th round rookie can help fill the backup QB role. I would think that Thad Lewis is comparatively better suited for that role. If the FO is thinking of replacing the backup, they need to bring in an experienced hand (after the June or post-draft cuts). If they draft a 3rd or 4th rounder (I wouldn't mind it frankly), it means two out of Lewis, Dixon and Tuel are gone.

It was Whaley's draft. That's my take. I wouldn't understand why Nix would draft players Whaley disagreed with picking when Nix was on his way out.

Also, is there a player in particular you are comparing to "possibly the next B. Favre" in this draft?

I disagree. It may have been a shared responsibility but Nix was the head GM at the time of the draft. While I would imagine there was consensus if it came down to one or the other having say organizational structure would say that Nix prevailed. Otherwise why not make the change before the draft with Nix serving in an advisory capacity?

I am now going a bit off-topic here, but I am not sure how a 3rd or 4th round rookie can help fill the backup QB role. I would think that Thad Lewis is comparatively better suited for that role. If the FO is thinking of replacing the backup, they need to bring in an experienced hand (after the June or post-draft cuts). If they draft a 3rd or 4th rounder (I wouldn't mind it frankly), it means two out of Lewis, Dixon and Tuel are gone.

If it is someone like Aaron Murray that started for 4 years in the SEC it's possible. I feel the same way about McCarron. They may never be franchise guys (even though I love Murray) but are smart, experienced and don't make a lot of mistakes. That is the recipe for a good back-up IMO.

We don't know.

We'll never know.

WTF does it matter?

You are seriously No fun sometimes BB .

Nix had messed up by not solving the QB equation.

Then was painted into a corner. Which Whaley inherited I think .

Whaley saved grace and was able to at least trade down and add a pick.

I thinks Nix's conceptuality of " getting er done" was gently overidden by Whaleys "we would consider it " . :flirt:

Nix loosened the reins and Whaley began to trot .

I think its all Doug now , of course . And better for it :thumbsup:

But to the point , i think that draft was the transition period effectively. This one is ALL Dougie Fresh .

Go Bills

my thought was nix played it so that if manuel busted, nix could take the fall for the pick and give whaley one more shot at drafting a qb, while if manuel worked out great then whaley could ride that success as a long-term gm.

Nice thought. And not far fetched John Edited by 3rdand12

EJ is the background/wallpaper on buffalobills.com so that alone should tell you their thoughts on him and answer the question as to whether Whaley might be secretly considering a QB in round 1.