My New NFL Draft idea...

It's better because the Bills would now (under Oman's new draft rules and regulations) draft one offensive player with the 41st pick and one defensive player with the 41st pick.

It's a 2fer, teams have a 2O pick and a 2D pick that they make in tandem.

yea but there would be more players off the board before our 41st pick since 8 teams are making 16 picks.

in theory its a bit like trading back from 41 and then using the pick you gain to move up from the 3rd rounder (as far as value compared to the current system).... or if you simply mandated round 2 was offense, and 3 was defense, youd get the same effect.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could mandate the even rounds teams picking from worst to first, and the odd rounds picking first to worst. So This year Houston picks first in rounds 2, and Seattle picks first in round 3.

You could mandate the even rounds teams picking from worst to first, and the odd rounds picking first to worst. So This year Houston picks first in rounds 2, and Seattle picks first in round 3.

so now its a snake draft too?

can we come up with any other twists to throw in? like maybe we could do an auction/bidding system and the bad teams get more to bid with?

yea but there would be more players off the board before our 41st pick since 8 teams are making 16 picks.

in theory its a bit like trading back from 41 and then using the pick you gain to move up from the 3rd rounder (as far as value compared to the current system).... or if you simply mandated round 2 was offense, and 3 was defense, youd get the same effect.

By the 41st pick (let's call it the 50th pick under these circumstances) the Bills will have chosen 3 players, rather than 2.

Unless it's an odd year containing no less than 2 blue moons at which point nothing really matters anyway.

In the 5th round they bring out the lotto machine and each team has 1 ball, and they draw the order of who picks where in round 5.

every pick gets called a "compensatory pick." nothing actually changes, but every fan is baffled by the secret formula that seems to run from worst record to superbowl champion.

You could trade your Defensive pick with a team that has a strong O and weak D, and have to picks in the O round.

So, hypothetically, you have to give up assets just to be able to use your 2nd rd pick the way you want? And this idea is supposed to help teams get better?

So, hypothetically, you have to give up assets just to be able to use your 2nd rd pick the way you want? And this idea is supposed to help teams get better?

I'm not saying I agree, I'm just giving you a solution to that specific problem.

And with our second round defensive pick, the Bills pick defensive back Blake Bortles

On that note, how do special teams players work? Because you can draft a QB as a "placeholder" during that round.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

You could trade your Defensive pick with a team that has a strong O and weak D, and have to picks in the O round.

What if I draft a DB in the offensive round and state that I'm drafting him as a WR, and then after the draft I decide he's really just gonna stay on defense?

Why stop there, lets assign a college conference to each NFL division on a rotating basis, so for example this year only AFC East teams can draft SEC players, only NFC teams get to draft Big East players, and so forth. Once a division's teams have used up all their picks, the conference is available to the rest of the league.

I think it would be interesting but not logical. The teams that pick early get the better selection in the next round as it is...

The draft used to be 12 rounds. It really was a lot different then. In a good way. Now we have a lot of tape, study and its Hi-Def. We do a lot more homework prior to the draft. It might not be that effective. Plus, UDFA's are a good business.

I don't think it's a bad idea. I just don't think it's a good idea.