My New NFL Draft idea...

What if the NFL changed its format for the draft, starting in round 2. Round 1 is exactly the same.

In rounds 2,3 and 4 each team gets to select 1 offensive and 1 defensive player per round. So bad teams, in theory get to help both sides of the ball at the same time with better talent.

At the end of the 4th round you have effectively selected 7 rounds of talent.

Edited by oman128

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because no team wants to pick 2 good players per round instead of 1? I think it's a great idea. Look at all the mock drafts who predict who the Bills will take in round 2, now imaging getting 2 players instead of just 1 of them.

The Bills TE in round 1,

Round 2 OT and FS

Round 3 DE and OG

Round 4 QB and CB

Edited by oman128

Because no team wants to pick 2 good players per round instead of 1? I think it's a great idea. Look at all the mock drafts who predict who the Bills will take in round 2, now imaging getting 2 players instead of just 1 of them.

The Bills TE in round 1,

Round 2 OT and FS

Round 3 DE and OG

Round 4 QB and CB

Except the talent is all dried up by the time you get to round 3/4.

I like the out-of-the-box thinking. May give too large of an advantage to the teams picking first though.

Yes, and yes.

Although it would give a lot of people who tune out after the first round extra incentive to watch!

so you (basically) want to double the # of draft picks in rounds 2 - 7.

how do you factor in salaries and cap space??

a lot of teams don't keep all 7 draftees now it will be over 1o = p[layers per team that may not get a chance on a team that could use them

If more higher draft picks helped bad teams become better teams, the same bad teams wouldn't need to be picking so high every year...

I would go for this only if the fans could pick one of the picks in each round. How could they do worse?

Not a chance...half the kids who get drafted don't make their teams as it is, you would have to increase the roster or practice squad size.

A better "draft idea," would be to have the draft in the city that wins the Super Bowl, or in the city with the 1st overall pick...or rotate it every year.

Edited by Bob Malooga

What if the NFL changed its format for the draft, starting in round 2. Round 1 is exactly the same.

In rounds 2,3 and 4 each team gets to select 1 offensive and 1 defensive player per round. So bad teams, in theory get to help both sides of the ball at the same time with better talent.

At the end of the 4th round you have effectively selected 7 rounds of talent.

What was your old draft idea?

so you (basically) want to double the # of draft picks in rounds 2 - 7.

how do you factor in salaries and cap space??

a lot of teams don't keep all 7 draftees now it will be over 1o = p[layers per team that may not get a chance on a team that could use them

no, atleast i dont THINK thats what he was saying - he wants 4 total rounds with 2, 3, and 4 being twice as long and you are mandated to pick once on each side of the ball, for no apparent reason.

so we would get 9, something like 50 (offense only) 51 (defense only) 120 (offense only) 121 (defense only) 200 (offense only) 201 (defense only)

it would be the same effect as saying after the first round you can only draft offense in even rounds and defense in odd rounds, essentially.... im not sure why he thinks its better though.

Edited by NoSaint

im not sure why he thinks its better though.

It's better because the Bills would now (under Oman's new draft rules and regulations) draft one offensive player with the 41st pick and one defensive player with the 41st pick.

It's a 2fer, teams have a 2O pick and a 2D pick that they make in tandem.