Bills actively trying to TRADE UP.

It just occurred to me that expanding the "lying season" on the NFL has done nothing other than bring more useless and unfounded speculation to the fore and almost makes anything GMs say during the lying season a mockery of the press and fans in general. Is it really worth trotting your GMs out there to scheme and lie for a month just so you can call May and "NFL month"?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only trade up scenarios I see are we are going all out for the #1 pick for Clowney or if Watkins falls to 5-6 we will trade up with Oakland/ATL. We know Evan or Watkins wouldn't make it past TB since they just traded M. Williams and need a WR.

and ... ?

jw

The Bills do not have the necessary assets to trade up. They have only 6 picks. Teams like SF with many extra picks will trade up using these assets without hurting their depth picks. After trading up, SF will still have as many or more picks than the Bills. We would be better off not falling in love with one of the top 6 players & trading down. We would then have 5 picks in the 1st 4 rounds in what has been described as a very deep draft.

All this talk of trading up for a WR, DE, or a LB seems so lame to me. When was the last time one of those players made enough impact to take their team to a super bowl? A WR? when was the last time 7 year all pro Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson was in the super bowl?

Name a defensive end who made enough impact to take his team to the super bowl. The Bills have one of the best in super Mario, were #2 in sacks, and can't even get to a winning season.

Like so many have already stated, that this team has more then one or two holes. If the team makes any moves at all, they should trade back to obtain more picks in one of the deepest (talent wise) drafts in recent history Trading away this years #2, and next years #1 seems outright moronic to me, unless its for a can't miss QB. Last time I looked there is no Andrew Luck, RG3 in this years draft. Johnny Football?

The Bills need 2-3 players on that O line, and some solid depth in order for EJ to develop properly. That's like five players right there with at least two being drafted in the first three rounds.

This draft will be Doug Whaley's legacy, and he will be remembered more for this draft then the previous as Buddy Nix was still the GM. If he screws this one up he probably won't get another chance any time soon IMO.

All this talk of trading up for a WR, DE, or a LB seems so lame to me. When was the last time one of those players made enough impact to take their team to a super bowl? A WR? when was the last time 7 year all pro Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson was in the super bowl?

Name a defensive end who made enough impact to take his team to the super bowl. The Bills have one of the best in super Mario, were #2 in sacks, and can't even get to a winning season.

Like so many have already stated, that this team has more then one or two holes. If the team makes any moves at all, they should trade back to obtain more picks in one of the deepest (talent wise) drafts in recent history Trading away this years #2, and next years #1 seems outright moronic to me, unless its for a can't miss QB. Last time I looked there is no Andrew Luck, RG3 in this years draft. Johnny Football?

The Bills need 2-3 players on that O line, and some solid depth in order for EJ to develop properly. That's like five players right there with at least two being drafted in the first three rounds.

This draft will be Doug Whaley's legacy, and he will be remembered more for this draft then the previous as Buddy Nix was still the GM. If he screws this one up he probably won't get another chance any time soon IMO.

I have a feeling that your head is going to explode next Thursday...

Are you saying that AJ Green didn't help Cincinnati to the playoffs? What about Julio Jones?

Both Giants Superbowls featured 1st round picks all along the defensive line. It's also noteworthy that Houston didn't make the playoffs until they drafted JJ Watt.

With all due respect, EJ Manuel will dictate Whaley's legacy far more than this draft.

May happen to many of us even if they do what we want...draft coverage is getting ridiculous these days.

The only trade up scenarios I see are we are going all out for the #1 pick for Clowney or if Watkins falls to 5-6 we will trade up with Oakland/ATL. We know Evan or Watkins wouldn't make it past TB since they just traded M. Williams and need a WR.

I don't think this is a given. While they may need to replace MW, it certainly doesn't mean they need to do that with the #7 overall pick. This is one of the deepest WR drafts in a long time. They can get a starting caliber WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. I see Lovie Smith taking the best defensive player available there or trading down. JMO.

...or one trolling on a message board.

Naw, check my posts. You will be able to tell that on most of them I spend so much time researching that I'm not trolling. I do think that talk of trading up to a top 3 pick is really not very sensible, so its just throwing stuff on the wall to see if it sticks. That's okay and some fun, but not well thought out. By the way, what and who are these "multiple sources" that say the Bills are "actively" trying to trade up? The presser by Whaley just said that the Bills might do anything in the world- exactly what nearly every other GM is saying at this time of year. What are the other sources,,, or is that just trolling? Edited by maryland-bills-fan

I would hate to see the bills trade up in general.. Unless it's for a QB.

And in this draft, I don't think there's a QB worth trading up for. As is always the case, you need a good QB to be a good team. Trading up to get another Mario Williams or even a Calvin Johnson type of talent is not going to put this team in playoffs if EJ is not the answer.

I don't think this is a given. While they may need to replace MW, it certainly doesn't mean they need to do that with the #7 overall pick. This is one of the deepest WR drafts in a long time. They can get a starting caliber WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. I see Lovie Smith taking the best defensive player available there or trading down. JMO.

It's not a given but I feel they would prefer more than a starting caliber WR in a later round. I do get your point on Lovie though. The guy does like his defensive players.

I'm not sure what the Steelers did has anything to do with what Whaley would or wouldn't do. I've learned from a lot of successful people during my travels and I don't lead exactly the same as any of them. Many of them refuse to use all the tools in their toolboxes for a variety of reasons.

I think it does. If you were involved with a winnning way of doing things why would you change them? in Pitt. Whaley saw two things first hand

1. You need a QB

2. You build your team through the draft, not FA.

This leads me to believe Whaley sits pat or moves back to collect more picks that could be starters- 1st-3rd rounders.

I think it does. If you were involved with a winnning way of doing things why would you change them? in Pitt. Whaley saw two things first hand

1. You need a QB

2. You build your team through the draft, not FA.

This leads me to believe Whaley sits pat or moves back to collect more picks that could be starters- 1st-3rd rounders.

I think that you plug holes in FA (see Graham, Williams, Rivers, Spikes) and find your stars in the draft.

It is possible that Whaley, Brandon and Marrone actually do not think they will be drafting another QB in the 1st round next year regardless. I know most fans and media believe this is the make or break year for EJ, and please don't jump on me for suggesting this because I am not saying I would agree, but many times QBs do get more than 2 years before the team starts over. So if they feel that they are going to give him 3 years instead of 2 then they might not be as protective of next year's #1 as we think.

Couple things - it seems OBD is trying to be all in on making the playoffs this year, as such could use all the players they can get high in this draft. If we were to move up, it would be a wonderful marketing ploy. With a new owner, none of their jobs are secure and probably the only one who may want to hold on to next years picks is Littman - other than that I would think OBD wants to make the splash and get to the playoffs if for no other reason than resume building.

So if there is a move up, my guess is that next years picks are on the table more than this years, maybe with a player for some immediate value to the trade partner.

Couple things - it seems OBD is trying to be all in on making the playoffs this year, as such could use all the players they can get high in this draft. If we were to move up, it would be a wonderful marketing ploy. With a new owner, none of their jobs are secure and probably the only one who may want to hold on to next years picks is Littman - other than that I would think OBD wants to make the splash and get to the playoffs if for no other reason than resume building.

So if there is a move up, my guess is that next years picks are on the table more than this years, maybe with a player for some immediate value to the trade partner.

Not sure that I understand the part about Littman. He is the only one certain to be gone after the sale.

:lol: Naa man. My head won't explode simply because my expectations for this regime are set so low for this draft. The Bills restocked the defense with some decent talent and went the other way for the offense. same old, same old.

I think that you plug holes in FA (see Graham, Williams, Rivers, Spikes) and find your stars in the draft.

Like they did with Chris Williams :sick:

I know what it would take to get this team into a winning mode, and one talented WR isn't it. Especially a rookie WR who will be learning his job in the pros as he goes. CJ Spiller is an elite RB, and this team hasn't found a way to win with him. The Bills have elite talent on the defense, and can't find a way to make that work for them either.

I like Doug Whaley, and hope he awakes from his "Buddy Nix oxygen deprived coma" long enough to make some intelligent choices next week.