Browns to draft Carr

Ruggiero

Joe Buscaglia on WGR just pointed out that Adam Caplin said on ESPN the Browns will select Derek Carr with the fourth pick of the draft. If it's true that news makes my Monday. A player that we would never of selected going ahead of us just letting one of our guys fall. Maybe Sammy falls to Oakland and we trade up or maybe it just helps Matthews or someone fall. Really hope it's a legit report.

How does anyone but the team know who is going to be picked?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. I think Whaley was smart giving his personnel folks a week off in April and right when he said study long, study wrong, if we are going nuts, the pros that do this for a living must be going bonkers . . . by the time the draft gets here, I think we'll have heard literally every possible scenario for every team --- please don't push the draft back another week next year !!

I agree. The only thing this does is allow teams to out-think themselves. I expect to see more Maybin type picks this year (but not by the Bills)

Edited by RyanC883

We got cute with EJ and moved down, got our man and Kiko pick for free.

There is no way they would take Carr at 4. Plenty of trade down partners in that scenario. I would give up our 2nd round pick to get Watkins.

Us drafting EJ at #16 would be close to the equivalent of Browns taking Carr at #4. Carr is almost universally thought of as a 1st round talent in a very deep draft. EJ was not viewed as a consensus 1st round pick. There was very little risk Manuel was gonna get picked before pick #16. Jets were only team we had to worry about. If Cleveland trades down from #4, decent chance one of Oakland or Minnesota takes him.

On the contrary, this would be great for the Bills. My Bills fantasy draft is:

1. Houston shocks everyone and gets bulldozed into the excitement and high risk when they decide to take Johnny football but fail at the last minute to pull off a deal to trade down so they take him #1.

2. This mistake gets amplified when a team hoping for a QB later in the top 10 sees Manziel go so warly and trades up into the top 4 and stupidly takes Bortles or Bridgewater.

3. 2 QBs having gone in the top 4, gives the Bills the ability to take an OT who should have been off the board, the suddenly dropping Mack, or heck even Watkins.

If hallucinogenic substances are involved and 3 or 4 QBs get taken before our pick then we could even trade down, get Lewan, and a first year starter level talent with the second pick we acquires, Us picking a QB with our #9 is likely a nightmare for us and a run on QBs by others would be the fantasy that makes our prospects great.

Honestly, if the Bills took Carr at 9, it would seem quite clear that said substances were involved.

Pettine is going to have plenty of input on that pick.

Pettine will have input...But from everything I've read, in the end, this will be a decision made by the owner first with an assist by the GM...Haslam is very involved in this... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Us drafting EJ at #16 would be close to the equivalent of Browns taking Carr at #4. Carr is almost universally thought of as a 1st round talent in a very deep draft. EJ was not viewed as a consensus 1st round pick. There was very little risk Manuel was gonna get picked before pick #16. Jets were only team we had to worry about. If Cleveland trades down from #4, decent chance one of Oakland or Minnesota takes him.

I'm sorry but this drives me crazy!!! He was a first round pick on Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock's board but he was on the Bills. He might have been on other teams too. We don't know. Brady wasn't high on Kiper's list. Stop taking draft "experts" as gospel. :)

Pettine will have input...But from everything I've read, in the end, this will be a decision made by the owner first with an assist by the GM...Haslam is very involved in this... B-)

Pettine said on the radio yesterday that Kyle Shanahan is more involved with setting up the offensive players on their board than he was because of the system and his lack of experience with offense, Not sure how true that is or how much that applies to the franchise QB.

Just got done reading about Hoyer at minicamp, when I came across this on PFT.com

The Browns also brought free agents Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen into camp on a tryout basis, and trick-shot artist Alex Tanney was also there.

I still expect the Brownies to pass on a QB in the first pick and select Watkins. 26th pick they go BPA.

Paired up with Gordon, the Browns would have one sick receiving corp with Gordon, Cameron and Watkins.

Can the Browns advance to the playoffs with Hoyer at helm? They could.

Quote taken from: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/29/brian-hoyer-taking-reps-at-browns-minicamp/

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Pick 4 is to early for the Brown's to pick a QB... Pick 9 would be better plus a extra draft pick or two... Bills could get the WR or OT they want with a trade... I think it could happen but the Bills may have to outbid another team trying to move up... Watkins or Evans sure would look good in a Bills Uniform as would Matthews and Lewan.... Crowney, Mack and Robinson will most likely go 1,2,3......

not buying this

That too. Maybe they'd like to drop into the #9 slot.

i was thinking the same thing. where we are at 9 seems like the right spot for a QB because its where the elite players have just run out in most mocks. im quite sure that the browns and bills have an excellent relationship what with 1) the pettine connection and 2) a regional/playoff-drought affinity for each other and so a 9/4 trade would make sense. both sides obviously want to win though, moving to 4 would cost us a lot, probably more than a second round pick (hopefully next year, this years depth through the second is too good to pass up!)

Edited by johnwalter

Pettine said on the radio yesterday that Kyle Shanahan is more involved with setting up the offensive players on their board than he was because of the system and his lack of experience with offense, Not sure how true that is or how much that applies to the franchise QB.

Right...

I just keep hearing that...basically...it's going to be Haslam's call...That he's going to take in all the information and if he agrees with the new GM and the Scouts fine...he'll let them handle it...But if he wants one of the QB's, and the GM, scouts, or coaches are against it...It's tough luck...They're taking the QB... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I'm sorry but this drives me crazy!!! He was a first round pick on Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock's board but he was on the Bills. He might have been on other teams too. We don't know. Brady wasn't high on Kiper's list. Stop taking draft "experts" as gospel. :)

I'm not. Not crazy to think Mayock, Kiper, Brandt, and other draft experts know more than you and me if for no other reason than who they talk to and interact with on a daily basis.

I'm not. Not crazy to think Mayock, Kiper, Brandt, and other draft experts know more than you and me if for no other reason than who they talk to and interact with on a daily basis.

This is the exact reason Mayock changes his top 5 at each position so often...He's tapped in and teams trust him with info...a lot...He's very, very close to Belichick for example...If he's hearing enough he's going to adjust his board accordingly...Mayock was the first one to elevate EJ Manuel to the #2 QB overall last year...That was not coincidence, and it definitely was not due solely to his film study of EJ...He knew there were teams that really liked EJ, and he probably knew Buffalo was one of them...So he elevated EJ...

So anyway...I agree...They know more if only for the reason that they talk to people off-the-record a lot with the promise of anonymity... B-)

I want Carr over Manziel... but really want one of the elite players at 4 so hope this isn't true and they can get Carr later!

If they wait to Draft a QB then they have to be OK internally with either A. The possibility that Manziel, Bortles, and Carr will be gone by #26...Maybe even Bridgewater too... Or... B. They are prepared to move back up from #26 to get their guy...And the second option does not come without risk...If Oakland, Minnesota, Tampa, and Tennessee all decide they want a QB Cleveland likely gets left out in the cold...I know that's a long-shot...But they have to be prepared for everything...

Too much can happen between #4 and #26...There are a ton of unknowns...It's a major risk for Cleveland to wait unless internally they are OK with any of the top 4 QB's, or if they like one of the 2nd tier guys equally... B-)

Pick 4 is to early for the Brown's to pick a QB... Pick 9 would be better plus a extra draft pick or two... Bills could get the WR or OT they want with a trade... I think it could happen but the Bills may have to outbid another team trying to move up... Watkins or Evans sure would look good in a Bills Uniform as would Matthews and Lewan.... Crowney, Mack and Robinson will most likely go 1,2,3......

I like and agree with this ^. Not sure on Lewan.